Oakley

Dedicated to our friends (with four or two feet)

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Oakley

Postby Deb » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:44 pm

We had to say good-bye to our first hunting dog on Jan 2, 2009 at 12.5 years old.

Oakley, AKA:
Ch, Int'l Ch Alison's Jagerherz CD NA NAJ
NAVDHA NA, UPT, UT 200 Prz II
Mom to 10 great pups: 5 NAVHDA NA Pups, 2 UT Prize 1 dogs and one when on to be the only GWP NAVHDA VC and AKC bench Champion.

At Home

Getting ready to show:

Duck hunting.

No pics in the field since there were always bad - she's always under a tree fallen tree, or in cattails above her head, or in corn, or just a blur. We even had a professional photographer come with once, that's where we got the blur...she found pheasants in a horse pasture on the edge of Minneapolis where no wild birds should have been. We always ran her last since she would find anything out there, mopping up the birds the other dogs missed wherever they may be. Best cripple dog ever.

She taught me why people hunt - she usually chose to hunt with me even when it would have been more fun for her to be by over Mark. She was a great little GWP.

Deb
Last edited by Deb on Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deb
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: Oakley

Postby orhunter » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:18 pm

Terribly sorry Deb. May her memory bring you a smile occasionally.....

Harvey
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby gezer » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:15 pm

Deb, sorry to hear about your loss....I have a 14 yr old GWP////she has been awonderful hunter and pet, but I think she is getting close also....its funny as many dogs as I have had over the years it still hurts just the same...spend a few more minutes with your other dogs in her honor....warmest...ron
Ron, handler of 27 meat dogs and proud owner of 2 chest freezers
gezer
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Deb » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:21 pm

Harvey & Gez,

Thank you for the kind words, we (Mark & I) appreciate it. As for her memory bringing us smiles in the future - Oakley was a big ham and loved an audience. As you can see we did a lot of things with her which supplied her with numerous occasions to perform. Whether it was:

- turning Daryl's strict, orderly obedience class into complete chaos....with the help of another wirehair of course

- bringing her confirmation class to their knees with laughter when the instructor decided to use a stuffed fox to get some of the dogs more enthusiastic (I think many GWP or DD owners here would agree their dogs would be a bit excited by this) or

- charming the audience at the MN State Fair by walking slowly down the line of bleachers intently searching crowd for Mark to complete her retrieve when the trainer running the demonstration told her to 'fetch'. The crowd mobbed her at the end when Mark had her do a sit & stay while he took the dummy to the trainer. When I worked my way through the mob of people about 10 deep, she was stilling sitting in the same spot with two women kneeing on the ground hugging & kissing her.

In the field or blind she was all business otherwise she was full of good-natured mischief - both sides of Oakley have supplied us with many great memories.

Enjoy the time with your dogs - the great, the good, & the less than perfect - it goes by too fast.

Deb
Deb
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby orhunter » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:48 am

You/she just brought me a smile and...........
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Hunters Edge » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:59 pm

Sorry to hear of your loss
Hunters Edge Kennel where Versatile Champions are born. Call on expected whelped dates or breedings, hunters only, please.
Hunters Edge
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby GPBLITZ » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:38 am

Sorry to hear about yours and Marks loss. Oakley was a nice dog.
GPBLITZ
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Blue River » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:56 am

So sorry for your loss, sounds like a dog that lived well, I would have loved to be a fly on the wall when the dogs saw that fox!
If it doesn't have a beard, it's not a whole dog!
Blue River
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby utprizewire » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:39 pm

Deb,
Sorry for your loss. Great pics and memories.
UT
utprizewire
Seasoned
Seasoned

Return to In Memory of