Huxley NA Test

Wanna brag about an accomplishment or share something good? Do it here!

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Huxley NA Test

Postby Creeker » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:39 am

Well, went to my first ever NAVHDA test at the rappahannock NAVHDA chapter in virginia. Had no idea what to expect but had. A great time. Spent the night camp,ing on the grounds the nights before with my son which got a little chilly as it dropped below freezing but we wee there and ready to get started first thing. We were slotted second to last, dog number 8. There was one testing UT and 8 for NA. High temps for the day were supposed to be low to mid 40's which would help prevent overheating, but with the wind blowing as hard as it was, the water test was going to prove interesting, as was the track.
Prior to our field test, I had the opportunity to talk to a few participants that had completed previous tests over the years and they were great at setting my mind at ease so I wouldn't get too nervous and to give me advice on handling for the event. We finally get the call and that is when the nerves got going a little, I walked with the head judge so we talking to him I was able to keep my mind somehow hat occupied. I cut Huxley loose into the first field where no birds were planted, he did a nice job of searching there, we then cut through the woods to the next field. We got about 25 yards in and he started getting birds and finally locked up in a nice solid point. He held that for a bit as we walked up which got him excited and the bird flushed toward the woods. He gave chase into the thin section of woods that was now holding a million quail. As he entered a bunch more flushed which now had him all worked up. We let him work that for a minute and as he settled down they asked to me to call him back. Now I was uh oh, gonna loose some cooperation points. I hit my wistle and called and he did nothing. Did it again and still nothing. We stopped walking and looked back into the woods and he was locked up on a point staring into a bush on the edge. A moment later the bird got sick of waiting and flushed. So we now had a couple of good points. We continued through the fields nfor another 10 minutes where he was able to locate 2 more birds. Overall I was happy with the search. Next up was the track.
After a breaks in the action, we headed over to the track area. Now this is an area that's had not spent much time on (only practiced 3 times and did it wrong those 3 times). The start point was on the top of a hill that lead down into the a woods. The wind was blowing pretty hard at this point. As we waited for the dog in front of us to finish Huxley was getting really excited about all of the leaves blowing around in the field (one of his favorite things to kill). We get called over to the feather pile which I get him into so his face buried in in and proceed to pat the ground in the direction of the bird and try to bowl him forward. The minute I release the collar, what does he do but turn around and chase leaves and feathers for a while. We get him back on track and he starts to head toward the woods and turns around to chase more leaves. Takes a while but he finally goes into the woods but never located the pheasant. We wrangle him up and head to the water test area.
We get down to the water test and there is a nice chop on the water but there is an easy entry as it is a dirt boat ramp so no sudden drops as they enter the water. We are hanging out waiting for our turn to go and watched a couple of dogs decide that they didn't like the water or the cold and proceeded to only get their toes wet. They were gonna have to make another go of it with a bird. We finally get the call up and I go down to the water edge with him and find a bumper that looks very similar to what we used at home. Got him off leash and all excited for the bumper the. Proceeded to toss it in, now I was told by the judge to keep it close. It got away a little and was about 20 feet out there. He took off after it without any hesitation and brought it back to the bank where he let it go. I grabbed another bumper while he was headed back so we could get him right back in. I grabbed his collar before he could realize it was warmer out of the wAter and got him all worked up and tossed it 20 feet again, so much for keeping either close. He took off and got that one also. Who says Griffs don't swim?

Well we all went back to the main area to get our scores for the day, since they don't give you any clue throughout, i was again getting nervous. They finally get to Huxley and he earned a prize II with 108 points. The only are we lost points on was the track. I couldn't have been more proud of him, since we didn't work that properly going into the test anyway. Having a good dog from a great breeder helped a ton. Thanks Jamie and Aspen Glo for a great dog.
Eric
16 Gauge Stevens 94b
16 Gauge Stoeger Condor
Huxley - WPG
Creeker
Started
Started

Re: Huxley NA Test

Postby Camspal » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:56 pm

Very niceā€¦ Congratulations! :D
Camspal
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby SMAbby » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:59 pm

Good stuff! Congrats :multi:
VC Max vom Schutzenknapp VJP 75, HZP190, VGP 303 PI 4H Nose, NA 112, UT 204 Invite 196
Baja vom Wamsbach VJP 64, HZP 169, NA 112
Anka vom Loofkamp VJP 66, HZP 139,HZP 172, NA 112
Krystal Creeks Untamed Spirit ( Abby) NA 93 Prize III UT 200 Prize II
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby lanco » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:28 am

Good going, also it's a shame they can't always run it in cold water! Don't rest on ur laurels though, train for how you want to hunt: work on tracking its super useful!
lanco
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Constructeur » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:39 pm

Well, you're hooked now! :)
Constructeur
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby GRIFF MAN » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:31 pm

Great job, thats a great score for anyone especially a new handler !

I hope that's only the first of many of that litter that does well.
GRIFF MAN * LOVING LIFE AND MY GRIFF!

Aspen Glo's Kennels
Wirehaired Pointing Griffons
www.aspenglokennel.com
GRIFF MAN
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Fun Dog » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:05 pm

The track is the downfall of many young pups. Sounds like you both had fun though and that's the important thing. Having a good dog is huge and makes things so much more enjoyable. Congrats.
Dori
Fun Dog
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Creeker » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:35 pm

GRIFF MAN wrote:Great job, thats a great score for anyone especially a new handler !

I hope that's only the first of many of that litter that does well.

I checked the other day to see if anyone else tested, can't wait to see the other scores. His score had nothing to do with the handler. Think it was all in his blood.

It really was a fun day. Don't think I can out enough time in to get him ut ready but we will see.
Eric
16 Gauge Stevens 94b
16 Gauge Stoeger Condor
Huxley - WPG
Creeker
Started
Started

Postby bullfrog » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:48 pm

Nice work Creeker. You obviously have a great dog and you have done very well with him.
I would be very happy with that score!
bullfrog
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Return to Brags and Wags