Some bad luck and help needed.

Spaniel breed specific questions. Kennel information requests, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Some bad luck and help needed.

Postby Batsto » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:26 am

Had some bad luck recently. We had to put down my Springer of 12 yrs. She was a fantastic dog. I also had a deposit down on a Female Boykin Pup, but the potential mom just lost her litter and she's not doing well. Very sad situation for owner. So, I am looking for leads. I live in NJ and will travel(10 hrs) some for a new dog. Thanks!
Batsto
Started
Started

Postby JLBoykin » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:07 am

You might try and send a PM to Crackerd. I think he lives in the northeast and might know of a litter that is available. I will check some other places and post again later. Good luck.
"The thing that sets an American Christian apart from all other people in the world is that he will die on his feet, before he will live on his knees."
JLBoykin
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Thanks!

Postby Batsto » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:51 pm

Thank you for the interest and reply. If I nail something down, I'll post up. Boykins are not well know up here in NJ. My wife and I have owned Springers for over 20 years, but looking for a smaller dog with that "never say die" Spaniel attitude. Everyone tell me great things. I have only seen one at a Duck and Decoy Show and was impressed. Smart and Sharp little dog of about 30 lbs.
Batsto
Started
Started

Postby JLBoykin » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:28 pm

Were you looking at Sunseeker Kennels? There website says that they had a litter planned in April. You might also contact the Boykin Spaniel Society. They should know of some litters that are available.

http://www.boykinspaniel.org/
"The thing that sets an American Christian apart from all other people in the world is that he will die on his feet, before he will live on his knees."
JLBoykin
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby JLBoykin » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:30 pm

http://www.yankeeboykinspaniel.net/

You should also contact these guys, as they are in your neck of the woods.
JLBoykin
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Thanks!

Postby Batsto » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:36 pm

I think I'm good. Found a fellow that's locked and loaded. Just have to get deposit back and we are on the move, which will not be a problem. Thanks for your interest. Never had this type of situation. No one is at fault, just one of those things. The best part of this situation is that things are working out and my wiife is relieved. I thank the good Lord that our kids are healthy. It great to be a hunter with a wife that loves dogs. I hope our Boykin is as good as our Springers. I keep hearing that from wife. Thanks! PS: If you watch Hardball with Chris Mathews look for my Daughter...she a coed Cheerleader for Villanova U. Go Cats Go!!
Batsto
Started
Started

Postby JLBoykin » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:11 pm

If you're getting the dog from a good breeder, you will not be disappointed. Of course I'm partial, but I'm positive you are in for a treat.
JLBoykin
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

I feel like a kid!

Postby Batsto » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:38 pm

That's what I hear and I feel like a youngster with the potential of trying something new. I'll be posting and keeping all dog lovers informed.
Batsto
Started
Started

Postby crackerd » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:10 am

Sorry for your loss, Batso. Never live long enough, if it were to 50 years old.

You said the magic words with "willing to travel 10 hours"--pointing south on 95 from Jersey, that'll put you right in the heart of Boykin country. Mine have all come from the Carolinas--and the best thing is it's an "advance recon" mission before you go back and run the Boykin Nationals some day at Cooper Black WMA in South Carolina.

First call the Boykin Spaniel Society for litters, www.boykinspaniel.org, if you get nothing there, try Rock'n Creek Kennels www.rockncreekkennel.com

I don't say this with a grudge or as a throwaway line: Steer clear of breeders, the few of them, up our way. How far up or how far over--just be advised of the geography.

Anyhow, in a Boykin you're getting a dog that, given you got few ducks, fewer woodcock and no quail left over there, will love to play with Jersey Devils, or any similar species. :lol:

Good luck,

MG
crackerd
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Woodchuck?

Postby Batsto » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:31 pm

Hey, would that be ground hog? My Springers cleared our area of woodchucks and etc over the past 23 yrs. So you have heard of the Jersey Devil. That's good stuff! You should look at the map of Southern NJ. I am orginally from area called Nesco, which is next to Batsto. The Jersey Devil travels in those Pines of South Jersey. Thanks for the tips on the Boykins. My wife and I will be picking Boykin pup up the first week of May. I hope for the best and maybe get another Bokyin or Springer in future since we are empty nesters. Both gals in college and soon on their own.
Batsto
Started
Started

Re: Woodchuck?

Postby crackerd » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:32 am

Batsto wrote:My wife and I will be picking Boykin pup up the first week of May. I hope for the best and maybe get another Bokyin or Springer in future...

Wow, that was quick. Congratulations on finding a pup. Where from? My first Boykin made her first swim at about 8 weeks in the Philly Art Museum fountain (just after it thawed). Into the Schuylkill next. Then she tried Colliers Mills on for size for the rest of her life--the bogs and beaver flowage there must've reminded her of her roots. Anyhow, if you go with a springer for the next one, be aware that some of the top spaniel trainers for trials and tests are just an hour or so away. That also applies to a Boykin, but you've got more options with them given the retriever clubs in Jersey--Navesink, Shrewsbury, Central Jersey, Del Bay (DE-PA-NJ-MD). The latter would welcome you for sure with a Boykin :wink:

Also, just saw the "Dang Yankee Boykin Spaniel Club" that JL pointed you to--great stuff. Had not heard of it, and made my day if in name only. Jersey Boys with their mud poodles, if that don't beat all. Since South Carolina's already claimed the Boykin as its state dog, maybe y'all can trick 'em out to be the state "mascot:"

(Actually, the horns were for picking up the "poison bird" on a blind. Retriever fun.)

Congrats again and tell more how you came by the pup so quickly.

MG
crackerd
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Pup from

Postby Batsto » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:57 pm

the same breeder that lost the litter.(Nickelson Run) He has an older dog that had two by mistake. Orginally, one was spoken for, but he said both are still available for our pick. My wife and I will be going out May 3rd for the dog. Over the past few months I have contacted other Boykin owners in NJ/NY area that have dogs from his Kennel and they absolutely love the dogs. Two hunt and the other is just a companion dog. Three solid refrences seemed good to me. I am sure there is better, but I think things will be cool. I hope my wife likes the pup and wants another. Seems like you know Jersey. Are you a central Jersey guy or a Delaware River Rat?
Batsto
Started
Started

Return to Spaniels