Never easy saying goodbye

Dedicated to our friends (with four or two feet)

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Never easy saying goodbye

Postby Napoleon » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:11 pm

It is with a heavy heart that I write this final farewell to my loyal devoted friend, my Golden Retriever, Caesar.

Caesar was actually the 1st gundog that I trained. He is the reason I got back into bird hunting after a 20 year hiatus. He might not have been the greatest hunting dog, but he held his own for over 10 years, always made me proud, and was the most devoted friend I ever had.

Even though he was 12 I had hoped to hunt with him on a limited basis this past hunting season. I had worked on his conditioning and he loved our water sessions over the summer. But in August I noticed a hitch in his gate. I took him to the vet and at first he received a clean bill of health. But the limp kept getting worse. It was bad enough that I decided against hunting him.

In December I took him in again and he was diagnosed with cancer. It had settled in his front leg. The vet told me he wouldn't last past January. They gave me pain medication to make him more comfortable.

Caesar lasted almost 7 months. Up untill Monday of this past week he seemed content. Everyone said he would let me know and when it was time to let go. His bad leg finally started to go completely limp and I knew time was short. Caesar was almost 13 years old, lived a full life and hunted every weekend of the bird season for almost the 1st 10 years of his life and provided countless memories, good times and adventures.

Having him put down was the hardest thing I ever did. Never easy saying goodbye to your best friend.
Napoleon
Started
Started

Postby madonna » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:19 pm

Because you will not be forever,
Hope against time though I may,
Paint your picture in my memory,
Eyes blue with age, muzzle gone grey.

Because you walked with me in Springtime,
Puppy-clumsy, running free.
As you grew, we grew together--
You became a part of me.

Because I shared with you my sorrows,
Not understanding-- simply there.
Often spurring me to laughter--
My friend, you know how much I care.

Because the years have slowed your fleetness,
Though your spirit still is strong.
I promise I will take more time now,
So that you can go along.

Because you do not fear the future,
Living only in the now,
I draw strength from your example--
Yet time keeps slipping by somehow.

Because the day will soon be coming
When I will no longer see
You rise to greet me - but in memory
You will always walk with me.

Dear, i feel with you so much! i lost my dear Rocky at the age of 12 years on 27.2.2005- i can not forget this dog- Madonna
woman, that plays with pups
madonna
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby yawallac » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:37 pm

I've had to put a few down over the years and they still hurt. I am sorry for your loss.
yawallac
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to In Memory of