Dog on the lam

Spaniel breed specific questions. Kennel information requests, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Dog on the lam

Postby Emailed Questions » Sun Nov 02, 2003 8:22 pm

Hi, How are you?
I'm having a frusterating problem with my 4 year old French Pointing Spaniel. At least 2 or 3 times per hunt he goes on the lam, I can hear his bell jingling in the distance, I call his name, toot my whistle until I turn red. He completely ignores me until i go get him myself (Find Him!!) and give him a correction. I make sure not to correct him when he comes on his own to not give him the wrong message. He seems to be in his own little world hunting for himself. After the correction, he straightens out his act for a good while. It takes about 4 or 5 minutes for him to come back if i dont go get him and he's pooped, out of breath, and god knows how many birds he's bumped. He's a great hunting dog, (He's proved it to me in the past) but I'm tired of hunting for my dog.
I'd appreciate your suggestions.

Thanx
Stephen
This post was posted by the Administator of Versatiledogs from an emailed question. The originator of this question will be sent the URL so they may engage in the discussion. Please respond directly to this post, do not send a private message to this ID.
Emailed Questions
Started
Started

Return to Spaniels