Kansas Trip

Places to hunt, firearms to use, problems encountered

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Kansas Trip

Postby AverageGuy » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:39 pm

I have enjoyed the natural treasures of Kansas for over 50 years now. Did it again this week. Hope you enjoy the photos.

First Covey Point of the Trip

Golden Eagle Nest

This is a 30 acre patch of CRP with a wheatfield drilled into soybean stubble on one side and milo stubble on the other side. First morning of the hunt we headed into the wind in that CRP. Spud made a beautiful intense point, I flushed 2 roosters and hen, and dumped a rooster with my IC choke and 7.5 quail loads to start the morning. The whole trip was a dlemma as to whether to have quail loads and IC choke in or roosters loads and Mod Choke. I guessed wrong alot. A short way past that Spud made another beautiful point. I flushed a coyote 30 yards ahead, and Spud gave tongue and chase while I frantically grabbed my controller and provided ecollar feedback on his performance ...

That same morning there were both light and dark geese landing, feeding and milling low all around in both stubble fields. So the next morning Spud and I were waiting in full camo for the geese to fly. I had a 10 pack of 3 inch Tungsten Bs to work with. Managed to pass shoot a couple of honkers. Folding up a goose at long range with the right loads and chokes, followed by a long fall, loud thud and long retrieve are a form of waterfowling that seems to have gone by the wayside for most, but I still enjoy it.

Spud Bringing in the first Goose.

Another Honker

Four Coveys and a Limit by Noon

Thursday Dawned with 3 degree F temp, a constant wind speed of 30 MPH and Gust up to 45 MPH. My plan was to pass shoot for geese at dawn, then head to a weed patch for Roosters, followed by some quail. I had packed adequate clothes for walking bird hunting, and some camo clothes for waterfowl, but nothing adequate for sitting in those conditions for long. So I was sitting in the truck waiting for the geese to start flying before exiting , when 4 Prairie Chickens lifted up out of their roost in that waterway. Plan B was immediately in effect, unloading Spud and shotgun and looking for a strangler. Found one, made a long shot rocking the Chicken hard but it locked its wings and road the extreme wind 200 yards out as it crashed landed to the ground.

That Wind completely eliminated any ability to hear birds when they flushed and time and again they flushed, caught the wind and used a constant stream of trees, old buildings, brush and tall weeds to their advantage in making getting a clean shooting opportunity a supreme challenge all day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECHrnUKHokc

Spud Pointing a Covey on the Wind Blown Day. I took a moment, fished out my phone and snapped a photo before proceeding to flush. The quail flew right down those cedars and I never fired a shot. That was the trend of the day.

Extreme Drought covers the Upper to lower MW. Scenting conditions were brutal. Spud pointed a covey in a thick 8 foot tall fenced off weed patch where some hay bales were stored next to this grubbed down pasture. I managed to down a bird. Spud went over the top of it several times in that dust and wind before he caught any scent.

I used my Dad's Light 12 A5 that day. Started using it 46 years ago on a dove hunt. 26 inch barrel IC choke. A few years ago I was in SD in an 11 below zero blizzard hunting pheasants and my Beretta became a single shot. So I swapped it for that A5. The original blond French Walnut Stock split in half as my first shot dropped a rooster. So I had it restocked and it sees some use in the field annually.

AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Kansas Trip

Postby LongHammer » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:06 pm

The two of you are really getting it done. Thanks for taking us along.
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby orhunter » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:08 pm

Most excellent. Always enjoy your adventures. Good to see the A-5 still gettin’ it done. Best shotgun ever made.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Willie T » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:42 pm

Enjoyed your post, very nice! Cricket and I will be up there in a couple of weeks.
Willie
Willie T
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby J D Patrick » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:39 am

sounds like a great time,,,,and though I've never meet him I like Spud!!
J D Patrick
Started
Started

Return to Hunting & Firearms