Short But Great Season

Wanna brag about an accomplishment or share something good? Do it here!

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Short But Great Season

Postby Quailguy » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:46 pm

Jace, my 9 month old Pudelpointer, from LCM Kennels, has finished his first quail season in Southern California. This is a remarkable year for quail due the rains we received in 2017. I was able to get Jace into 100-300 wild birds in just a few hours, three times a week. When the season opened, I was able to continue his exposure and shot several birds around him. This culminated with a hunt 2 weeks ago with three of my regular hunting buddies. We bagged a total of 37 quail. Of those, Jace pointed and retrieved 9 for me and 6 for my buddies. The best was a double on my part where Jace picked up the first bird, brought it to me without taking his eyes off the second. That bird was able to get up an run so Jace tracked it about 40 feet into the brush and returned it to me. Oh ya, he likes tracking! The down side of his story was he went lame after that hunt. We feared a torn ACL but happily discovered was a case of panosteitis. that an anti inflammatory is relieving. I just had to brag on this little guy.
Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies
Quailguy
Started
Started

Re: Short But Great Season

Postby Doc E » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:31 pm

When it's a cool story, it ain't braggin'.
Ya done did good !
Doc E
HR UH MHR WR SR Casey RIP my friend :(
HRCH HR UH Tucker 1300 HR Ch. points :D
HRCH HR UH Weezle 250 HR Ch. points :)
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mtlhdr » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:39 pm

Excellent. That kind of exposure and experience for a pup will pay dividends. Go real easy with pano. You might think he's over it only to have it pop up in another leg. Chance had it as a youngster for a few months. I came away from the experience thinking a large or giant breeded puppy formula was appropriate, but I know there's some debate around that. Best of luck, hopefully this rain-on-fire landslide activity doesn't get any worse down there.
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Quailguy » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:43 pm

Thanks guys,
One part I didn't mention was my normal hunting/training spot was lost in the Thomas fire. So, instead of driving 15 minutes to get him into birds, we drive 90 minutes to 2 hours. With is leg the way it is, it isn't a total loss. The fire started a mile from my house and a half mile from my training fields. Ironically, there are still birds up there in large numbers. The down side is there is little cover and the hawks have moved in for an easy meal. I'm the Secretary/Treasurer of the local Quail Forever and a few of us are hoping to assemble some brush piles for nesting and cover. I bought Jace for chukar, but haven't been able to find any in the desert (Mojave) nor the Sierras. If anyone is willing to pass on at least the zip code of a reasonable area, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Empty shells and full game bags to all

Mike
Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies
Quailguy
Started
Started

Postby AverageGuy » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:48 pm

Sounds like your pup got a good start in its first season. Seems quail were up everywhere but OK and TX this year. Here's to hoping for another good hatch and we can keep the party rolling.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Brags and Wags