Storm and Addison

Dedicated to our friends (with four or two feet)

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Storm and Addison

Postby Christie » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:58 am

Our family has had to say good-bye to one loved one as we have welcomed another.

Storm died September 28th due to complications from transitional cell carcinoma, just one week after the birth of our daughter, Addison Elizabeth. Storm introduced me to the Universe of sporting dogs and hunting, and without her I never would have been inspired to create VersatileDogs. I think a great dog is one that leaves a good impression on everyone it meets, and Storm was just that – fantastic personality, well behaved, excellent hunting instinct, and a never ending drive to please. She is dearly missed and I feel truly blessed to have had her for these last 12 years.

You may recall that Rook, Mike’s dog, died of cancer two years ago. Both Storm and Rook had the same cancer (TCC) but this type accounts for less than 5% of all canine cancers. 5% may not seem high, but TCC occurrences have been on the rise and have been linked to increases in pesticide use in our dogs (flea/tick applications, heartworm and intestinal parasite doses, etc). Although I don’t recommend halting use of these preventatives, you can easily screen for this cancer. In many cases, it can be diagnosed early by having your dog’s urine screened yearly for abnormal cells when they reach their senior years. Although we had been getting yearly senior checkups, urine screenings were not performed.

Addison Elizabeth was born September 21st to Karl and I. She was a whopping 8lbs, 13oz and 22 inches long.

KC's Perpetual Motion - "Storm"
Darcy's Angel
Support the Men and Women in our Armed Forces. :usa
Christie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby yawallac » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:22 am

She's a beautiful "little" girl. :)

Congratulations!!
yawallac
Champion Poster
Champion Poster