Our friend Pat McKinely passes

Dedicated to our friends (with four or two feet)

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Our friend Pat McKinely passes

Postby GRIFF MAN » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:05 am

Very few times in ones life do you meet someone that has an impact on your life. I was lucky to have met Pat McKinley some 8 years ago and what a pleasure it has been to know Pat since that first day.

Unfortunately, Pat's life came to an early end last week but what a legacy he has left us to carry on. Pat was the Godfather of the Griffon world and a major influence in the G.U.N ( Griffon Underground Network) and has been a major part in making the Griff breed as strong as it is. He always had a kind word and a witty remark that always made sense. I was able to share a camp fire or two as well as time in the woods with Pat and you really get to know the character of a man when you hunt with him. Pat was a top notch guy !!

Pat was known by many on this forum. I ask that you take a moment and thank God for knowing Pat or perhaps someone else that has influenced your life.

I'm sure Pat already has the dogs in the field and shooting at roosters and bobwhite up in heaven. God speed Pat !!

GRIFF MAN * LOVING LIFE AND MY GRIFF!

Aspen Glo's Kennels
Wirehaired Pointing Griffons
www.aspenglokennel.com
GRIFF MAN
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Our friend Pat McKinely passes

Postby orhunter » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:49 pm

My introduction to Pat came through my search for the best hunting Griffons and the breeders who produced them. This was probably pretty close to 12 years ago, Dec. 2003 to be exact. Griff Man introduced me to Brian White, Des Chien Griffons, who gave me a short list of three or four breeders expecting litters in the spring of 2004. Pat was on that list. Based on what I was looking for in a dog, Pat's litter seemed the closest to satisfying my needs. I wanted an athlete that could run, I wasn't disappointed. Pat and I always kept in touch and I've got a pretty good collection of photos of he and his dogs over the years. I finally got the opportunity to meet Pat face to face when I drove out to Brian's place in Prairie du Chien, to pick up a pup. It was sort of a mini, who's who, of the Griff world and I felt privileged to be there. The problem was, I never had the chance to spend the time necessary with the individuals to get to know them the way I wanted so went away disappointed.

Many of us go through life with a list of folks we wish we'd have known, folks we could relate to on a personal level or maybe for their intellectual contributions. My list consists of, Thomas Jefferson, Albert Einstein, Ernest Hemingway and Pat McKinley. I'm really upset that the one person I actually had a chance to get to know, I let slip away. Pretty damn lame of me......

I agree with Jamie about Pat's contribution to the Griff world. I'm sorry I don't actually know in detail what that contribution was but I wish that someone who does can put it in writing so it doesn't get lost. We all owe a debt of gratitude to this great man.

Thank you Pat.

Harvey Storey
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Grizwald » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:22 am

So very sad to hear the news of Pat's passing.
Pat was a joy to be around! He shared a wonderful witty sense of humor. And a $#*! load of information. The guy is a history book of all things grif!
I was lucky to hunt with Pat in South Dakota a few years back. He's one of those guys you want to hunt with. Always happy. Always humble. He seemed to enjoy others success more than his own. A true gentlemen.
Many of us in the GUN dog world owe a huge thanks to Pat and all he contributed. I will be forever grateful.
Thank you Pat! I wish your family the very best.
Hunt on! There's a few grifs happy to see you.
Grizwald
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby centershots » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:38 am

Very sad news... some folks leave a legacy behind with they leave, Pat was surely one of those folks. I'll bet there's a lot of happy Griffs in heaven's fields right now. Thank you Pat for all you've done, hunt em up with all our loving friends up there with you... you will be missed down here.
George DeCosta, Jr.
www.huntinggriff.com
centershots
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby orhunter » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:52 pm

Every time I do e-mails and go through my contact list, there's Pat. Wonder how long I'll keep his name there?
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GRIFF MAN » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:57 am

Not sure if anyone knows but there was a nice article in Navhda on Pat McKinely and his life in Navhda.

Thank you to whoever wrote the article.

Griffman
GRIFF MAN * LOVING LIFE AND MY GRIFF!

Aspen Glo's Kennels
Wirehaired Pointing Griffons
www.aspenglokennel.com
GRIFF MAN
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to In Memory of