Pointer man looking at Spaniels

Spaniel breed specific questions. Kennel information requests, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Postby thunderchicken » Thu Apr 17, 2003 12:24 pm

Hink,

Call me ignorant, but what is FF. thanks, I'm going out of town for few days so I'll try to call at the beginning of the week.
thunderchicken
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Chuck » Thu Apr 17, 2003 1:30 pm

Force Fetched
Shoot where they're goin not where they've been!
Chuck
Started
Started

Postby thunderchicken » Thu Apr 17, 2003 1:52 pm

Duh, don't know what I was thinking when I read FF. :oops:
thunderchicken
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Apr 17, 2003 5:10 pm

thunderchicken - Some other flusher guys will want to thump me for this, but I think there's good reason why you don't see many flushers in the WVa grouse woods. Least I never did.

Flushers can be just the ticket where cover's thick at bird and dog interaction level and open at shooting level, but they lose a lot of their appeal for many of us when the cover's thick at shooting level. Then it's generally a whole lot easier to put yourself in position to get a halfway clear shot with a pointing dog. That's especially so when you throw WVa's slopes into the mix. And I'd guess all the more so for a fellow with mobility problems.
Rick Hall
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Pointer man looking at Spaniels

Postby ccccrnr » Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:56 pm

ThunderChicken,

What kind of dog did you choose?
And how has it worked out for you?

Does it point & retrieve?
ccccrnr
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Drahtguy » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:17 pm

I went from a Springer to a Drahthaar. One of the reason i switched to a pointing dog was because I got tired of chasing after the springer when she got onto a bird. I found I had to work harder behind a flusher than a pointer. I'm almost 50 yrs old, so the less walking/running I had to do the better. :wink: The Springer was a bird hunting machine (Pheasants), but when she got scent of a bird, it was off to the chases. At my age, I'll take a Draht anyday.
Drahtguy
Started
Started

Postby langhaar » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:55 am

It's horses for courses here in the UK, if you want a short ranging flusher especially in thick cover you'd have a spaniel. Cockers have never been better and are without doubt exceptional and in their prime over here. I've had some from Larford lines and they are honest and biddable. We don't expect spaniels to work more than 30yds from their handler and always in range of a gun. I'm sure it will turn full circle and springers will come back into fashion. As for the minority spaniel breeds one has to ask why they are, for everyday shooting needs they can't compete on the same terms with the most popular 2. The breed standard has now been changed for the Clumber over here as dogs were too short in the leg, large headed with overweight bodies. There is a small group of enthusiasts who have remained true to original working type but there are very few who are seen regularly in the shooting field. So too Welsh, field and sussex who are seen hardly at all. You can't make a sows purse out of a pigs ear. Why not your US breed of spaniel ?
www.aranykennels.co.uk

German Marmalade with a little English Sauce
langhaar
Started
Started

Postby gopokes » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:23 pm

TC, I had to chuckle at your post about your GWP that worked so deliberately that others took notice, because I want that dog! I like to watch the dogs sort scent out and do their thing, even if it is at a slower pace. My adrenaline rush comes from watching them work in that way. With a faster or at least wider ranging dog, one might not get that quite as much. If you find a dog that pokes around but is still birdy, by all means let me know! I've heard it can be done with almost any breed if you look around long enough, but maybe griffs or spinone give you a higher percentage chance of finding what you're looking for. I've never hunted behind a spaniel, but I have hunted behind labs. If all else fails, get a lab, fatten him up a little, and you ought to be set! :) Good luck!
GP
gopokes
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Dakotazeb » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:48 pm

If you are thinking of a spaniel and still want a close working pointer you might want to consider the French Spaniel. The only breeder in the USA is Paul Fischenich. He has Minnesota French Spaniels by Dodge Center, MN. I had the opportunity to hunt with Paul and his dogs last fall. The French Spaniels are beautiful dogs that look a lot like a Springer with long legs and a long tail. They hunt at a slower pace and stay quite close. Here is Paul's web site:
http://minnesotafrenchspaniels.com/
Janees August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

Godfather's Dakota Elle
1X NSTRA Champion
2008-2016
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5
Dakotazeb
Master Poster
Master Poster

Previous

Return to Spaniels