Trainer

Spaniel breed specific questions. Kennel information requests, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Trainer

Postby JLBoykin » Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:28 pm

Has anyone has any luck with a spaniel trainer in Texas? Not really a concern at this point, but I thought I would get some opinions anyway. Thanks,
JL
JLBoykin
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby crackerd » Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:50 pm

Couple things: Texas is a mighty sizable parcel, and somebody best have "luck" if their dog gets sent away to a pro.

If you're wanting the Boykin trained as a flushing spaniel, David "Strong" Jones, of Strong Gundogs, Tivoli, or Martin Bell, Shelmar Kennels in Katy.

As a retriever, Angie Becker, Tioga Retrievers, in Aubrey.

MG
crackerd
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JLBoykin » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:05 am

You're right, you can go a long way and never get out of Texas. I live in West Texas, so everything is a long trip anyway. Thanks for the recommendations.
JLBoykin
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby JLBoykin » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:06 am

One other question Crackerd, what kind of dog is that on your avatar?
JLBoykin
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby crackerd » Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:03 am

Sussex spaniel--which some believe had a little "leg over" action into the Boykin's lineage.

Having both, see it as strong possibility.

Beyond the Chessie, may even be where the Boykin's waterdog ways come from... :wink:

MG
crackerd
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JLBoykin » Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:02 pm

Good looking dog. Aren't they pretty rare in the US? There are some definite similarities in the two. I am really not wanting to take my pup to a trainer, but I thought I would see what was out there. This is my first time training and I'm not going to learn anything, if I pay someone else to train her. I have been progressing pretty well. She will do anything I ask her to, if I have something for her to eat. She is not yet four months and she knows sit, down and is in the process of learning heel. All commands are taught with a "release" command. I have worked some on retrieves, but sometimes she likes to try and keep what she retrieves. Thanks for the help.
JLBoykin
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Return to Spaniels