How do Spaniels hunt?

Spaniel breed specific questions. Kennel information requests, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Postby Rick Hall » Mon May 26, 2003 9:03 am

TC - I gathered there was a mobilty issue from earlier posting and I just don't see a flusher as being your best recourse - unless you have a strong preference for flushing work on other grounds.

Have PMed you with the most concrete breeder/bloodline suggestion I can offer, but if it got lost in cyber space, the bottom line was to contact Cindy Stahle, who posts on these boards under the kennel name "Honeyrun". Have hunted over two of her GSPs and thought them the kind of comfortable compainions you seem to be seeking, while still having plenty of hunt. And she's close enough to you (PA) that the two of you can likely get together for some show and tell.
Rick Hall
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby stephen brown » Wed May 28, 2003 1:21 pm

Rick, that's the kinda of opining I was thinking of but didn't want to offer due to my lack of pointing dog training. All I've read on pointing dog training centers mostly on genetics for range and pointing. In TC's case I'd look for a short ranging dog that has a lot of point, add field work to staunch the pointing and yard work for basic maners, and you're in business.

I'm not recomending a pointer because they're better, more efficient hunters. I'm recomending them because with the right genetics they're easier to train.

TC, I can tell you my experiences hunting or training Cockers, Springers, and Labs. For the conditions you're hunting, it would take many hours of training.

You'll be training a dog to hunt the cover and area you want hunted, 10 feet to the sides and 6 feet to the front, and enjoying it. They'll range out more when you're hunting but it's easier to let them expand their hunting area than to make a wide ranging dog to work closer. By the way, it's easier to correct/teach a dog that's 10 feet away and not 30.

You'll have to train that game will be in close proximity to you. A dog that learns game is planted out in front will hunt out in front. Plus you want to create a dog that hunts for you.

You'll have to train stopping on a runner. And if you're going thru all this trouble you might as well teach steadiness because steadiness will make stopping the dog on a runner easier.
stephen brown
Started
Started

Postby Birdhunter » Thu Aug 14, 2003 6:33 pm

Just finished watching a show on English Cockers. Neat little dogs. If only I lived in pheasant country. I might buy one for my kids and hunt it.
Birdhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby thunderchicken » Fri Aug 15, 2003 8:06 pm

Just to let everyone know, I bit the bullet and brought home a seven week old ESS about a month ago. Maddie is 11 wks old today, she is doing the play retrieve thing very well, comes to me when called, has been introduced to water, and cover. If you count the baby robin that she chased around the yard then she has been introduced to birds as well :lol: . I'm having a ball and even if she doesn't hunt the kids have a new pet.
thunderchicken
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

New ESS

Postby Shawn » Fri Aug 15, 2003 8:34 pm

Just out of couriosity fill me in on the details.

Who did you buy the dog from?

What dogs and titles are in the pedigree?

Good luck with the pup.

Shawn
Shawn
Started
Started

Postby thunderchicken » Sat Aug 16, 2003 7:23 am

The dog is out of some local stock that are used for hunting. The pedigree had a couple of titled dogs in it but I don't remember who they were right now, my papers aren't back from the AKC yet. I will let you know more when I get the papers back. Like I said in the earlier post right now it is all fun, will start the more serious stuff in a month or so.
thunderchicken
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby thunderchicken » Mon Aug 18, 2003 12:12 pm

Had Maddie out in the brush today, I was tightening up my GSP for the upcoming season and took my lil ESS with me. Maddie was introduced to gunfire and birds today and did really good. She winded the dead bird that I left in the weeds and dove in after it, a chukar is still a little large for a 11 week old pup to properly get a hold of but she drug it out by the wing. I then let her chase a live clipped wing, she had a ball. Hopefully she will turn out in spite of my lack of experience, but right now it is an awful lot of fun.
thunderchicken
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Previous

Return to Spaniels