Cedarwoods Flyin High Again - 204

Wanna brag about an accomplishment or share something good? Do it here!

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Cedarwoods Flyin High Again - 204

Postby Deacon » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:49 am

It wouldn't be the VersatileDogs site if we didn't have pudelpointer owners here bragging on their dogs. Here is my chance.

I posted pics a year and a half ago of my Ozzy dog and my then 8 year old son and their Prize 1 NA test and the pictures were well received here. We have been working diligently since then towards the goal of running in Utility this fall. Yesterday was the day, and the dog I knew showed up with a maximum score. To say I was happy and proud of him would be an understatement.

To get to this point Ozzy and I took a unique, and rather expensive, detour in our training to prepare. Although the results were great I can't say I recommend it. 5 weeks ago we while training the water sequence the dog severed an artery and a tendon in his front leg. We nearly lost him. He was only saved through some quick thinking of my training partner who happened to have an extensive first aid kit. That gave us enough time to get him to a surgeon. That surgeon further stabilized the blood loss and sent us to the ER Clinic where they were able to ligate the artery.

For the past five weeks Ozzy has been on crate,couch, and bed duty. We did get in a short duck search this past week along with one planted bird for him in the field before the test. As I said, I wouldn't recommend this method of training but it worked for us! Bring on duck season!
Deacon
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: Cedarwoods Flyin High Again - 204

Postby marysburg » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:04 pm

You must be busting your shirt buttons. Nice work, and glad he made it through the injury ok, congratulations.
marysburg
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby JTracyII » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:30 pm

Congrats on the test!! I bet you will enjoy your hunting season this year.
JTracyII
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Deuce » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:43 pm

Congrats! Happy hunting this fall!
Deuce
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby bullfrog » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:54 pm

Way to go! I bet he was happy to be chasing birds and not be on the couch.
Do you know how he severed the artery? Sounds super scary.
bullfrog
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby flc » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:56 pm

Several years ago I was hunting in the Black Kettle area with my two GSPs. My female cut an artery on barb wire and was losing blood fast. I had just a little while earlier read an article in one of the magazines about a product and purchased it. A little pressure and a liberal coating of this stopped the bleeding quickly. She had already lost a lot of blood and it was almost 3 miles back to the truck. We made it home and had an expensive trip to a vet emergency room (Saturday night.) Being retired military I know first aid but I'm not sure I could have stopped the bleeding the way it was gushing. Since then, I have never gone out with a dog without a tube of it in my vest or pocket. it is: Trophy EMT Gel Colagen Wound Dressing.
Grouse Points B K Beatrix (Bea)
RIP Shooting Starr's Commander (Ike), Murphy Brown and many others
flc
Pup
Pup

Postby Addicted2fowl » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:33 pm

Great Job!!! A great dog to get a perfect score after an injury like that and light training before hand!!!! Invitational bound???
"Real dogs have beards"
Addicted2fowl
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Deacon » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:32 am

Do you know how he severed the artery?

He had completed his duck search work and we were working on retrieve of the duck. Basically, just making sure the dog would stay steady during the fall and splash. He did it correctly the first two times but I had one cap left in my gun and I just had to fire it. When I sent him he hit the water and just screamed. It was something under the surface of the water. The pond I was using is on State land and is used not only by 2 different retriever clubs, and a drathaar club, but also for various nefarious reasons. I never looked for the object that cut him but it could have been glass, or a needle, or maybe just a sharp stick.

Invitational bound???

I have always maintained that I would never run the Inv. due to the expense. Now that it sits before me I am going to put the decision off until spring and see how I feel then. Everybody I know who has been there says that it is a must do, at least once. My immediate plan is to try and make the duck season as lousy as possible for those individuals south of me in the flyway.
Deacon
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Addicted2fowl » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:55 pm

Deacon wrote:
Do you know how he severed the artery?

He had completed his duck search work and we were working on retrieve of the duck. Basically, just making sure the dog would stay steady during the fall and splash. He did it correctly the first two times but I had one cap left in my gun and I just had to fire it. When I sent him he hit the water and just screamed. It was something under the surface of the water. The pond I was using is on State land and is used not only by 2 different retriever clubs, and a drathaar club, but also for various nefarious reasons. I never looked for the object that cut him but it could have been glass, or a needle, or maybe just a sharp stick.

Invitational bound???

I have always maintained that I would never run the Inv. due to the expense. Now that it sits before me I am going to put the decision off until spring and see how I feel then. Everybody I know who has been there says that it is a must do, at least once. My immediate plan is to try and make the duck season as lousy as possible for those individuals south of me in the flyway.

Good deal... sounds like the pup has a good shot at getting a VC if you do... but ya knock em dead till then...after all that's what we have em for right?
"Real dogs have beards"
Addicted2fowl
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Return to Brags and Wags