She went quietly into the good night

Dedicated to our friends (with four or two feet)

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: She went quietly into the good night

Postby Steve Anker » Thu May 16, 2013 6:57 am

This past weekend I was talking to a fellow Trialer, a heavy hitter, a living legend, and he mentioned to me..."What was the name of that Pointer you used to run? The one that ran like the breeze? The one we always regretted running against "

GRITZ....I said.

"Yeah, that's the one ...damn fine dog." He said

Thanks for the memories
Steve "HOSS" Anker
ANKER OUTFITTERS
A-TEAM Gun Dog Training
FEATHER TERROR KENNELS

"Time with my dogs clears my mind, renews my faith, and lets me see the world as it is. My only regret loving dogs as I do, is the misery of their early departure." Robert G. Wehle
Steve Anker
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby marysburg » Sat May 18, 2013 11:48 pm

The great ones really leave an empty space when they are gone. I am so sorry for your loss.
marysburg
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Steve Anker » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:28 am

I remember a Grouse Hunting Trip one fall season......

We arrived in New Hampshire after driving some 10-12 hours, stopped to get the first hunt of the trip started.

Parked my rigg and let the dogs out. GRITZ ran like a wild beast, first one out, suddenly WHAAAAAM, stuck a point, just the other side of the ditch, on a bluff overlooking the forest. We were still getting loaded up but I grabbed my double and went to take a look.
Up went a Grouse, BAM.......nailed it......'cept it fell down a deep ravine, lost for good, too tough of a retrieve to send the dog. Just as I looked at GRITZ to tell her to stand down, to apologize to her, SHE TOOK OFF, down the steep ravine. Well some 10 minutes later out she came, proud as a peacock, holding gently the GROUSE in her mouth.
Steve "HOSS" Anker
ANKER OUTFITTERS
A-TEAM Gun Dog Training
FEATHER TERROR KENNELS

"Time with my dogs clears my mind, renews my faith, and lets me see the world as it is. My only regret loving dogs as I do, is the misery of their early departure." Robert G. Wehle
Steve Anker
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby bullfrog » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:00 pm

I love stories like that! Every once in a while when you give up on a retrieve but they bring it to you anyways. Doesn't get any better!
bullfrog
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Steve Anker » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:18 am

Some summer training sets come to mind, reminiscing about GRITZ, sets where we would run for 30 minutes around the Ponderosa with another dog, in a brace. Well, my usual training partner, my training fare, my WORLD BEATER training buddy, would be to run a horseback brace with a dog named REBEL, Sandy Creeks Skeedaddle, a setter that was number ONE in the country for a few years, AKC. I say setter but the dog thought he was a POINTER the way he ran. Dog was handled by my good friend Kenny Kohles.

RUN, POINT and BACK, POINT and BACK, with both of us in hard chase on horseback, followed by a big shaggatatious RUN right to the finish.

Some of the most impressive sets, the pinnacle of Field Trialing, the greatest performances I've ever seen were put down, here in training, on the Ponderosa.

George Tracy once told me, "Save the BIG runs for where it counts", well, we had the biggest runs here working hounds. My own memory, and my buddy Kenny's, holds the accounting of those days runs forever etched in our minds.
Last edited by Steve Anker on Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve "HOSS" Anker
ANKER OUTFITTERS
A-TEAM Gun Dog Training
FEATHER TERROR KENNELS

Steve Anker
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby SMAbby » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:22 pm

Steve Anker wrote:Some summer training sets come to mind, reminiscing about GRITZ, sets where we would run for 30 minutes around the Ponderosa with another dog, in a brace. Well, my usual training partner, my training fare, my WORLD BEATER training buddy, would be to run a horseback brace with a dog named REBEL, Sandy Creeks Skeedaddle, a setter that was number ONE in the country for a few years, AKC. I say setter but the dog thought he was a POINTER the way he ran. Dog was handled by my good friend Kenny Kohles.

RUN, POINT and BACK, POINT and BACK, followed by a big shaggatatious RUN right to the finish.

Some of the most impressive sets, the pinnacle of Field Trialing, the greatest performances I've ever seen were put down, here in training, on the Ponderosa.

George Tracy once told me, "Save the BIG runs for where it counts", well, we had the biggest runs here working hounds. My own memory, and my buddy Kenny's, holds the accounting of those days runs forever etched in our minds.

:puppydogeyes: :-? :-D
VC Max vom Schutzenknapp VJP 75, HZP190, VGP 303 PI 4H Nose, NA 112, UT 204 Invite 196
Baja vom Wamsbach VJP 64, HZP 169, NA 112
Anka vom Loofkamp VJP 66, HZP 139,HZP 172, NA 112
Krystal Creeks Untamed Spirit ( Abby) NA 93 Prize III UT 200 Prize II
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby STait » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:05 pm

Sorry for your loss!
STait
Master Poster
Master Poster