Types of Shotguns Used

Places to hunt, firearms to use, problems encountered

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Types of Shotguns Used

Postby stubblejumper » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:29 pm

Just curious what everyone chooses to hunt with. I prefer a 28 gauge Browning O/U or 28 Gauge AYA SxS for pheasant and upland birds, and a 12 gauge Winchester semi auto for waterfowl. I enjoy carrying the light sub gauge O/U or SxS guns, and I just don't find a 12 gauge necessary for pheasant or upland birds.
stubblejumper
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: Types of Shotguns Used

Postby jlw034 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:24 pm

In the uplands, hunting behind flushers, I couldn't imagine using anything other than a 12ga. I am very partial to my hammedown 12ga Browning Gold. She doesn't like the cold, but I shoot that gun better than any other.

With a pointing dog coming, I'm tempted in going with a 16 or 20. The new A5 Sweet Sixteen is really catching my eye. We'll see.

In the marsh, I use a Benelli SuperNova. Can't say I love it, but I've dropped it in the drink a couple times and it's always fired.
jlw034
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby stubblejumper » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:38 pm

When you get your new pup trained, you will find a 20 gauge more than enough for upland and pheasant. :)
stubblejumper
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Bigearl » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:46 pm

As I am not fortunate enough to get the opportunities to hunt upland birds, I have no preference in that area. Now doves are a different story, and my 20 ga Citori gets the knod in that arena. I'm primarily a duck/goose hunter though and will either shoot my 12 ga Citori or my Winchester SX2. Love my over and unders but can't seem to put my auto loader down. I've put thousands of rounds through it over the past 15 years and have slain a many a winged critters with it
Bigearl
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Deacon » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:06 am

I carry a Beretta A400, in twelve gauge, for waterfowl. Sometimes, on a dedicated goose shoot, I will carry a Remington SP-10. In the uplands I either carry an O/U or SxS, usually in twelve, sometimes in .410, however my favorite upland gun is an AYA SxS, in 12 gauge that only weighs 6.2 lbs.

I agree that for typical upland conditions, there is very little difference in the effectiveness between a 28 ga. and a 12.
Deacon
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:35 am

I hunt most with my Beretta 1201F Auto 12 ga. 24 inch chrome lined barrel, screw in chokes, 3 inch chamber for waterfowl, black matte finish, weighs 6 pounds empty and has a squared off receiver reminiscent of a humpback Browning. It has been a workhorse. I have two 5 lb 28 ga. Really enjoy them, use them at the game farm and when the wild bird hunt odds seem stacked in my favor e.g. opening day doves, early season pheasants. A 6 lb Benelli Ultralite 12 ga raised rib 24 inch barrel for OOS hunt backup duty, SBEII for combo goose/duck when I need a break from the recoil of the 6 lb Beretta with waterfowl loads. 10 ga BPS for late season giant honkers. My Dad's Belgium Light 12 with 26 inch IC barrel makes it out at least one a season for sentimental reasons and to cure a shooting slump as needed. Nothing gives an instant sight picture like a humpback.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:37 am

I go between a couple of old A-5 light 12's and a Magnum model for ducks. I prefer a Browning Model 12, 28 ga when in N. Dakota.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mtlhdr » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:45 am

I shoot a Beretta 3901 26" 12 ga for pretty much everything. I use my 870 express mag with 3-dot sights for turkey and I dust of my grandpa's old Savage SxS that I had cut to 26" and threaded for interchangeable chokes for the occasional quail or club pheasant hunt. Someday I'd like a nice 12 ga O/U.
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby jlw034 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:53 am

Man, I just can't comprehend using a 28ga for phez. Maybe I'm compensating for something? :mrgreen:
jlw034
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby cjm » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:24 am

last year i picked up a used cz upland ultralight - 12ga, 6lbs, screw-in chokes, o/u. it has been an affordable workhorse that i don't mind beating through the brush chasing grouse. i know a 12ga isn't necessary for grouse but with small shot and open chokes i don't think i've done excessive damage to meat. now they have a 20ga version too - i've liked mine enough to get the 20ga at some point.
cjm
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby orhunter » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:27 am

The 28 is plenty of gun when combined with birds that will hold and a good pointer. Every one of us already owns the best pointer in the world so that's not a problem. Putting the dog in the presence of birds that can actually be hunted is the tricky part. That involves hunting places others just drive by. Being willing to get out and walk for three undisturbed roosters that hold rather than the hundreds of spooky birds normally encountered in the more popular spots. Driven shoots aren't real hunting and all the gun a person can carry works fine in these situations. Heck, ya don't even need a hunting dog for that stuff that's why we see so many Labradors.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Chadwick » Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:04 pm

I use a 20g Merkel SxS for my upland gun and a 12g Beretta SxS for my waterfowl gun. I had chokes put in the 20g and the 12g came with factory chokes. The 20 gauge is just over 5.5 pounds, so it is great to carry.
Chadwick
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby bhennessy » Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:06 pm

I have 12, 16 and 20 gauge Lefever sxs's. The 16 has been my go to for quail, dove and woodcock, but I just recently found the 20 at a gun show and think it will replace the 16 soon. It's the best handling gun I've ever swung.

It's choked very full x2, as was common 100 years ago, so I may have the right side opened a bit and the chambers punched out to 2 3/4 so I don't have to worry about mixing up shells with my daughters LC Smith 20.o
bhennessy
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby jlw034 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:43 pm

orhunter wrote:The 28 is plenty of gun when combined with birds that will hold and a good pointer. Every one of us already owns the best pointer in the world so that's not a problem. Putting the dog in the presence of birds that can actually be hunted is the tricky part. That involves hunting places others just drive by. Being willing to get out and walk for three undisturbed roosters that hold rather than the hundreds of spooky birds normally encountered in the more popular spots. Driven shoots aren't real hunting and all the gun a person can carry works fine in these situations. Heck, ya don't even need a hunting dog for that stuff that's why we see so many Labradors.

:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: :crazyeyes:

Them there's fightin words here in the Midwest!

Driving a cattail slough with good flushing labs provides incredible dog work and some of the harder shots a sportsman has to make.

A guy could argue shooting a layup over a point ain't hunting :wink:
jlw034
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby orhunter » Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:22 pm

JLW.... I love to stir the pot.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Next