Horses for field trials

Topics on non-sporting dog breeds

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Postby CherrystoneWeims » Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:47 am

Then, in 1986, I read in the paper that they were having the Boykin National Championship Field Trial in Camden, SC, so I decided to go and see what a Boykin was.

Bill Hall, a close friend and fellow Weim breeder (we have cobred a couple of litters together and co-own several dogs), judged that.

They are neat dogs. I still like the pointing dogs better since they do it all. I would have liked to take one of Mark's young setters in but this bitch needs more socialization than the setters.

I never thought that I would want to take one of the setters or red setters home but they really are growing on me! The only thing that is holding me back is all the hair.
CherrystoneWeims
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Alex V » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:33 am

Are there big diferences between those venues, or are they run prety much in the same way?
Gota love them pointing dawgz
Alex V
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Alex V » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:36 am

With my question I meant AKC, AF, etc...
Gota love them pointing dawgz
Alex V
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby CherrystoneWeims » Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:39 am

Alex V wrote:Are there big diferences between those venues, or are they run prety much in the same way?

They are somewhat different.

In AKC in order to become a FC you have to have pts. from a retrieving stake. You also have to have a major.

From what I understand AF has done away with live gunfire since someone was shot several years ago. So no retrieving stakes.

AF dogs also seem to run bigger than AKC dogs.
CherrystoneWeims
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby slistoe » Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:54 pm

Not all dogs require a retrieve in AKC. It varies by the requirement of the breed organization. In AKC the winners of the weekend stakes are awarded points on a sliding scale according to the number of dogs entered in the event. Accumulate enough points along with the other various sundry requirements tacked on by the breed associations, and you become FC (as cherrystone mentioned you must win in at least one stake that is large enough to garner 3 points). In the AF the weekend events are run to determine winners. Winners get a win certificate that allows them to enter into Championships. There are a limited number of Championship stakes held and only the Winner of a Championship Stake can be called Champion. You can win all the weekend stakes you want, but if you can't put it together on the big day you will never be crowned Champion. The Championship stakes are always a minimum of 1 hour.
slistoe
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Steve Anker » Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:37 pm

Alex Veeeee-
the event you ran KATRO in , here on the Ponderosa was an American Field Event. Some of the nicest dogs around the area ran and burnt up our hedgerows. AKC basically has the same nuts and bolts rules, dog/handler wise, but Am Field, as someone said ( agreed ) dogs run much bigger and the performances are on a different scale.

Hook up with me and I'll show ya both-

my Longtail Brother...
Steve "HOSS" Anker
ANKER OUTFITTERS
A-TEAM Gun Dog Training
FEATHER TERROR KENNELS

"Time with my dogs clears my mind, renews my faith, and lets me see the world as it is. My only regret loving dogs as I do, is the misery of their early departure." Robert G. Wehle
Steve Anker
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Previous

Return to Other Breeds