Bill...coyote hunt

Topics on non-sporting dog breeds

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Postby terryg » Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:41 am

It was a great weekend.... and ya could hear chukar birds all over to bad they didnt have fur.LOL

well if don would train his dog to hunt quail like i have told him to do he would have at least spent more time hunting than 4 wheeling. :lol: :lol: :lol:

he is another one of those 'my dog can only do one thing" guys! :roll: :lol:

and i stand corrected. i read in the paper about some water over by elko and somebody said they found a little by winnamucca last year but we didn't see any pictures. :wink: :lol: :lol:
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand guard around the world ready to do violence on their behalf!
terryg
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:31 pm

Terry, I had the hard case culls on this trip. They were all as good as it gets and ther were 3 or 4 strange dogs there. Two of them pretty growly. Hunter, my worst offender just looked at them while they were carrying on and growling, and calmly looked at them. The fellow with the other growly dale was impressed my dogs were so calm. Not even a growl. After they figured out the guy wasn't going to get close enough to reach his dog, they went over and layed down. A fifteen lb patterdale that was ancient went over and started eating out of Hunters bowl. Hunter calmly walked over and checked him out. The patterdale snarled and snapped at him and he just looked at the pat with amusement and went back and layed down. The only tense moments was when my dogs got by each other. They are all alphas....all those other dogs meant nothing to them. Just got to understand the dogs.
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:41 pm

Terry, everyone made fun of my whoosie dogs. Hunter, Geronimo, Titan. Not a growl even tho there were two dogs growling and snapping at them. The just looked t them with disdain and layed down......and stared at the big one and totally ignored the little one. The big one was another airedale but I could tell at a glance they were looking down on him. The little dog was old and even growled and snapped at Hunter while he was eating out of Hunters food bowl. Hunter just studied him for a few seconds and layed down. Good as gold they were. My dogs were the only alphas dogs there and did have to be kept on a picket line so they couldn't reach each other. The other dogs in camp were just no threat to their position and got ignored. Just got to understand what you are looking at.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Bill

Postby bill10979 » Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:54 pm

You got to love that patient temperment. My DD bitch has been exposed to dozens if not hundreds of dogs and nipped at many times. Never a snap or fight from her, until recently. Push buttons and it will come. Her sire was the same. 90lb pussycat. Warnings were given-watch your dog. Hes agitating. Next thing you know, Dead dog.
Cant say they werent warned. When it comes, it comes hard.
Like terry said, work on the pointing(quail) and you wont have a run off problem! Your Dales might make good field trial dogs!! So much for cooperation! I know its what you breed for and need for hunting, so dont take it personally. But curious, does a boar dog need to run that far off?
The hunting I did, those dogs would go off a few miles in the valley and then call it quits by the end of the day-off to main camp-good homing instinct. Tried to pick up 2 dogs and they wouldnt have it. This was rugged hill county in NC, Nantahala Natl. Forest, hunting bear and boar. Saw my 1st bear. Didnt realize how fast they were. Like a black greyhound running over top a hill. Too fast for me to get a shot off, but bagged a nice 1 eared boar. This was many moons ago. Got a nice mount on the wall, and watched some good dog work.
bill10979
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:23 pm

Here is a satelite piture of the area Bill. The re x is where I picked up Titan. The Blue circle is where Geronimo was Picked up. The red and blue x is where camnp was when they left. The arrow shows the direction they were traveling. The red circle is wheremthe chukar hunter saw them 2 to 3 hrs after they left. That mountain ridge is over 8,000m ft. We were camped about 5,000 ft. It is about 8 miles from camp to the first sighting. They don't usually go this far Bill but it was new country and a good lion area. They may have had a purpose. Just can't say. The wind dried out their back track pretty quick is why they didn't come back I think.

http://members3.boardhost.com/workingai ... 36121.html

hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Helpful I thank you for this contribution. It helped me a lo

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:08 pm

terryg wrote:you're taking showdogs on a yote hunt?????????

Previous

Return to Other Breeds