New shotgun, cz or ?

Places to hunt, firearms to use, problems encountered

Moderator: Moderator Pack

New shotgun, cz or ?

Postby ples0017 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:33 pm

Hey all, looking for a new shotgun, primarily used in the training fields and gunning at tests. I want a break open gun, and have shot mostly brownings but dontn ant the price tag. I don't mind the price point of the cz, looking at the drake or the upland ultralight. Have looked at the stoegers. Looking for thoughts and opinions, and yes would rather have the browning if money was no object so let's think under 900. Want it to go bang consistently.
Thanks
ples0017
Started
Started

Re: New shotgun, cz or ?

Postby jlw034 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:37 pm

ples0017 wrote:Hey all, looking for a new shotgun, primarily used in the training fields and gunning at tests. I want a break open gun, and have shot mostly brownings but dontn ant the price tag. I don't mind the price point of the cz, looking at the drake or the upland ultralight. Have looked at the stoegers. Looking for thoughts and opinions, and yes would rather have the browning if money was no object so let's think under 900. Want it to go bang consistently.
Thanks

I bought a CZ Mallard and sold it after a year. Didn't like the trigger, and it didn't fit me well. You could tell it was a 'budget' O/U, but for a training gun that isn't a bad thing.

My personal advice, look for a used 'B' gun. I got a 686 essential for $750 used, and I love it. It doesn't have to be pretty, but even a used one seems to perform at a higher level and a brand new budget gun.

For $900 I would think you could get a decent used 'B' gun that you will enjoy more than a CZ.
jlw034
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby jfwhit » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:56 pm

You sound like me last year. Only hunted with my Browning. Bought a new CZ Bobwhite 20ga from gunbroker. I really am happy with it. Used it throughout the season last year.
jfwhit
Started
Started

Postby NC Quailhunter » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:31 am

I got an Upland Ultralight in 12 gauge last year. I enjoyed carrying it all day in the quail woods. It was not my favorite gun on the skeet range. Light weight gun and multiple targets doe not make it fun to shoot. So to fix that I had a gun smith put a grind to fit recoil pad on it this spring. I ensured the LOP was known before the grinding began and it fits me great now. I also went away from 1 1/8 ounce shot to 1 ounce and that has made a huge difference on the skeet range and I am sure the birds will fall just fine. That is my experience so far with my CZ and I hope it helps.
NC Quailhunter
Started
Started

Postby Coveyrise64 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:14 pm

I don't own one of these but know people that do in 20ga. They can be bought for about $1100 which is about middle of the road for a new O/U and it has several features of the more expensive shotguns. Benelli owns the brand.

http://www.franchiusa.com/instinct-l-ov ... er-shotgun

cr
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

"There are always going to be those who prefer to freeze in the dark rather than put forth the effort to light a fire." ~ Lvrdg07
Coveyrise64
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ples0017 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:28 pm

Thanks for the feedback, , if you got a 686 for 750$ than you are a luckier man than I. I like the franchi's but are a little out of my price range, I am guessing I will go with the drake, I will let you know what is the results
ples0017
Started
Started

Postby blue04 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:20 pm

I'm not sure I've ever seen an O/U or SxS in the sub-$1000 price range that is consistently solid and reliable from gun to gun. You can get good guns in that price range, but it's really a complete crap shoot. Given the same make and model, you never know when you're buying it, whether each individual gun is going to be one of the "good ones" or a dud that will never be quite right (no matter how many times you send it back in for work). If you win the coin flip and happen to get a good one, it will likely be good for your lifetime. If you lose the coin flip, you'll be looking to trade it soon.
blue04
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby 3drahthaars » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:50 am

I don't think you can go wrong with a Jap' SKB... very well manufactured, modified Greener cross-bolt action, probably just as bullet proof as a "B" gun.

I have a 20ga/28" that i really like, except that like most B guns, it's on the heavy side 6lbs-15oz.

I am getting used to my new 1958 Sauer 16ga/28" (6lbs even), and may part with the 20 because of weight alone. But, that's the only reason.

Good luck,

3ds
3drahthaars
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Willie T » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:40 pm

Used beretta or browning can be had on your budget if you are patient. For an upland gun a 26" beretta in 20 ga. is a nimble little package. If you don't have the patience, I would atleast take a look at SKB. I have all 3 and the controls on the SKB are the most intuitive, it is the one I shoot the most, and a solid shotgun.
Willie
Willie T
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby azquailhntr » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:56 pm

Had a Beretta Whitewing that I loved to carry. super light! Couldn't hit anything with it cause it was too light. I sold it and bought an SKB 500 20 ga. about 1.5lbs heavier...can't miss with it(you know what i mean). I really like it and under $700 shipped to my FFL was the right price. Now looking for one with Skeet chokes for the dog trials. the Full/Mod I have can turn a little quail into a much littler quail that the dogs don't like to pick up...hurts the scores a little :oops: you should be able to find one under the $900 limit you stated earlier.
azquailhntr
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Dakotazeb » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:01 pm

3drahthaars wrote:I don't think you can go wrong with a Jap' SKB... very well manufactured, modified Greener cross-bolt action, probably just as bullet proof as a "B" gun.

I have a 20ga/28" that i really like, except that like most B guns, it's on the heavy side 6lbs-15oz.

I am getting used to my new 1958 Sauer 16ga/28" (6lbs even), and may part with the 20 because of weight alone. But, that's the only reason.

Good luck,

3ds

As I was reading this thread the used SKB/Ithaca guns are what came to mind. Excellent guns and you should be able to find something within your budget. You haven't really said what gauge you are looking for???? I'm also assuming you are looking for an O/U????
Janees August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

Godfather's Dakota Elle
1X NSTRA Champion
2008-2016
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5
Dakotazeb
Master Poster
Master Poster

Return to Hunting & Firearms