American Water Spaniels ?

Spaniel breed specific questions. Kennel information requests, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

American Water Spaniels ?

Postby R_Man » Sat Oct 12, 2002 2:44 pm

Anyone have any experience w/ these dogs? I do mostly waterfowl and pheasant hunting in south-central Idaho. The thing that appeals to me is not having a dog the size of half-track around the house: chief-of-staff (aka wife) wasn't too thrilled w/ the last Cheasapeake the size of a small grizzly bear.
R_Man
Started
Started

Postby papaQbare » Sun Mar 09, 2003 7:32 pm

i just got a AWS for my self and plan to use her for waterfowl hunting the size was 1 of the reasons for getting my AWS
papaQbare

Postby Brown Dog » Sun Mar 09, 2003 9:23 pm

Interesting breed. They appear to be relatively rare. The only place I’ve ever seen one was at a dog show. With such a limited gene pool, how well has its hunting traits been preserved by breeders? What type of waterfowl hunting do you plan to do with it? Can it handle retrieving geese?
Brown Dog
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby gohntng » Mon Mar 10, 2003 4:22 am

R_Man
What part of Idaho, I'm in Twin Falls. I hunt the Snake River and the creeks dumping into it.
I've owned Labs , GSP, and now GWP's. Are you after a flushing dog, for the pheasants, or just want a different type or breed, than what's around here?
There are several different Spaniels, and they are very good hunters, house dogs.
Just curious!! :)
gohntng
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

GoinHntg: I'm in Twin also.

Postby R_Man » Mon Mar 10, 2003 8:28 am

I'm in Twin too. I pretty much hunt the same things you do: I'm looking for chukars in the South Hills, but have not found very many. How about you?
R_Man
Started
Started

PapaQbare: Where did you get your dog?

Postby R_Man » Mon Mar 10, 2003 8:32 am

Where did you get your dog? Have you had an AWS before? I'm a little concerned that the coat might catch a lot of burrs in uplands, but that is a minor concern. Any info would be helpful.
R_Man
Started
Started

Postby Crazy Horse » Tue Nov 04, 2003 11:01 am

I have a (retired) AWS. She's almost 13 and is just too old to gun over. One eye blind and this year I think she had a stroke. For 12 years she was a great Pheasant Flusher and duck retriver.
I chose her (AWS) because I wanted a dog that would be a house hold member and not as big (45 Lb.) as a lab. Believe me she could swim with the best of them. The cold NEVER bothered her. She would root out birds in the thickest Multi floral Rose thickets. Best of all, she hunted close to me.

I don't do much duck hunting anymore and now I have a French Britt. Should I ever go back to Duck hunting I would only chose one breed. AWS!!!
Crazy Horse

Postby easterngray » Wed Dec 31, 2003 11:45 am

Last edited by easterngray on Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
easterngray

Postby easterngray » Fri Feb 06, 2004 8:22 am

easterngray

Postby easterngray » Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:42 pm

Image[/i]
easterngray

Re: American Water Spaniels & IWS?

Postby ccccrnr » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:19 pm

Does anyone know if American WS or the Irish WS can stop on point?

Basicly I'm asking do those Water Spaniels always charge in on whatever they find?
I've found hunting or hiking in the woods that a dog on point can be useful if a snake or varmint is around, where a dog that always rushes in could get hurt or get me hurt.

Also any other advice about Irish or American Water Spaniels would be great. I looking for a close working land or water dog about to do lots of waterfowling buy I also like a point(especially on 3 legs).
I'm kind of excluding pointing labs because I'd prefer the bidibility of a dog breeding to type.
ccccrnr
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: American Water Spaniels & IWS?

Postby crackerd » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:33 am

ccccrnr wrote:looking for a close working land or water dog about to do lots of waterfowling buy I also like a point(especially on 3 legs).
I'm kind of excluding pointing labs because I'd prefer the bidibility of a dog breeding to type.

May want to recalibrate. "A dog breeding to type" for an AWS is a flushing dog that retrieves. For an Irish Water Spaniel, it's a retriever that also flushes. Neither are pointers by type or by AKC classification, though any dog can be "taught" to point (i.e.,stand game).

Boykins--another (superior :wink: ) flushing retriever/retrieving flusher--
are a lot easier to locate in your vicinity, but if you want to know more about AWS, go here and query "Merrymaker," who hails from Rocky Top and got an AWS pup from an upstanding breeder going by "Muddyboots" on that board. They can enlighten you further.

MG
crackerd
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: American Water Spaniels ?

Postby Cora's Shadow » Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:53 pm

I just received my latest issue of Today's Breeder from the folks at Purina and was a little surprised to see an American Water Spaniel on the cover. We run into a few of these dogs around here (they are the Wisconsin state dog and all), but I never actually get to see them in action. At any rate, the article in the magazine talked about one specific kennel that breeds American Water Spaniels called Little Brownies Kennel. The owner of the kennel has written a couple books about training spaniels and it appears that they try to maintain field ability in every breeding. You can check out their kennel website at http://www.littlebrownieskennel.com/.

Also, in regards to your question about pointing, AWS are definitely not pointers. But the owner of that Little Brownies kennel was saying in the article that AWS have a much softer flush than most other spaniel breeds. He said that they will still flush anything, but they don't dive in with the reckless abandon of other flushing breeds.

I also agree with what crackerd said. If you like AWS, definitely check out Boykin Spaniels as well. Those are some serious little birddogs.
Deutsch Langhaars vom Coraschatten
http://www.coraschatten.com
www.facebook.com/coraschatten

Deutsch Langhaar-Gruppe Nordamerika
http://www.dl-gna.org
Cora's Shadow
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Spaniels