a new breed

Spaniel breed specific questions. Kennel information requests, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

a new breed

Postby uplander » Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:08 pm

hello, I have in the past had english springer spaniels, and love them, how ever would like a pointer.
I have recently came across the french spaniel but am having trouble finding much info on the breed can any one send me in the right direction?
thank you
uplander

Postby orhunter » Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:05 pm

Go to France..........
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Cora's Shadow » Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:13 pm

Paul Fischenich is the only French Spaniel breeder in the U.S. that I know of. He has been interviewed for articles in several gundog magazines and is probably the best person for you to talk to. There are a few breeders in Canada, but I recommend that you avoid one of those breeders listed on this website at all costs.

Paul can definitely help you out though. I know he has sold a few dogs out west to California and such in the past. Here is his contact information:

Minnesota French Spaniels
Paul Fischenich
Dodge Center, Minnesota 55927
507-635-5306
pkfish@kmtel.com
www.minnesotafrenchspaniels.com

For what its worth, the French Spaniel is recognized as a versatile gundog that is bred to point, track, and retrieve. On this website, the breed is listed under the Pointer section. You may have a few more results for your request for information if you re-post this thread under the "Pointers" thread, not the "Spaniels" thread.
Cora's Shadow
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby uplander » Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:51 pm

thank you for the info, and the contact info.
uplander

Postby chiendog » Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:14 am

I have seen French Spaniels in France and in Quebec. Most were very nice dogs, although, as with any breed, I am sure there are some slugs out there. So be careful, go with proven lines and check references.

The ones I saw in France were running in pretty high level trials and doing quite well. The ones I saw in Quebec were from two of the more well known and successful breeders there.

My impressions:

1. Some of the females are are really, and I mean really, pretty. Males can be quite handsome too but my wife and I actually commented to each other on how pretty the bitches were. We rarely say much about dogs' looks since we mainly concentrate on the way they hunt etc. However in this case, we both just sort of said "wow" when we first saw them.

2. They have lots of hunt and point in them. They are rather setter-ish in their movements, very feline. Most are close to medium workers. The Quebec breeders like closer working dogs for grouse and woodcock hunting in the thick stuff out there. There are some lines that run bigger in France though. One dog I saw there win a trial ran very fast at a decent gun-dog range.

3. The clubs in Quebec and in France seem to be pretty good. They are not dominated by show people as much as some other breed clubs are. There are still quite a few hunters/triallers in the breed. You should be able to find a good breeder and a good dog without too much trouble.

4. Did I mention how pretty some of the bitches are?

I have a few photos of French Spaniels on my site herehttp://craigkoshykphoto.ca/Quebec06.html/ and here http://craigkoshykphoto.ca/springtrials06.html/
chiendog
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: a new breed

Postby Bill in Oregon » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:30 am

Another spaniel I was unaware of. I only recently encountered French Brittanies, and then Braque du Bourbonnaise.
Bill in Oregon
Started
Started

Return to Spaniels