Lost our lab...

Dedicated to our friends (with four or two feet)

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Lost our lab...

Postby KY Duck Hunter » Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:08 pm

Sad news from a sad owner. Our black lab, Scout, was hit by a car a couple of weeks ago and didn't survive. He was only 6 mo.

I take full responsibility for losing him. I pushed him too hard, too fast and was far over-confident in his discipline. I had him in the front yard, off leash, taking him from the garage to his kennel behind our house. He saw some kids across the street and couldn't resist going to say hello. I don't even remember if I tried the emergency DOWN that we had been working on. I just saw a red truck and my buddy getting hit.

Like the horse he was he got back on his feet, made it into my arms in the driveway and never budged again. I knew he wasn't going to make it so I tried to get him to the vet, so they could make him comfortable, but he couldn't even hold on that long. He died in the car just minutes from our house. I'm just happy I had time to tell him how sorry I was for letting him down and how much we all loved him.

It's been tough...very quiet around the house. No wagging tail when I come home at night, no friend to wrestle with after dinner. We're going to bury his ashes under the maple we just planted by his kennel. We figure that way he can watch over the next pup.

Talking about getting another lab - we worry it's too soon, but our family just doesn't seem whole without a dog in it. But we'll never forget our first.

See ya buddy. You deserved a long life. But I know God loves puppies too. Wait until he gets a look at you.

Rest in Peace
Mabel's Brave Little Scout
December 1, 2005 - June 9, 2006.
Last edited by KY Duck Hunter on Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
One man's attempt at training a hunting dog:
Hunting With Labs
KY Duck Hunter
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby KYgsp » Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:24 pm

Sorry to hear that, I know it is a rough time. I have been through it myself more than once.
KYgsp
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:47 pm

I could always tell from your posts that Scout was something special in your life - and likely he always will be. I'm sitting here sobbing, feeling so badly for you..... and also remembering a similar tragedy in one of my own pet's short life. Time is the only thing I know that helps these things. We'll all be looking forward to your next posts as soon as possible. Really, really sad.

Bruce
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:52 am

In times like these, words never quite ease the pain. We all feel what you are feeling. Your dog, was our dog.

Good luck
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby lgreenberg » Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:02 am

I don't even know what to say.

I feel absolutely awful for you.

I'm so sorry.
lgreenberg
Started
Started

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:54 pm

KY Duck Hunter: how you doing? Been canoeing any?
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby KY Duck Hunter » Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:35 pm

Hey Bruce, thanks for asking. Been doing pretty good. We got Scout's ashes back a few days ago, so we will have some closure on that chapter of our family this weekend. We're going to have a little funeral for him and let our daughters write him some letters and stuff. Anything to help them deal with it. They've done pretty well so far. Each had a good cry and I along with them. My wife had some really nice black and whites of him framed for our hallway. I guess that's how we cope.

I HAVE been canoeing as a matter of fact. I did some serious canoeing a couple weekends ago. We did the Big South Fork of the Cumberland River. It's a yearly trip with the guys. Big group this year, eight of us. The water was waaaay down so I spent almost as much time portaging as I did paddling, but it was still a lot of fun. Great way to take my mind off of things. Still had some nice Class II's in there but it has been better in years past. It's just a very finicky river. Fishing was great though. Lots of smallmouth.

Here's a shot of me and one of my buddies on some flatwater. (I'm the one in the back) Unfortunately the better whitewater pictures didn't turn out real well.

We're thinking of doing the Gauley next year or the Pigeon River in TN. [/img]
Hunting With Labs
KY Duck Hunter
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:25 pm

That's good. I grew up in the Ozarks and canoed every weekend - the river in the picture looks a lot like the Meramac, Jack's Fork, Buffalo, etc. Never saw anyone use a kayak paddle in a canoe but looks like it works. You need a black puppy in the bow. Smallmouth bass are my favorite.[/code]
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Buffalo

Postby fdv » Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:10 pm

Yes the buffalo is beautiful I canoed it when I lived in Louisiana and yes smallmouth are the best.
Don't complain, Train!!!!
fdv
Started
Started

Postby KY Duck Hunter » Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:32 pm

Bruce Schwartz wrote:That's good. I grew up in the Ozarks and canoed every weekend - the river in the picture looks a lot like the Meramac, Jack's Fork, Buffalo, etc.

It's a great river - very quiet. Most weekends you won't see more than a dozen other people out there and few of them overnight.

Never saw anyone use a kayak paddle in a canoe but looks like it works.

The kayak paddle gives me a lot more control on the rapids. Plus I can paddle for two on the flat stuff. I don't fish much anymore so whoever is in the boat with me basically gets a trolling motor.
Hunting With Labs
KY Duck Hunter
Seasoned
Seasoned

Return to In Memory of