Getting on some quail

Spaniel breed specific questions. Kennel information requests, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Getting on some quail

Postby tam » Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:15 pm

I'm going to try giving the spaniel forum a little play, since it's lonely here.

I took Winter my Clumber out for a hike today, with no real intention of doing anything but getting some exercise. (Oh my god I'm out of shape!) About 3:30 in the afternoon we were going through a flatter area with clumps of sagebrush, rabbit brush, and a couple of bitterbrush. All of a sudden that little tail starts swingin' and that little droopy dog comes alive ... pounce pounce, flush!

A whole bunch of quail came out of a sagebrush like a bunch of little rockets. This was really the best, hardest flush I've seen out of her. I praised her a whole bunch and sent her off to look for more. Pretty soon I see her wiggling around some rocks, figure she'd ran a bunny down a hole, when pounce... flush! Another, smaller covey shoots out. She isn't steady to flush yet, and she chased a little, but only about 10 yards. But another good, hard flush.

After that I brought her around so we could go through the area into the wind to look for singles. She missed a pair, which I then accidentally flushed. Then she found a single and thrust herself into a matted piece of sagebrush, pushing it out the other side.

We didn't find too many more, but wow it was great... you pointer people always talk about style, blah blah blah. If a Clumber can have style, this was really it. :lol: She is like a different dog around birds, and she looked so happy (which is really quite a feat for a Clumber!)
tam
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby CarsonChris » Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:27 pm

Could you please give me the gps coordinates of that little quail spot? :D
Chukar hunting all day long
CarsonChris
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby tam » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:31 am

LOL, only if you GPS me your chukar spot. :wink:
tam