The old girl

Dedicated to our friends (with four or two feet)

Moderator: Moderator Pack

The old girl

Postby DrahtsundBraats » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:25 pm

CH. Side by Side's Apfelschnaps UT 1

She was a good one-I still measure every dog in the field against this one in her prime. First GWP to ever be a CH/UT 1 with a max score and on her first try. Second time she got a UT 1 197. Missed her VC by 1 point but nailed 8 birds and backed 5 times in a real display of how it gets done.

Miss her on the sofa as much as I do in the field. She leaves some good kids and grandkids behind including aan FC/MH.

DrahtsundBraats
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby chicago0517 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:42 pm

Sounds like she was a great one. She and you are the envy of many.
chicago0517
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby KJ » Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:22 pm

Jon,

Sorry to hear of your loss.
How old was she?
KJ
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby yawallac » Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:36 pm

She was a regal looking old gal. Sorry for your loss Jon.
yawallac
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby DrahtsundBraats » Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:37 pm

She was whelped in 1994. Double bred on Lutz, she was really the last best connection to Silke's best days. Except for the male I have, the best coat I have ever seen on a dog - on both sides of the ocean.

PM me when you have a chance.
DrahtsundBraats
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:36 am

My wife says she has an extraordinary face ... I agree. It's sad to hear about your loss.
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Deb » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:36 am

Just a few months ago I was talking dogs with someone who had seen Schnaps run at the Invitational. He commented on what a great dog she was and that she did indeed set a high standard for any dogs that came after.

So sorry for your loss.

Deb & Mark
Deb
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby DrahtsundBraats » Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:55 am

Well, you folks did what I really wanted for this dog and that was to be the first CH/VC. Hope there will be more of them and that we can convince folks that should be the real "Dual" for the breed.

Hope that pup is coming along.
DrahtsundBraats
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Tony » Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:33 am

Jon,

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. There was a time when I was a GWP geek, and I would pour over pedigrees and test scores; I knew of Schnaps and her mother, Gipfli, years before I met you. Congratulations for breeding, owning, and training such a wonderful example of what a GWP should be. I still have the copy of The Today's Breeder with her picture on the cover. 8)

I believe I took this picture at Kelly Farms in 2000. I am sure you were smiling nicely, but I forgot to include you in the pic. :wink:
Tony
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby DrahtsundBraats » Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:56 pm

Thanks Tony. I never was upset because she didn't get the VC-anyone who has run that test and has any understanding should appreciate 185 points-those that don't, I could care less. What I remember more about this dog was her willigness to work. Some dogs may have had had better noses-others may have been faster, but no dog put more effort into it than this dog. She would find game through pure determination. I once sent her on a search for a duck an hour after the bird was shot (owner's Lab couldn't find it) and watched her search the duck up in a tidal marsh for 40 minutes til she had it. I went to Jack Wilson's the year she was 12 and sent her on a retrieve of a winged pheasant that glided 200 yds out into the CRP. She disappeared out of sight and just about the time we were gonna go find her with the truck, there she came (limping as usual at this age)-live pheasant to hand.

Its these memories that mean more to all of us. We're all proud of the tests/competitions, but I couldn't remember one test day of any of my dogs. I will always remember the grasslands and that dog on point in front of me or that icicle draped face sitting next to me in the blind.
Brings a smile to my face everytime I think of it :lol:
DrahtsundBraats
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

GWP

Postby bill10979 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:33 pm

She was a regal looking dog Jon, sorry she is gone...

Heres a nice fitting tune for a running, hunting machine....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnBWrTTiw00
bill10979
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby DK1 » Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:01 pm

Jon, so sorry to hear about her.
DK1
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to In Memory of