Bringing AMMO into Canada

Places to hunt, firearms to use, problems encountered

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Bringing AMMO into Canada

Postby AverageGuy » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:01 pm

Does any one have experience bringing shotgun Ammo from the US into Alberta? Is it true it is limited to 200 rounds? Can a duty be paid at the boarder to bring in more and if so what is the duty? Thanks.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Bringing AMMO into Canada

Postby orhunter » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:35 pm

Took some into Sask. a few years ago. No problem. I don't recall they asked us about ammo.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby jlw034 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:31 am

We've been checked going into Manitoba. Never had more that 200/guy so it wasn't a problem.

Heard it's a pretty good tax if you are over.
jlw034
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:30 pm

A series of internet searches, phone calls/transfers, an hour on hold total, yielded an answer to my question.

You can bring in more than 200 rounds of shotgun ammo but will pay a duty on every round above the 200. The duty will be 8.5 - 12% of the estimated value of the shells depending on where the shells I bring in are manufactured.

Beats running out of shells or spending precious energy and hunting time traveling around looking for shells and likely settling for a load inferior to what I will bring with me.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:59 pm

Who estimates the value? Might take a reciept with you and use it if you feel you're getting a bad deal?
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:03 pm

Yep, That is my plan.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Bigearl » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:58 pm

Just how long are planning on being in Canada? Anything short of dove hunting, I can go for weeks on 8 boxes of shells!!
Bigearl
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby AverageGuy » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:22 pm

A couple of weeks is the plan. Will hunt Huns, Sharptails and Waterfowl. Daily limits of Huns and Sharptails are 5 of each. Waterfowl is 8 ducks and 8 dark geese, 50 snows daily. The Sharptails are not open the first week, so while hunting Huns only I prefer to ideally use a different load specific to Huns than while hunting Sharptails. Then the waterfowl brings a different need/load and ideally I shoot different loads between ducks vs geese.

So if I want to bring in 4 different loads it starts making 8 boxes seem pretty thin. For a max duty fee of $2 or less a box on shells I already own, I will bring enough of each so I have no chance of having to run around looking for shells vs hunting.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby jlw034 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:42 pm

AverageGuy wrote:A couple of weeks is the plan. Will hunt Huns, Sharptails and Waterfowl. Daily limits of Huns and Sharptails are 5 of each. Waterfowl is 8 ducks and 8 dark geese, 50 snows daily. The Sharptails are not open the first week, so while hunting Huns only I prefer to ideally use a different load specific to Huns than while hunting Sharptails. Then the waterfowl brings a different need/load and ideally I shoot different loads between ducks vs geese.

So if I want to bring in 4 different loads it starts making 8 boxes seem pretty thin. For a max duty fee of $2 or less a box on shells I already own, I will bring enough of each so I have no chance of having to run around looking for shells vs hunting.

Yeah sounds like you could use the extra bullets. Personally, I'd keep mum unless they ask you specifically about how much ammo you have.
jlw034
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby orhunter » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:13 pm

Mum.... Yea, don't volunteer what isn't asked. Might keep ammo in more than one place... A hundred here, a hundred there.......

Something else about registering your guns. You need the paperwork in triplicate. If you download a single sheet and think you're good, you're not and will have to fill it out all over again at the border.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby jlw034 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:03 pm

orhunter wrote:Mum.... Yea, don't volunteer what isn't asked. Might keep ammo in more than one place... A hundred here, a hundred there.......

Something else about registering your guns. You need the paperwork in triplicate. If you download a single sheet and think you're good, you're not and will have to fill it out all over again at the border.

Good point, I had forgotten about that.
jlw034
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby greg jacobs » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:37 am

What is total possession limit there and as you come back here. When you start talking about limits every day you are at possession limit pretty quickly around here and you're trying to eat and give away as many as you can. Sorry guess that was a little off topic.
greg jacobs
Started
Started

Postby orhunter » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:32 am

Greg J. Was thinking about that myself. You can bring back across the border only three daily limits (per type) of waterfowl. Dunno about upland?
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:47 am

Not my first rodeo guys. Got it covered.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby jlw034 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:06 pm

AverageGuy wrote:Not my first rodeo guys. Got it covered.

Just make sure to take lots of pictures! Enjoy seeing that dog of yours.
jlw034
Master Poster
Master Poster

Return to Hunting & Firearms