Try this

Topics on non-sporting dog breeds

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Try this

Postby hicntry » Sat Nov 05, 2005 9:46 am

Here is another couple of pitures of HC Curtis They were just screwing with him to see if he would walk over that apparatus which is for agility. The had him running through tubes and such, also for agility but the lat 2 pics are what he is being trained for...schutzhund. Curtis just turned 9 mo.

Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby terryg » Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:15 pm

i have tried that, on mulitple occasions, and as a matter of fact did quite well at it, but then you know that already don't you! :wink: :lol: :lol:

and just so you know, when they raise that wall to a height fo 6 feet it is sch required also. dogs at level sch II & III have to retrieve a 650 gram dumbell over the scaling wall in the obed phase.
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand guard around the world ready to do violence on their behalf!
terryg
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:27 pm

I knew that.LOL I know nothing about schutzhund. Everyone on my board kept saying how few dogs will do this and that, especially stand fast with an aggressor. Sounded like a good place to test the breeding. He had some down time with the first trainer because she was in love and had other priorities. She did a good job but he spent to much down time and Curtis was placed with another trainer. They say he has "no fear" of anything.....including Malinois and gsd's. I am keeping my fingers crossed about the rest because there is a long way to go. I am really interested in the tracking portion even though it looks more like an obedience exersize to me.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby terryg » Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:36 pm

the tracking pahse is in fact just a test of the ability to use the nose to floow a scent when directed and to identify objects that may have been dropped along the track.

it should not be confused with trailing which most are referring to when they talk about "tracking" and what your hog and bear dogs do.

trailing includes many more things than sticking his nose in the scent trail left on the ground, much more of the scent where the ground and vegetation have been disturbed than the actual odor of the prey and floowing a precise track rather than finding anybody or anything.

as for standing up to other dogs that si far easier than standing up in a humans face. dogs are dog oriented and have a much easier time dealing with something they understand as similar to themselves. a human is a totally different story.

what about our buddy ed w. he was training a dale for this work but last i heard it was at his usual speed :wink:
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand guard around the world ready to do violence on their behalf!
terryg
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:43 pm

Ed's Brisco is doing great. Rated by most as the #1 dale in the US in schutzhund. He was at a competition recently were Brisco outpointed the # 2 rated Malinois. Quite an accomplishment for an airedale. Manwork is of no interest to me but it is another way to test what I am breeding, similar to the ones doing birdwork since I am not a bird hunter. Several of my dogs have CD and CDX's in obedience also. None of my personal dogs are titled and I have no intentions or desire to pursue titles. My titles are heads hanging on the wall. I give dogs to trainers of specific venues only to make sure I am breeding solid dogs, that can be trained to whatever else is expected of them, and capable opf doing it. I am not going to spend my personal time trying to do something I know nothing about when I could be roaming the mountains. Besides. I still like to see them do well at something so many fail at.LOL Dang Terry, am I talking about my dogs again.LOL Maybe if I got out more I could talk about someone elses.

hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby terryg » Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:12 am

Ed's Brisco is doing great. Rated by most as the #1 dale in the US in schutzhund.

before your head gets too big to walk between the oaktrees remeber that is not such a big accomplishment when you consider there probably ain't 2 competeing nationwide so take what he says with a grain of salt :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

putting dogs with others is the way to do it. the journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step. if i was younger i would have taken you up on getting one of your dogs myself but at our age we are pretty well set in what we want to do anymore and as they say "the older we get the better we were!"
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
terryg
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:43 pm

Ahh! There is no need for my head to swell at all. I had nothing to do with Brisco or his accomplishments Terry. Yes, there are not a lot of airedales able to compete it protection sports so it does make being # 1 not as great as outpointing the # 2 malinois and every specialty dog in the comp. That is an acomplishment at anytime. Brisco also has his senior tracking title, senior flushing title, and senior retreiver title. He is doing well for versatile dog that isn't.LOL

hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby terryg » Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:05 pm

Brisco also has his senior tracking title, senior flushing title, and senior retreiver title.

i am not familiar with those. do you have any more info?

and not to disparage the dale, as i love all of them, but look at the pics above on the retriever post i made and you will see what real top mals look like and rest assured, ed has never come near them. in person or with a dog. :wink:

check under your skirt for smoke! :wink:
terryg
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Hank » Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:10 pm

Hicntry,

You'll love this. Since my PP died I've been climbing the walls without a dog, so I adopted this guy from the pound. He is a rott x pitbull mix that came from an eviction situation. The other 2 dogs in the house were unadoptable due to agression issues. He is 2 yrs old and spent most of his life chained to a tree year round. No dog house. No nothing.

Amazingly, he's one of the most obedient and trainable dogs I've ever had. He cost me all of $5 and I've had him 3 days. He was house broke on day 1. He peed when I first took him inside, probably due to nerves and the smell of Ellie. I scolded him and that was it. No more of that.

It took him to Vet yesterday for shots. He was there once 1 1/2 years ago to be neutered and vaccinated for rabies. That's it. The Vet was afraid to vaccinate him without a muzzle but he never growled once. They assessed him at the pound to determine if he was adoptable and he displayed no agression issues at all, either with people, kids, or other dogs. After only 3 days, he's my boy. I am so glad I adopted him.

His name is Diesel. 81 lbs of pure joy.

I still plan to get another bird dog but he'll do in the meantime! 8)
Hank
bigpharma2002@yahoo.com
Cedarwoods Topaz Dawn (aka Ellie)
Pudelpointer
Hank
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby hicntry » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:00 pm

Hey Hank, How ya been guy! I wondered what happened to you! Hey, I didn't know Ellie had died. Sorry to hear that. You had such great expectations for her. Diesel looks heavy duty. Tell you what I think about some breeds that get a bad rap Hank, rotties being at the top of the list. It isn't bad temperaments many times, it is bad hips and they hurt. Rotties are not pain tolerant as you find in some breeds. Good looking guy but he doesn't look like a retriever. Can't beat the price or the fact that you gave a good dog a new lease on life. Works out for both of you. Good to hear from you Hank. Don't be a stranger.

hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Hank » Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:18 pm

Yeah, I posted a synopsis of what happened to Ellie in the PP thread, so I won't rehash it here. I never got to hunt her at all this year and it's a shame. I really felt she was ready to perform well this year. However, I am hoping to get another bird dog this spring.

As for Diesel, I'm hoping the fact that he's not pure bred will help with any predisposition towards diseases common in rotties or pits. Crosses usually display some degree of hybrid vigor and, given the life he's had to endure up until now, he's proven that he's a hardcore survivor. Thankfully, he has seemlessly assimilated into my home and his new lifestyle faster than I could have ever hoped and is just as gentle as can be, in spite of his looks.

At the very least, he'll keep me in good shape until that next bird dog pup arrives because he likes to be taken on long walks daily. My legs are already aching!

Oh, and I should add that he actually does like retrieving things. The only difference is that he kind of lumbers, instead of sprints, and gets bored after 10 minutes or so and trys to bury the ball. I haven't gotten him to retrieve to hand reliably yet either! :lol:
Hank
bigpharma2002@yahoo.com
Cedarwoods Topaz Dawn (aka Ellie)
Pudelpointer
Hank
Master Poster
Master Poster

Return to Other Breeds