flusher - pointer combo??

Spaniel breed specific questions. Kennel information requests, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

flusher - pointer combo??

Postby Bigshrimp » Tue Jul 29, 2003 5:16 pm

Has anyone used a flusher and pointer together??

In Ontario (as many parts of the U.S.) we have an opportunity to hunt farm fields (longer range), ditches (shorther range) and forest (either) for feather and fur. It would appear to someone that didn't know any better that the skills of both hunting types could be used??

Would it be too difficult to control both??
Bigshrimp
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Jul 30, 2003 7:41 am

I've had two flusher/pointer pairs that I've worked together, with the flushers hupping/sitting while the pointing dog's birds are shot and retrieved, and the pointing dog stopping to flight while the flusher handled its birds.

Can't honestly say it we shot appreciably more birds with the dual ground coverage and can say that dividing my attentions kept me from really enjoying either dog's work. Much rather hunt them seperately as cover or whim suggests.
Rick Hall
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

2nd the motion

Postby Shawn » Wed Jul 30, 2003 8:33 am

I vote to hunt them separately as well. I think all involved with be happier, the hunter and the dogs. Each style has its own pleasures; why not just enjoy each one to the fullest. Plus it would be a real handful to keep track of all the action not to mention the remedial training it might require.

I’ve hunted with three of my own springers on the ground at the same time and that my friend is a serious 3 ring circus.
Shawn
Started
Started

Return to Spaniels