Boykin for me?

Spaniel breed specific questions. Kennel information requests, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Boykin for me?

Postby snicklefritz » Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:08 pm

Hey, all you spaniel types. I have an evil scheme in mind that I hope will get my wife involved in field dogs. :twisted: :wink:

I currently own a Chessie that loves my wife as much as she loves him. This was surprise to her because she was a bit fearful of how well she could manage a large breed dog. But, she manages my chessie beautifully and they are great companions.

Now, a couple of months ago she mentioned she might like to have a Chocolate Lab. Well, I think Labs are great dogs, but....they're not as laid back as Chessies and just as big. It seems a couple of weeks later I went to a local hunt test and was terribly impressed with a great little Boykin pup - God what heart he had. So, the next day, I just happened to take my wife along and just happened to introduce her to the Boykin pup.

My wife had cockers in her youth and you could see the tears in her eyes as she petted the Boykin. She hasn't said much since then, but I'm sure I can bring home a Boykin and still remain married if I'm careful :lol: :lol: I might even get her to learn to handle a field dog :!:

But, before I do that, I would like the opinion of those who are familiar with Boykins and whether they are a good fit with Chessies. Both dogs would be home companions as well as field dogs.

I'm aware that part of the Boykin heritage comes from Chessies, but is this a good pair or not?

Snick
"When the sh*t hits the fan, you will not rise to the occasion. You will fight the way you trained."
snicklefritz
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby crackerd » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:07 am

"All you spaniel types" seems to have a small census hereabouts. Especially when it comes to Boykins, which are predominantly retrievers in their work anyhow. But sure, a curly brown mudpuppy makes a nice not-so-mismatched pair with a Chessie. Breed health's improving all the while with better breeding standards for clearances, especially hips, and many Boykins live 14-15 years. They're little dogs that play as big as their heart.
But if your wife's tearing up at the touch, you ought to fret about what happens to her should y'all welcome what may be the most companionable canine of all.

MG
crackerd
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby snicklefritz » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:13 am

Thanks crackerd, I was hoping to hear that. As for the wife, well she says my chessie gets more attention than she does. So, turnabout is fair play I guess.

Thanks again.
"When the sh*t hits the fan, you will not rise to the occasion. You will fight the way you trained."
snicklefritz
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Return to Spaniels