FYI, a new dog

Spaniel breed specific questions. Kennel information requests, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

FYI, a new dog

Postby thunderchicken » Tue Aug 19, 2003 4:05 pm

Don't think many of the usual poster's ever scroll down to the lowly Spaniel threads. But I wanted to post that I brought a new pup home 4 weeks ago. Since that time I've introduced her to water, cover, birds and gunfire. I am working on some commands, her name (Maddie), NO, come here, and sit. She seems to respond better with the whistle than my voice. So far I have had a ball, and she seems to be having one too. When I first introduced her to birds I left a chukar in the weeds, when she got downwind of the bird she turned and followed it back. After barking at the dead bird she jumped on in and tried to drag it out by the wing. She is only 11 wks old and the chukar is still a little to big. I have also allowed her to chase chukar around the yard and in cover. She isn't from titled parents but a couple generations back there are some, she is field bred all the way and I hope that she turns out in spite of me.
thunderchicken
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Chuck » Wed Aug 20, 2003 1:16 pm

TC,

I don't post on this site very often but I always manage to scroll down to the lowly spaniel threads. Congrats on the new pup I think you will really enjoy hunting behind her. I'm getting a new addition this weekend and am looking forward whole puppy hood deal. I prefer the Boykin flavor but I see a lot of similarities between them and the field bred Springers. I'll post up on my progress periodically.

Charley
Shoot where they're goin not where they've been!
Chuck
Started
Started

Postby stephen brown » Wed Aug 20, 2003 3:01 pm

Congrats and good luck on your new pups, Gents.
stephen brown
Started
Started

Postby thunderchicken » Thu Aug 21, 2003 1:40 pm

Thanks for the encouragement, and Good luck to you Chuck.
thunderchicken
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby thunderchicken » Sun Aug 24, 2003 4:58 pm

Just a note to brag a little. Had Maddie out the other evening and I planted a Chukar in the field for her to find. I was a little apprehensive about doing this at such a young age, 11 wks, she seems a little timid at times and head strong at other times. She winded the bird about 29 yds away, zeroed in and stopped about two yards short of where the bird was planted. She was looking saw movement and went to flush, at the sound of wing beats she looked a little startled, but as soon as she saw the bird she was in hot pursuit. Being penned raised the bird didn't fly very far, 40 yds or so, and then hit the ground running. She gave chase and finally pinned the bird, I don't know who was more excited my daughter who went along or Maddie.

On another note had my daughter out shooting today in preperation for dove season. She has been struggling hitting the clays, but not today. She was absolutely beaming when we were finished.
thunderchicken
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Chuck » Mon Aug 25, 2003 1:20 pm

TC,

I picked up my little girl yesterday and she's already showing strong retrieving desire - she will pick up anything I throw and prance around proudly with it in her mouth and she even comes back to me with it. She seems a little timid now that she's not around her litter mates - so first off I'll be working on building her confidence. I plan work on some basic obedience but mainly want to let her be a puppy for the first few months. I'll also be introducing her to water while it is still warm and the occasional fresh bird wing I manage to get.

We are still trying to figure out what to call her and can't seem to come up with something the whole family can live with. I may be playing the head of household trump card tonight because I'm getting tired of "hey you".

Charley
Chuck
Started
Started

Postby Chuck » Tue Aug 26, 2003 11:37 am

TC,

Well it looks like her name is going to be Dixie. I think it has a good ring to it and the wife and kids like it.

C
Chuck
Started
Started

Postby Hank » Tue Aug 26, 2003 2:46 pm

Congrats on the pup TC. What kind of dog did you get?
Hank
bigpharma2002@yahoo.com
Cedarwoods Topaz Dawn (aka Ellie)
Pudelpointer
Hank
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby thunderchicken » Wed Aug 27, 2003 9:06 am

Hank,

Maddie is an English Springer Spaniel, she is not from top thoroughbred breeding though. She is coming along quite nicely, hupping when I blow the whistle, and starting her quartering work now. Retrieves good, but she is still so small at 12 wks that even the two inch puppy dummies are to big, I'm improvising with stuffed socks, and tennis balls with the outer covering removed. She doesn't mouth them but returns them to me, and is beginning to sit when she gets by my side. I chose the line of dog I did because the line is used for personal hunting companions, if all goes well and she continues to improve I plan on some hunt testing with her, there is no FT clubs or dog clubs in general where I am unless you bear or coon hunt.

Chuck,

Dixie works hope you have as much fun as I am.
thunderchicken
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Hank » Wed Aug 27, 2003 9:11 am

Good for you TC. Springers are great dogs. One of my hunting buddies has one and if I hadn't gotten interested in pointers would have probably gotten one myself. Good luck with her.
Hank
bigpharma2002@yahoo.com
Pudelpointer
Hank
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby thunderchicken » Wed Aug 27, 2003 9:17 am

Thanks Hank, I still have Bilie my GSP. Just had a curiousity about spaniels that wouldn't go away, so I got one, so far her willingness to please has made training easy. My GSP is much to independent to have a real willingness to please. I have to make her think that something is her idea for her to do it. Alot like a wife, :lol: But she comes around, unlike a wife.
thunderchicken
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Hank » Wed Aug 27, 2003 7:44 pm

I think you'll continue to be happy with her TC. My buddies Springer is one of the most obedient dogs I've ever met. She's always willing to please!
Hank
bigpharma2002@yahoo.com
Pudelpointer
Hank
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Joe C. » Tue May 08, 2007 5:39 pm

Hey Thunderchicken what part of WV do you hail from? I saw one of the references to the "lowly Spaniel threads". I'm looking for a close hunting companion that will do here in the mountain state, and am leaning towards the French Brittany, (EB). They're considered a Spaniel by some, but they're a pointer rather than a flusher. Any knowlege of the breed or thoughts on them?
Joe C.
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby CherrystoneWeims » Tue May 08, 2007 9:44 pm

Hey Joe. I have seen some of your posts looking for a French Brittany. I have a friend that can point you in the right direction in finding one. He knows of some really good lines and has trained several for people.

I used to live in Huntington. Got my first Weim when I lived there!
CherrystoneWeims
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby soundman » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:46 am

I take offense to the term "lowly Spaniels". :cry: :D IMO, there isn't a better adapted dog to upland game. My ESS will run circles around any lab or pointer put beside him. Has the nose and the birdiness of a great hunting dog. He's 5 and just coming into his prime.
soundman

Return to Spaniels