Pheasant hunting, 3 limits in 3 days

Wanna brag about an accomplishment or share something good? Do it here!

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Pheasant hunting, 3 limits in 3 days

Postby mgrucker » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:44 am

Went pheasant hunting in southwest MN and had the best hunting of my life! I've hunted in this area before so I had some ideas of which spots were better than others during previous trips. Thursday I got into town around 2 and only saw 1 hen between the first couple bits of public land I stopped at. The third spot I stopped at I saw two roosters and got them both. The trip is already off to a good start having got my limit on the first day. The next day I went to a new spot and had my two birds 35 minutes after starting and saw 5 more while finishing my walk around the spot. The third day I slept in late, went and got breakfast, and made it to the field about 11:00am. As soon as I stepped out of my truck 7 or 8 birds flushed all around the parking area. We walked in the direction they went and the third bird that we got up was a rooster that I knocked down. I then walked back towards the parking area and went off in a different direction. I made it about 100 yards before 2 roosters got up and I had my 2nd bird 45 minutes after we started. My dog (a pudelpointer) did really well. This is his second year and he pointed the majority of the birds we saw or at least was obviously working on something when it would fly early. One time he pointed directly at my feet and I took one step toward him and the rooster flushed so close it bounced off his head.... I missed that one :lol:
Attachments
20151107_120426_HDR.jpg
saturday
20151106_103028.jpg
friday
20151105_170527.jpg
thursday
mgrucker
Seasoned
Seasoned

Re: Pheasant hunting, 3 limits in 3 days

Postby jlw034 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:45 pm

Awesome!

I wish MN was like this every year.
jlw034
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby mtlhdr » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:57 pm

Sweet. Our pheasant opener is Saturday. We've got a three day trip planned. A bird a gun a day would be nice. Keep it up.
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Quilldog » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:08 pm

We saw birds every time we went out first year actually hunting my first griffon Minnesota has birds just have to push deeper and farther back where no one else is willing to go your dog will point and work many birds. A day watching the dogs work is so relaxing. A buddy wants to make the switch to a bearded lil hunter.
Quilldog
Started
Started

Return to Brags and Wags