one gun vs several = Rain gun

Places to hunt, firearms to use, problems encountered

Moderator: Moderator Pack

one gun vs several = Rain gun

Postby woodboro » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:00 pm

Catchy subject , I'll start.

April/2017 Pointing Dog Journal's Larry Brown had an article about owning one gun vs several guns.

Many of us , started with a gun that was our go to gun.
Over time , like dogs , we migrate to other game , game birds and it leads us to buy other guns.

One of my first s x s's was an older Fox.
Modification , after modification and tons of birds shot over it , I thought I'd never ever sell it , because of my history with it.
It's now considered my backup gun , as well as my rain gun.
Last summer took it out to the skeet range , and basically couldn't hit a barn door with it , because it never fit me , I fit to it. :lol:

So what was your old pal you turned into a backup(rain) gun ????
Last edited by woodboro on Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
woodboro
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: one gun vs several = Rain gun

Postby orhunter » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:06 pm

I bought two A-5's of newer vintage so I wouldn't have to hunt with my nice old stuff.

All my rifles are rain rifles because it rains in deer and elk season.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby blue04 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:37 pm

I've got a bunch of guns that I wouldn't intentionally carry in a downpour, or hunting waterfowl while standing in water (likely to get dunked). I've been caught out with some of them and gotten rained on pretty good several times, but I avoid it if I can.

My go-to rain gun is also my go-to waterfowl gun. Benelli SBE II in 12 GA. It's been rained in and dunked so many times I've lost count. It's super easy to disassemble and clean (which is a big reason it's my rain gun), and is more or less bullet proof. I'll even use it for doves and quail if rain is extremely likely. If I don't expect rain, it's one of several 20 GA guns for everything except waterfowl.
blue04
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Constructeur » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:53 pm

I'll be the first wet blanket to the party. I never caught the 'nice gun' bug (I view more stuff as just that, more 'stuff') and as such only own synthetic stock guns I can be hard on.
I do keep telling myself 'someday' then the kiddo talks about studying abroad, and college and all that so...
Constructeur
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby stubblejumper » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:14 am

I tend to use the same shotguns for upland birds regardless of the weather. If it is pouring rain, I take the day off, and go the next day, as I am retired and can hunt pretty much whenever I choose to. I use the same synthetic stocked SX-3 for all my waterfowl hunting, so again no changes.
stubblejumper
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Beech » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:17 pm

Rem 870 was my first gun. Now I own 4 of them, all between 20 an 50 years old, and use them for everything that flies. I too never caught the fancy gun bug. When I become convinced that I can shoot better with a different gun then...
IN 1972 Dad gave me a used 870 Wingmaster on my 13th Christmas. It was a good gun, easy to handle for my 85 pound frame. I didnt fully understand what I had. Several years later I had a coworker who had been a medic in VietNam. Told me about how he always carried a 870 to protect his wounded patients. I was waiting for him to curse the 870 for failing him in battle but he didnt curse the gun and what few words he spoke about it seemed favorable. That was enough for me to have more respect for my 870. The wingmaster is too nice to drop in the mud so the other 3 are field or Express models and I treat them with a fair amount of disdain provided I clean them often enough.
Last edited by Beech on Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Beech
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Beech » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:17 pm

double post
Beech
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby 3drahthaars » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:38 pm

My Gram' got me an A-5 Light 20 when I was in high school.

I shot my first duck with it, first quail, first pheasant, many squirrels and thought about getting a slug barrel to make it my all around gun.

While at college, her home was robbed and my A-5 and several other weapons stolen. Now, I've no sentimental value for weapons.

I predominantly use my Beretta 390 for waterfowl, turkey, and with a rifled barrel deer... the ultimate go to weapon, except that it's a boat oar to carry in the field.

I got an O/U 20ga for upland... it's a little heavy at 7#, so I got a much lighter 16ga SxS, and I'm smitten.

The 16 is and "antique" 1958 J.P. Sauer, so far it's only been my quail gun. But, I have some Bismuth for waterfowl, and I have no compunction about taking it duck hunting.

Guns are utilitarian in my opinion... i'm not a collector. If I don't shoot it... I've no use for it. And, if I'm afraid to use it... I've no use for it.

3ds
3drahthaars
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:22 pm

I have a Beretta 1201F 12 gauge with a 24 inch chrome lined barrel, screw in chokes, black matte finish, polymer stock, sling swivels and 3 inch chamber. I have shot everything from opening day doves to end of season giant honkers with it for over 25 years. Throws beautiful patterns with a wide variety of ammo/load using either of the factory IC or Mod chokes. It has the inertia rotating bolt action that Benelli uses now and weighs 6 lbs. I have replaced the spring in the butt stock 3 times, the last being a Sure Cycle and likely the last it will need. But the spring in the rotating bolt is worn out and I need to get it replaced before next season.

I use an SBEII for waterfowl and turkey more these days as its 7 lb weight absorbs recoil and I do less wade-in duck hunting than I used to so I seldom am carrying it far due to using a boat more these days, and have a sling on it if I am. And I will use my Benelli 12 gauge ultralight, also in 24 inch barrel and 6 lbs for upland when the now sluggish action on the Beretta becomes iffy in sub-zero temps. Once I replace the bolt spring I expect the Beretta will see all the upland action again.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby LongHammer » Mon May 01, 2017 10:27 pm

It is only water. Day 1 or day 7 I carry the gun that gets the job done. If you take enough care of your guns that they get to be old guns a day or 2 in the rain won't hurt them. I say go for it and remember why you love the gun to begin with.
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Wed May 03, 2017 12:29 pm

If I have a gun I like, a dog I like, and a wife I like, I don't trade them. I've shot the same Superlight 12 since 1967 and the same A-5 Waterfowler since 1965. I have a Feather 20-28 I've had at least ten years and finally got a back up gun, a BUL.

I like keeping the same guns as long as they fit me.
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Tom in WI » Sat May 06, 2017 7:28 am

I have several shotguns, but there is only one I use 95+% of the time, irrespective of hunting or weather conditions. I've had the gun for 30 years. I guess old habits are hard to break.
Tom in WI
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby aaronk » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:56 pm

I've always owned two shotguns - one synthetic for waterfowl and an O/U for upland/clays. If it's raining I'll just take the waterfowl gun. I don't have a problem taking "nice" guns out in the rain, I do have a problem taking wood guns out in the rain. I just don't want to bother with swollen wood and having to loosen stocks while they dry.
aaronk
Started
Started

Postby orhunter » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:54 am

Aaronk: A properly sealed wood stock is waterproof, sort of. Might want to pull the wood off and wash down the inside with a couple of coats of thinned Linseed oil or similar. Let it sit a few days between coats.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mgrucker » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:02 am

My Beretta AL390 is my gun rain or shine. It has a bit of "character" after almost 20 years but I didn't get it just to look at.
mgrucker
Seasoned
Seasoned

Return to Hunting & Firearms