new here...breed suggestions

Topics on non-sporting dog breeds

Moderator: Moderator Pack

new here...breed suggestions

Postby Joan » Tue May 02, 2006 2:57 pm

Hi all,

Thinking about acquiring a 2nd dog.
Can't seem to find a breed listed in CKC or AKC that has what I am looking for. As they say....every breed was bred for a purpose!
Obviously my breed hasn't been bred yet.
By searching some rare breed sites, there might be what I want...in another country. Or.....a mixed breed (my own custom breed?) with the right characteristics.
Only thing I have against a rescued mixed breeds, is the health may be questionable?
Joined this forum, as there seems to be discussion of unusual breeds or little known breeds here.

Looking for a smaller breed around 20-25lbs. max'.
A breed that can be easily carried when needed or transported in crate that doesn't take up alot of space.
A breed that doesn't need be to be clipped (brushing only) or prone to ear problems.
A breed that would naturally stick close to owner and look for direction from owner(ie willing to please).
Possible some pointer instincts.
A breed that will retrieve toys etc. (breed or personality trait) for exercise.
A breed (or personality trait?) that isn't stubborn/independent thinker or hyper and yappy.

Had a Papillon in mind as I do really like their looks.
Not all are hyper and yappy.
Nice colours and easy care coat. Long tail too. I don't like stubs!
However their size of about 10lbs as per breed standard, may be smaller and more delicate than I would want. Not a 100% certain on that yet.
A smaller brittany type dog with a longer tail and without the hyperness?

Lifestyle is such that I like to walk in northern woods(bush) and look for wildlife/birds to observe and shoot with a camera! Travelling to different locations is involved and sometimes travel in small boat or canoe.
I currently own (and for past 15yrs) a 90lb bernese mt. dog.
Taking one of these dogs for a walk in the bush is like walking with a horse!
Make a lot of noise crashing through underbrush, pants loudly in hot weather, and doesn't walk with any caution at all. Can be independent and stubborn at times. Tries to take over what direction we are going in.
Great breed for winter walks. Loves snow and cold.
This time of year, already it is too hot for her around 15-20celcius.

If I had a small dog I could easily pick it up and carry it when I want to sneak up on something.
I have had the problem in the past of coming across a rocky ridge about 10'high that we had to scale up. Large 90lb dog couldn't do it and I couldn't lift her. Had to make a big detour around.
Not sure which (large or small) dog would be best with large animal encounters? Such as bears, moose or coyote/wolves.
Small dog that sticks close and I could pick it up and keep it under control.
Large dog is hard to control if in a panic, but may deter large wild animals by size alone?

Well if anyone knows of other breeds that may be my ideal breed, please
pass them on!!
thanks,
Joan
Joan
Started
Started

BREED

Postby bill10979 » Tue May 02, 2006 3:19 pm

Hi Joan,
I have a breed in mind, one Im still working on in terms of standards and development. The breed in question is a cross between a Great Dane and a Shitz-Tzu, believe it or not. I call them a Great Sh*t.
Lots of work has gone into this. I see them as a very unique dog sold to discriminating buyers, when only the best will do. PM me for pricing.

All joking aside, this being a hunting dog site I doubt many of us will be much help. In all seriousness, I would try the local pound-lots would fit the bill once trained well. Sounds like a pet youre after.
bill10979
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Other breed

Postby Anthony K. » Tue May 02, 2006 9:50 pm

Joan, I think what you are looking for by your description is out there and fairly popular. They are a cross between a grey hound and a dacshund. THey come in a variety of colors most common is black and tan they can go all day and are fearless but only about 20 to 25 lbs depending on the breeder.
Happiness is hearing your children laugh.
Anthony K.
Started
Started

Postby JBsetter » Wed May 03, 2006 7:24 am

I have this VERY humorous thought of someone carrying their dog while sneaking up on a bird :lol:
JBsetter
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Reply bill10979

Postby Joan » Wed May 03, 2006 11:29 am

All joking aside, this being a hunting dog site I doubt many of us will be much help. In all seriousness, I would try the local pound-lots would fit the bill once trained well. Sounds like a pet youre after.
>
You may be right! Definitely a pet I am looking for.
But I am also looking for a breed that would be inclined to want to work with owner and be obedient.
I have seen hunting dog trials and how well these type of dogs take directions. Altho' good training I suppose is the key to it all.
Another possibility would be a dog like a border collie that is used to taking directions from owner. They are a nice size dog.

I am not against mixed breed, rescue dogs, other that for not knowing the genetic health background. Altho' adopting an adult one would think
any existing health problems would already be apparent.
Joan
Started
Started

Reply to Anthony K.

Postby Joan » Wed May 03, 2006 11:33 am

[quote="Anthony K."]Joan, I think what you are looking for by your description is out there and fairly popular. They are a cross between a grey hound and a dacshund. THey come in a variety of colors most common is black and tan they can go all day and are fearless but only about 20 to 25 lbs depending on the breeder.

Have not heard of it, but alot of "designer" breeds out there these days.
Sounds like you may be describing a Lancanshire heeler.
Joan
Started
Started

reply to JBsetter

Postby Joan » Wed May 03, 2006 11:47 am

[quote="JBsetter"]I have this VERY humorous thought of someone carrying their dog while sneaking up on a bird :lol
>
Might be worth a picture in itself! :)
Yes, well photographing wildlife is a matter of stealth and patience.
Sometimes one has to approach close enough to an animal or bird to get a clear shot.....other times one sits and waits for the wildlife to come to you.
A dog that can stay close and quiet and not go charging off in all directions would be nice. Or one that points when it sees something instead of chasing would be nice.
Joan
Started
Started

Postby terryg » Wed May 03, 2006 12:14 pm

go to google and type in "red setter". this is a breed that may very well match your description.
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand guard around the world ready to do violence on their behalf!
terryg
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby tam » Wed May 03, 2006 12:48 pm

Just out of curiosity, why do / would you take the dog along? From your description, it sounds like taking a dog along is more detrimental than helpful to your purpose of photographing wildlife.
tam
Seasoned
Seasoned

reply to terryg

Postby Joan » Wed May 03, 2006 1:11 pm

[quote="terryg"]go to google and type in "red setter". this is a breed that may very well match your description.
>
You are referring to Irish red setter?
Yes this breed has possibilities as well as the small Munsterlander.

I did find another breed that looks great and size is good, but personality/temperment is not what I would like.

Kooikerhondjes
14"-16"
20-40lbs
duck luring
dominant, independent, highly active, sensitive, need alot of socialization and intense training
Joan
Started
Started

replyt to tam

Postby Joan » Wed May 03, 2006 1:15 pm

[quote="tam"]Just out of curiosity, why do / would you take the dog along? From your description, it sounds like taking a dog along is more detrimental than helpful to your purpose of photographing wildlife.
>
As not all walks end up as being ones for photographing.
One can go for days without seeing much at all and other times one can see alot of wildlife. You never know when you start out, what kind of day it will be.
With all the walking I do it is a shame not to take a dog along.
Usually in the winter all I see is ravens.
Joan
Started
Started

Postby terryg » Wed May 03, 2006 2:47 pm

yes, it is the irish red setter. there is also a irish red and white setter of every similar breeding.

these are not to be confused with the akc "irish setter". a big, red, beautifully long haired, peabrain of a dog. :wink:
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand guard around the world ready to do violence on their behalf!
terryg
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

other breeds

Postby Anthony K. » Wed May 03, 2006 8:15 pm

Red setters are typically 40 lbs for females 50 for males i stick with my original suggestion of the dacshund greyhound . Miniture pinser is what they are.
Happiness is hearing your children laugh.
Anthony K.
Started
Started

Postby CherrystoneWeims » Wed May 03, 2006 9:45 pm

How about a Boykin Spaniel? They aren't too big and only require brushing. As long as you keep the ears clean (give a good swishing with an equal mix of alcohol and vinegar) then you should not have a problem. They are great family dogs and have a hapy temperament.

Pam
CherrystoneWeims
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Reply to Anthony K.

Postby Joan » Thu May 04, 2006 5:40 am

[quote="Anthony K."]Red setters are typically 40 lbs for females 50 for males i stick with my original suggestion of the dacshund greyhound . Miniture pinser is what they are.
>
Well I had looked at the Manchester terrier of which there are two sizes.
Similar to the mini pin' in behaviour but a bit larger.
Has a couple health issues which I am leary of.
It is a breed that needs protection from the cold in winter ie coat etc.
Where I live cold weather is from Nov' through Mar'.
Joan
Started
Started

Next

Return to Other Breeds