Brewer aka Chump Change's Crooked halo

Dedicated to our friends (with four or two feet)

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Brewer aka Chump Change's Crooked halo

Postby york_rotch » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:31 am

Brewer -- March 14th 2004-November 5th 2007

I couldn't bring myself to post this earlier, I still miss him every day.

Written November 5th 2007.

It is with a heavy heart that I announce Brewer’s passing. His time came while we were on pheasant trip in North Dakota with my good friend Dennis Carey and his dog Jiggs. He passed away with the anticipation of a morning hunt on his mind. He is greatly missed and left behind some very fond memories, memories etched so deeply in my mind that I will never forget him. Brewer was so special, in so many ways. He was a source of great pride for me; which only amplifies the tragedy that befell us this week.

Brewer opened my eyes to a world I’d never seen before, and that few ever will. I’d hunted birds for many years before he arrived. But it was not until our first hunting trip together that I realized I’d never hunted” like this” before. We were participating in the Delta Waterfowl youth hunt in Netley marsh, just north of Petersfield. At the tender age of 5.5 months, Brewer taught me what hunting was all about. His first ever retrieve was on a crippled blue wing teal. I watched, with a big goofy grin, as Brewer swam out and proceeded to follow a diving duck. Not just putting his face in the water, but completely disappearing from view in pursuit of his prize. When he finally caught it, he lifted it up high, and proudly brought it back to me, the memory lingers still. When I saw nothing flying; I would often look to him, as he was finely tuned to the sky and saw birds before I would. I’m going to miss those eyes, so intense, so piercing.

I used to go upland hunting without a dog, what a dope! I could never imagine doing that again. Brewer quartered naturally from a very young age. Quartering is when the dog runs side to side covering a lot of ground, not covered by the hunter. There was nothing like seeing him charging through the uplands and catching scent and locking up on point. He had an unusual intensity that made a lot of fun to watch. He could be working hard, and breathing hard; but when he found scent, BAM! Locked up and barely breathing; that delicious scent wafting into him, every fiber of his being tense and ready. With limited upland opportunities in Manitoba; we did much of our upland hunting in the states. My favorite trip was always Wisconsin; as the birds there were plentiful and I saw him at his best when we hunted there. He took a lot of punishment with his hard charging approach; he preferred going through as opposed to around anything. At the end of a 4 or 5 day hunt he was spent, giving all that he had to give. During the last day of our 2006 peasant trip to North Dakota; I came over a hill with Kyle and Chris to find Brewer locked up on point. I can see him there now, as clearly as I saw him then, so many memories.

He will be remembered for more then hunting. We grew together as handler and hunting dog; and became a formidable team. During my off season, he continued to hunt. Whether we were running in the floodway, or Kilcona, or even on Kildonan golf course, he was always hunting. Treating me to a show every evening; he kept me coming back day after day. It was during these very frequent outings that he honed his skills, learning to use the wind, learning to see with his nose. Most of those days were spent in pursuit of rabbits. It was beautiful to see him work a track, pausing to sniff each foot print. Figuring out which direction the rabbit was going using only his nose. Then tracking down that bunny until he finally found it.

Brewer was special even in the house where he would hunt down stray socks or anything he could pick up. Retrieving was his favorite past time. We literally spent hours playing retrieving games in the basement; it may sound silly, but he was so enthusiastic, and with each retrieve those eyes would say “just 1 more”. I didn’t measure retrieves like many did; 2 or 3, if he does it right quit on a high note. We would go for hours at a time, until after his first winter he was doing it perfectly. It was these games with a bumper, or his kong, a sock, a shoe, whatever, that taught him his retrieving manners. There was no force fetch program, no heavy handed tactics. Just great natural ability coupled with patience and persistence. To me, this was my greatest accomplishment as a trainer; and truth be told, Brewer made me look good. We spent an entire summer at Petersfield firing the retriever trainer for hours on end; we went through 600 rounds that summer. We quit when I got tired, there was no quit in Brewer. When we were done training and he was fed; he would lie down and sleep. His favorite poses were either on his back with his legs spread-eagled, or on his side with a paw covering his eyes. Even in sleep, he was fun to watch.

I was also comfortable taking Brewer everywhere with me. His training allowed me to have control of him in any situation. Whether it was sitting him down at the front door at my folks place while we ate, or giving a few blasts on the whistle to bring in to me at the lake. When I had occasion to be away from home; he was welcomed into my brother’s home; where he became a member of the family.

Brewer you lived up to being “man’s best friend”. We had so much fun together and now I have nothing but memories, and lots of them, thanks for sharing with me. There will be other dogs, but never another Brewer.
Last edited by york_rotch on Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
york_rotch
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Brewer

Postby Streenie79 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:02 am

I too know the difficulty in writing of the passing of such a close friend. Those who've never experienced such a friendship will never understand it...and still others may find it some kind of rationale for our procrastination in putting the words together and actually sharing them with others. Quite to the contrary, I find it a fitting testimony to the depth of our friendship with these amazing creatures.

I am truly sorry for your loss, but having read your words can only believe you must feel so very lucky to have shared a life with Brewer. While there can never be another Brewer, I hope there is another pal in your near future with which to experience all of the many possibilities.

Thanks for sharing of Brewer here....

Streenie79
Streenie79
Seasoned
Seasoned

sorry

Postby gezer » Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:07 pm

York, I have a 15 year old GWP....she is a very special dog...shot sharpies, spruce, ruff, and Ptarmigan grouse, ducks, snowshow hare over her for many years in Alaska...She is still with me.....has not hunted in several years ...but still has that look in her eyes when some honkers fly over the back yard...or she is watching me train my younger dogs ....I don't know how much longer she will be with me....but she is a fine dog and I will always appreciate her loyalty to me ...her name is Hesse of Ruby...we call her Hess...I have lost several dogs over the years...each one is special...Sorry for your loss...and while there may not be another Brewer out there for ya.....there are lots of fine pups looking for that special person to give them a name, home, opertunity and family...use all you learned with Brewer on your next dog or dogs and Brewer will always be with ya...
Ron, handler of 27 meat dogs and proud owner of 2 chest freezers
gezer
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Georgia Boy » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:49 am

Very nice, I am sure you miss him and you have my condolences :cry:
Georgia Boy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GWPnovice » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:29 am

Mitch,

Well written, well said, and I'm sure you could have added another 50 pages to describe your love of the time you spent with Brewer! Brewer was a lucky dog to have a companion that treated him as well and made him a part of your life as you did. I know you could never forget Brewer, but you have a great start on your next friendship with that ugly ol' pup you have now!
GWPnovice
GWPnovice
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby MadMax » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:56 am

Hey Mitch,

nicely written,well said. Its tough when we lose one,more over when they
are so young,, How is the pup coming along?

MM
MadMax
Started
Started

Postby orhunter » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:34 am

I never know what to say in these situations and this time is no exception. The best I can do is to say, although I don't know you or Brewer, I feel your loss. This is the dark side of dog ownership.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Hunters Edge » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:22 pm

I have put a few dogs down and many have left, it never gets any easier. Yes ditto to what has already been posted, yet there never seems to be able to find the right words to say/write.

Even with so many dogs and good if not great dogs that have left me, I have been honored, no blessed would be a better way to describe it they have shared my life or better yet they have shared their life with me especially because they have so little time to share. This helps me to remember this, I hope it helps you.

If you think about it someone above has indeed blessed you for allowing you to spend time with Brewer, even if you think it is too short he knows best. Just by reading your post it appears Brewer has opened more than your eyes to new experiences, he has opened your heart as well.

Again I am so sorry to hear of your loss, and hope you continue not only to remember those precious memories, but make new memories with a new dog as well, for they have plenty of love to give and need good owners to love and take them hunting as well.
Hunters Edge Kennel where Versatile Champions are born. Call on expected whelped dates or breedings, hunters only, please.
Hunters Edge
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby shawnsgriff » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:04 pm

Well said Hunters Edge......

york_rotch....Sorry to hear of the loss of your guy......
No matter how little money and how few
possessions you own having a dog makes you rich.....

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=523
shawnsgriff
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GSPmom+2 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:46 pm

All your words echo, all that is felt when you lose your best friend. We have all been in your place at one time or another. Brewer was a very lucky boy. As you were to have him.

Sorry for your loss. God Bless.
>GSPmom

Unless You are the lead Dog the View never Changes !
GSPmom+2
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby york_rotch » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:23 am

Thanks guys. I do have a new pup; Chump Change's Two The Max (aka Knucklez), I'll post some pics of him soon.

After Brewer died, Dennis offered me a free pup; and kept me informed of breedings I could choose a pup from. (first pick male) The thought of just selling everything off and taking up scuba diving, briefly crossed my mind; but after having such a positive experience with Brewer, I couldn't bring myself to do it.

We've just started our first season together and we're both having a blast! Pun intended.
Chump Change's Two The Max
http://www.wirehairhunts.com
york_rotch
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby GWPnovice » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:30 am

Glad to hear that all is well with your new pup! Things are going well on this end, finally got some training birds to work my ugly dog on. It's one thing to get a good pup, but it's another to find a breeder/seller that will do what Dennis did. Our grouse season opened here today, so I'll be hitting the bush!
GWPnovice
GWPnovice
Seasoned
Seasoned

Return to In Memory of