PPs are Great Duck Hunters and More - Part 3

Wanna brag about an accomplishment or share something good? Do it here!

Moderator: Moderator Pack

PPs are Great Duck Hunters and More - Part 3

Postby Hdc » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:20 pm

Well I guess I am back a day before the 2nd anniversary of my original post to add another chapter. This past year has not been any less exciting than the first 2.

Cricket ended his second duck season with 183 ducks and geese retrieved for the season; then, we crammed in a little training and headed to Texas for the UT where he got a Prize 2. This was only the second time that either me or Cricket had attended a NAVHDA event and it was the first time for either one of us to see a UT test. We both learned a bunch and some of the errors made by Cricket during the test were due to my inexperience and not training properly for the test. Regardless, we had a good day, a respectable Prize, and met some really nice folks.

During the off season we did as much training as the hot Ms summer would allow, and I started training him to retrieve sheds. He picked that up really quick, and within a few weeks he was searching and finding every shed that I had planted in the field. We did not try the real thing, but plan to do so this year after our deer have dropped their antlers.

Took my annual pheasant trip to ND in October. Tried duck hunting the first 3 mornings, but the duck numbers were low, and we had limited success. Nonetheless, the pheasants were thick and we had 5 fantastic days of pheasant hunting with some great bird work, both pointing and tracking wounded birds, by Cricket.

Before our duck season started, he blood trailed his first deer for the year.

Weeks later, a buddy called to say his son had shot his first deer, and they had lost blood. He was one happy boy when Cricket found his deer.

From a sheer numbers standpoint, my duck season has been the worst I have had since I started hunting with Cricket. Regardless, we have had some good days, and he has been spot on retrieving (106 as of last Sunday).

He wasn’t very happy about his Christmas picture but my wife and daughter thought it was hilarious.

Needless to say, I love this dog, and we sure have had some good times.

Hdc
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: PPs are Great Duck Hunters and More - Part 3

Postby mtlhdr » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:08 pm

I always enjoy your photos. Thanks for sharing. Cricket sure sounds like a good one.
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JTracyII » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:10 pm

Thanks for sharing. You've obviously got a great dog.
JTracyII
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GSP_LAC » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:26 am

Beautiful dog. Love all the pictures with your updates.
GSP_LAC
Started
Started

Postby bullfrog » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:03 pm

Looks like a great season! Your dog looks great.
Is he bothered by the cold when duck hunting at all? My PP does fine if he can keep moving, but he doesn't sit well when wet even if it's not real cold out. However he is exceptionally short haired. The new pup looks like he will have a better coat.
bullfrog
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Hdc » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:47 pm

Thanks for all the kind comments about my dog and photos.

Regarding the cold question, it is rare that it gets really cold in Mississippi. We get one maybe two weekends per year during duck season where we have to deal with ice or highs below freezing. During the first two seasons, I noticed that on those cold (ice) days, he did appear to be a little cold after getting wet and sitting in the blind for extended periods of time, so this year I got a vest. As the folks on this site have mentioned numerous times, these commercial vest just don't fit the vdogs real well. Nonetheless, I put his vest on the one weekend where we did have lots of ice with lows in the 20s and temps below freezing all day. It is terribly loose around his narrow waste, but did appear to keep him more comfortable during the hunt. To be honest, he had more trouble handling the unseasonably warm temps in North Dakota this October than he has ever had handling cold temps.
Hdc
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Steve Anker » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:00 am

CHRIKEY....
Looks like the Woof is earning his keep...!
Keeping his agenda filled,
Nice Work
Steve "HOSS" Anker
ANKER OUTFITTERS
A-TEAM Gun Dog Training
FEATHER TERROR KENNELS

"Time with my dogs clears my mind, renews my faith, and lets me see the world as it is. My only regret loving dogs as I do, is the misery of their early departure." Robert G. Wehle
Steve Anker
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Deacon » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:22 pm

Great pictures as always. You guys shoot some really prime birds. I would love to shoot a pintail like those you have in those pictures.
Deacon
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Deuce » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:08 am

Looks like you had a heck of a hunting season. Congrats on the Pz 2 as well!
Deuce
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Hdc » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:25 pm

So we had some really good hunts to finish the year and Cricket, who had to share retrieving duties with two other dogs owned by my hunting buddies, ended the season with a total of 145 retrieved ducks.

Two years ago, I posted the picture below of my friend's son, Jack, who happily displayed his first greenhead killed on youth day.

He's come a long way in two years.

I took this picture as the light was just starting to appear in the East and we waited for legal shooting time to arrive. I knew it was the last day and was thinking how fun the season had been and how long it would be before we could do this again. Perhaps Cricket was sharing my thoughts.

Hdc
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Brags and Wags