Griffon owner/breeder Gary Bohlman

Dedicated to our friends (with four or two feet)

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Griffon owner/breeder Gary Bohlman

Postby huntvizsla » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:42 am

Gary Bohlman of Weston WI passed away due to a logging accident March 21st at the hale age of 70 years. Before you ask what a 70year old was doing logging, I need to tell you that he was more fit at 70 than many 40 and 50 year old people I know. Cutting a few trees down was well within his abilities, unfortunately a neighboring dead tree fell as well as the one being cut.

Gary loved the great outdoors, starting with trapping and coon dogs as a youth, to wilderness canoeing, elk hunting, deer hunting, and of course fishing. Later in life he became interested in pointing dogs, and in particular Wirehaired Pointing Griffons. Gary was a member of a NAVHDA chapter, and while he never did go to the extent of training/testing to the Utility level he used the NA test on his dogs, and in the field on wild birds finished his dogs out. He was always there to lend a hand during tests and on work days, and if there was a project requiring wood working Gary often stepped up to assist.

As a mutual friend of our said - Gary was never bored and never sat down for very long. We will miss his enthusiasm, energy, love of dogs, and friendship.
huntvizsla
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby GRIFF MAN » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:28 am

HV,

Thanks for the nice words about Gary.

Gary and I spent some great times together hunting and running our dogs. He was always there to give a call to to ask a quesiton...if you got the chance to talk :lol: He loved his stories.

He did say alot of nice things about you and enjoyed your hunt up in Sask. He couldn't believe you got him on a horse!!!!

He will be missed by alot...but never foregotten.

GriffMan
GRIFF MAN * LOVING LIFE AND MY GRIFF!

Aspen Glo's Kennels
Wirehaired Pointing Griffons
www.aspenglokennel.com
GRIFF MAN
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Hunters Edge » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:43 pm

By your posts it sounds like many will miss Gary, his help, his stories and a friend. One thing we can hope for is that he is in a much better place were we call heaven and the indians call the happy hunting grounds, but it still sounds like he will be missed by many.
Hunters Edge Kennel where Versatile Champions are born. Call on expected whelped dates or breedings, hunters only, please.
Hunters Edge
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby huntvizsla » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:02 pm

Yah Gary could tell stories - but you know the brief time we knew him he didn't repeat too many - and I keep hearing new ones about Gary that he never told us!

Some people get annoyed when someone with as much time at living as Gary had gets to jawing, myself I am happy to settle in for the time and listen to the experiences and knowlege such a person is willing to share.

The other day a large flock of swans flew overhead, going due west right at sunset. The orange sun refelcted on the swans bellies and chest, was the neatest thing to see. And, as often as I stop to watch the waterfowl flocks fly, I had never seen the "changing of the guard" when the lead 10 birds or so drop back and the next team surges up to take on the point in the flock - well I was treated to that sight as well. Of course, Gary would have appreciated that flock and we would have heard all about it that night or the next day!

Made me think as we lose our older friends in many ways that's like the changing of the guard.

And yes, Sask was probably the best time we have ever had - will go back as often as we can.

See you Sunday the 27th?
huntvizsla
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby GRIFF MAN » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:27 am

:wink:

Well said!!!

Aspen Glo's Kennels
www.aspenglokennel.com
GRIFF MAN
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GRIFF MAN » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:15 am

HV,

I thought Navhda was doing a story on Gary this month. Know anything about it???

Griff

Aspen Glo's Kennels
www.aspenglokennel.com
GRIFF MAN
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby huntvizsla » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:24 pm

I will have to ask - I thought the June issue was to feature a story - but maybe July?

BTW your skunk story got me thinking about one that Gary told us last year - the week before we met him out west last fall Trek got into a skunk too - Gary did not realize what Trek was parading back to him with until the wind carried the scent towards him. Trek proud as could be tried to prance up to Gary with cat in mouth, Gary was yelling "no no drop it drop it" and running backwards as fast as he could. When Trek kept coming towards him Gary tried the e collar on the "drop it" but apparently Trek associated THAT with FF. So eventually Gary couldn't get away fast enough and Trek was practically shoving that skunk in Garys face trying to Fetch the darn thing to Gary.

All the while this skunk was alive, every No resulted in another chomp by Trek but the skunk was able to walk away once Gary convinced Trek to let the thing drop.

I asked Gary if he could have run faster if he wasn't laughing so hard - he admitted that he did have some difficulty keeping away, shouting NO and trying to not get the skunk smell on him while he was laughing so hard tears were blinding him!

And of course he was not using his usual truck, Gary was traveling with a friend who was driving - you guessed it - a Suburban. No where for the dog to go but in the kennel in the back of the vehicle. :lol: Windows down and gasping. I guess he wasn't all that close to town either!
huntvizsla
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Return to In Memory of