new here...breed suggestions

Topics on non-sporting dog breeds

Moderator: Moderator Pack

reply to Pam

Postby Joan » Thu May 04, 2006 5:58 am

[quote="CherrystoneWeims"]How about a Boykin Spaniel? They aren't too big and only require brushing. As long as you keep the ears clean (give a good swishing with an equal mix of alcohol and vinegar) then you should not have a problem. They are great family dogs and have a hapy temperament.
Pam
>
I've looked at some spaniel breeds. Not sure about whether they would be right for me. Altho' the Boykin sounds like it may be one of the calmer of the spaniels? Most spaniels I have seen (springers/cockers) seem rather hyper and nuerotic. Altho' that may be because of being kept as pets and not getting much exercise, which is what I see around here. Ones I have seen go into a barking frenzy at every thing they see!
I've also read here and there about spaniels being sensitive and shutting down if they don't like the way a person handles or trains them.

Actually I am giving some thought now to a golden retreiver.
I know they are highly trainable and obedient type of dogs, without the behaviour issues of some other breeds (I think). I have seen lately some goldens that are quite small. Still larger than I had planned on.....
Joan
Started
Started

Re: reply to Pam

Postby JBsetter » Thu May 04, 2006 8:49 am

[quote="Joan"][quote="CherrystoneWeims"]How about a Boykin Spaniel? They aren't too big and only require brushing. As long as you keep the ears clean (give a good swishing with an equal mix of alcohol and vinegar) then you should not have a problem. They are great family dogs and have a hapy temperament.
Pam
>
I've looked at some spaniel breeds. Not sure about whether they would be right for me. Altho' the Boykin sounds like it may be one of the calmer of the spaniels? Most spaniels I have seen (springers/cockers) seem rather hyper and nuerotic. Altho' that may be because of being kept as pets and not getting much exercise, which is what I see around here. Ones I have seen go into a barking frenzy at every thing they see!
I've also read here and there about spaniels being sensitive and shutting down if they don't like the way a person handles or trains them.

Actually I am giving some thought now to a golden retreiver.
I know they are highly trainable and obedient type of dogs, without the behaviour issues of some other breeds (I think). I have seen lately some goldens that are quite small. Still larger than I had planned on.....[/quote]

I've heard of more people getting bit by Goldens than any other dog. Maybe with the exception of a basset hound :wink:
JBsetter
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby CherrystoneWeims » Thu May 04, 2006 11:25 am

Boykins are a pretty calm dog. They do need lots of exercise. As far as shutting down if treated harshly I think that is a sign of a smart dog. Heck would you work if your boss treated you badly? Nope, you would quit your job!

Goldens really require lots of brushing. And they shed like something fierce! When I had one years ago it was like I had tumbleweeds in my house. They do have a high incidence of osteosarcoma, cataracts, other eye problems, and hip dysplasia.

Pam
CherrystoneWeims
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

other breed

Postby Anthony K. » Thu May 04, 2006 9:41 pm

Okay then find fault with this one, Schipperke. I think it fits your criteria except for the pointing thing but they are very bright and can learn that if that's what you want. When I'm done with the bigger dogs I think this is what I'll be going to. I do have a bit of experience with the Schipperke and I do find them to be pretty cool.
Otherwise go big and go with a Chesapeake Bay Retriever yes they are a little bigger than 25 lbs but can handle extreme cold, will retrieve anything, will point if you want them to, are fearless and will protect you and your property to the death, will go through hell and high water with you and for you and be happy to do it, will go for long walks with out complaint and you don't have to carry them. They do have an oily double coat that sheds heavy in spring thus requiring frequent undercoat rake. They are easy to train and stay trained but do require an experienced dog owner.
Happiness is hearing your children laugh.
Anthony K.
Started
Started

Re: reply to JBSetter....goldens

Postby Joan » Fri May 05, 2006 5:30 am

[quote="JBsetter
I've heard of more people getting bit by Goldens than any other dog. Maybe with the exception of a basset hound :wink
>
Thats interesting! Never heard of any bitey goldens before.
Only ones I have seen or been around have shown themselves to be tops in obedience classes and excellent to train. Always very friendly with everyone.
Wonder what causes the biting? Undersocialized? or Fear aggressiion?
Bassets, yes I have heard of them biting. Very stubborn dogs.
The one breed that I have heard as being very bitey are american eskimos. But this is a whole other topic.....
Joan
Started
Started

Reply to Anthony K.

Postby Joan » Fri May 05, 2006 5:54 am

[quote="Anthony K."]Okay then find fault with this one, Schipperke. I think it fits your criteria except for the pointing thing but they are very bright and can learn that if that's what you want. When I'm done with the bigger dogs I think this is what I'll be going to. I do have a bit of experience with the Schipperke and I do find them to be pretty cool.
>
Yes, I have considered this breed actually. because of their size, and toughness. Not as delicate as many small breeds.
Would like to meet one in person. It is not a common breed. But there is a breeder within a days drive from us. Their dogs spend alot of time outdoors even in the coldest weather. They are a very intelligent breed, said to be "thinkers". So not sure if that would be trouble for me or not! :)
What has been your experience with the schipperke?
Reply to my email freeflyt@vianet.ca since this is not a hunting breed.
>
Otherwise go big and go with a Chesapeake Bay Retriever yes they are a little bigger than 25 lbs but can handle extreme cold, will retrieve anything, will point if you want them to, are fearless and will protect you and your property to the death, will go through hell and high water with you and for you and be happy to do it, will go for long walks with out complaint and you don't have to carry them. They do have an oily double coat that sheds heavy in spring thus requiring frequent undercoat rake. They are easy to train and stay trained but do require an experienced dog owner.
>
No, not this breed. My nieghbour has one and it is way more dog than I would ever want. I've read about this breed and they can be difficult. But perhaps for someone who wants a challenging breed, they would be perfect. I do not. Definitely a physically tough dog. I see their dog as being very needy and demanding. Or perhaps they made it that way.
I have seen it bark for attention while being obedience trained. The dog decided he did not like having to sit, so barked at the owner for more attention. It is like there is no "off" switch on this dog.
This breed is also about the same size as my bernese in weight and I definitely want to scale down to a smaller breed. Maybe mid size or smaller.
Joan
Started
Started

reply to Pam

Postby Joan » Fri May 05, 2006 6:06 am

[quote="CherrystoneWeims"]Boykins are a pretty calm dog. They do need lots of exercise. As far as shutting down if treated harshly I think that is a sign of a smart dog. Heck would you work if your boss treated you badly? Nope, you would quit your job!
Goldens really require lots of brushing. And they shed like something fierce! When I had one years ago it was like I had tumbleweeds in my house. They do have a high incidence of osteosarcoma, cataracts, other eye problems, and hip dysplasia.
Pam.
>
Well furball tumbleweeds I am used to having around. Black ones that is. Altho' I think the golden may shed more year round than the bernese.
I had forgotten about the goldens health problems and there are quite a few. But one would think a well bred dog should not have these.
I will read more about the Boykin. The sensitivity issue in spaniels and some other breeds....I don't really know much about it. I have just seen it mentioned fairly often with spaniels generally. I don't know if that would be a problem. The dog I own now has issues with being groomed which is a problem. I guess one could call it a sensitivity or fear issue.
Joan
Started
Started

Postby CherrystoneWeims » Fri May 05, 2006 10:37 am

[quote="Joan. The sensitivity issue in spaniels and some other breeds....I don't really know much about it. I have just seen it mentioned fairly often with spaniels generally. I don't know if that would be a problem. The dog I own now has issues with being groomed which is a problem. I guess one could call it a sensitivity or fear issue.[/quote]

If I can give a suggestion for the grooming. Try doing it very often and push the issue. I had one dog that hated to have her flank rubbed and another that hated his rear examined. For the dog that hated to have his rear examined I stacked him up and we made an "assembly line" of people that just kept going over him. He was soon desensitized. For the bitch that hated her flank to be rubbed I just kept rubbing her at every opportunity and feeding treats at the same time. She soon learned to realize that it was a good thing to be rubbed.

As far as the sensitivity issue people say the same thing about Weimaraners. I haven't found that to be an issue with my dogs. One thing that I do know is that if they are treated fairly, let them know what is expected, and be consistant then there aren't any problems.

My dogs don't like to have nails done. They don't like the grooming table because they know that they are having nails done. Since they are such wash and wear dogs that is almost the only time they have to get up on the table

Pam
CherrystoneWeims
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Joan » Sat May 06, 2006 3:12 pm

[quote="CherrystoneWeims"
If I can give a suggestion for the grooming. Try doing it very often and push the issue. I had one dog that hated to have her flank rubbed and another that hated his rear examined. For the dog that hated to have his rear examined I stacked him up and we made an "assembly line" of people that just kept going over him. He was soon desensitized.
>
Thanks for the tip. But I have a problem that I am on my own when it comes to doing stuff with my dog. So getting an assembly line of people gathered would be difficult. Had my hubby try and help once, but he just seems to get my dog more excited than calmer.
My dog is highly food motivated and I have tried distracting her with treats with one hand while trying to brush out rear feathering and tail.
But it seems I need about 4 hands and have to be fast, before she can turn around and nail me.
I am planning to take her to a groomer so I can get someone to help me groom her properly.
>
Pam:
One thing that I do know is that if they are treated fairly, let them know what is expected, and be consistant then there aren't any problems.
>
From the very beginning (as a pup) I practiced daily grooming procedures with her. She would struggle a bit or protest with mouthing.
But she was a very "tactile" pup about everything.
I just ignored that and did what I had to do.
She was used to me clipping nails and brushing her. But over past couple years (nearly 5yrs now) she has developed fears.
I don't know why?
Joan
Started
Started

Postby Ghost » Mon May 15, 2006 12:58 pm

Border Terrier
Shetland Sheepdog

The Sheltie has a reputation of being yappy, but those that I've been around were not. IMO, they're also every bit as smart as Border Collies.
Ghost
Started
Started

Previous

Return to Other Breeds