Flaugherty Creek's Cody

Dedicated to our friends (with four or two feet)

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Flaugherty Creek's Cody

Postby Vom Britt » Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:08 pm

I called Dave Walker this week to set up a breeding with his dog Cody. To my surprise & deep regret, Dave told me Cody died a year ago from Blasto. I never had the privelage of watching him run but his three NAVHDA UT 204's & his VC & MH, tells me, he was one hell of a dog. Cody died in Dave's hands which tells you how much he loved him.

An old Elmore James song the "Sky is Crying" fits how I feel about Cody's death & Dave's loss. The tears are running not down the street but on this keyboard.

Bob Britten
Vom Britt
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Deb » Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:18 am

Cody was fabulous - especially in the water.

Back in mid June 1999 Mark ran our oldest dog in a NAVHDA UPT to try to judge where she was at, we hoped to get her ready for a UT later that summer. As we waited for our turn to do her water work we watched the UT dogs doing duck searches. This was a very difficult body of water, a couple of small clumps of cattails to either side of where the dog was released and then a lot of open water.....except for 3-4 tiny islands way off in the distance. The islands off in the distance is where they were releasing the ducks.

We watched four dogs do pretty uninspired searches. They go left a bit and find nothing. Then go to the right a bit & find nothing and then be totally lost as to what to do next. I remember one handler walking by us cursing & saying that no dog could search this water.

The last UT dog of the day was Cody. Like the dogs before him he searched a bit to the left - nothing there. Searched a bit to the right, nothing there, not even a hint of scent. Unlike the others he knew somewhere out there was a duck & he had to figure out where. He stopped and looked over the landscape - I can still see him in my minds eye, standing there in the water thinking through what his next move should be. Then he saw the islands. He made a straight line to the most likely place for there to be birds, found them, tracked one of the ducks back to his handler where it was shot & he did a beautiful retrieve.

Up to this point Mark & I had felt pretty good about Oakley's chances of running a UT in a few months but now we were suddenly presented with an entirely new level of performance. In fact, to this day I judge all duck searches against what I saw that day and I've yet to see another dog be as powerful and smart. This wasn't a one time thing either - I was on hand to watch Cody work a number of times through the years, one of the last being in 2003 when he once again did a great search in less than ideal water to qualify for the 2004 Invitational.

In 2004 we were fortunate enough to also invited to participate in the Invitational. We were pretty much newbie's and somewhat nervous about what the day had in store for us but the minute we looked at the running order we calmed down, Mark & Max were braced with Cody & Dave - it seemed like a good omen to us.

Dave, on the other hand, was a bit nervous, Cody was pretty out of shape due to breaking his toe about five weeks earlier and Dave was expecting the worst for the day. Cody did pass that year and recieved the title that long was his due.

Since the time I first saw Cody back in 1999 I've attended a lot of NAVHDA tests & Invitationals, AKC hunt tests, watched a bit of a couple field trials - I don't ride a horse so I can't see too much, and even attended a few VDD tests. There are prettier dogs out there then Cody but only a handful have impressed me as much.

RIP VC Flaugherty Creek's Cody MH.

Deb
Last edited by Deb on Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deb
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Vom Britt » Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:08 am

Hey Deb,

What a beautiful tribute to Cody! His mother's sister, Kettle Creek's Orvis is Hannah's grandmother (Kettle Creek's Olly). When you mentioned Cody, stopping to check & seek out objectives it reminded me of a few times I have watched Hannah do the same. Wonder where that came from :wink: He was used for stud just a couple of times. The first one didn't take. Do you know if Echo ever had pups from him?
Last edited by Vom Britt on Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vom Britt
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Deb » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:31 am

I don't know if Echo had the litter or not. I know when we spoke to Dave back at that 2003 Utility test up to that time no one had used Cody for a stud. Guess I feels that's too bad - he was the same dog with or without the VC, in fact the utility tests said so much more about him then the Invite did. I know it's easier to sell a litter of pups out of a highly titled dog but I wish more people took a few chances out there.

Thanks for posting about Cody,

Deb
Deb
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby mngsp » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:25 pm

Sorry to hear about Cody.

I had the privledge of judging the Dave and Cody team in a few MH tests a few years ago. I always mention to people in conversation what fun it was to watch these two in action. I think I must have judged a couple of thier first tests together as Dave would ask me after working the 2nd or 3rd find with perfection "what do we do now?" I told him you have so much time left, you can either go find a corner to hide in as most people do or go hunting! Guess what they did? Went hunting, a true rarity in today's AKC HT game.

Not only was he a special GWP to watch in MH, but one of the best of any breed that has ran under my judgement.

My sympathies to Dave for the loss, but also my envy for Dave having had such a great dog.
mngsp
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Return to In Memory of