New Clumber pup!

Spaniel breed specific questions. Kennel information requests, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

New Clumber pup!

Postby tam » Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:09 am

My new pup arrived yesterday. The flight went smooth and she managed to "hold it" for 10+ hours. She's almost 11 weeks old. :D
Image[/img]
tam
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby teach101 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:47 pm

Nice looking pup!
teach101

Postby tam » Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:57 am

Thanks, teach101!

She's getting her hup down, and come as well. Growing so fast... She's smart and she'll try to be sneaky about things. Like I tell her NO! and get her off of chewing the bookcase, then she'll go get a toy and chew on it for a second. Then she takes the toy over to the bookcase, lays down next to it, and chews on the toy a few more seconds, then "migrates" to chewing on the bookcase again. Argh!

tam
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby teach101 » Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:00 pm

So, what's the hunting plan with this pup? Fur...feather? I have long been a big fan of the Clumber. While I hunt only Quail here in central Oklahoma, I would one day like to obtain a Clumber. I'm hunting behind a Red Setter right now.
teach101

Postby tam » Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:27 pm

The plan is fur and feather both. My most frequent hunting opportunities are for cottontail and quail, so that will probably be the bulk of it. However, I also hunt grouse and chukar, and sometimes jumpshoot ducks (I'm not a big fan of freezing my rear in a duck blind). The grouse especially are in really thick, nasty cover. Finding a downed one can be next to impossible without a dog. I'd really like to hunt pheasants, but we don't have many here.

So that's the plan anyway. :wink: She's starting to show a pretty good willingness to crawl and plow her way into brush to investigate. What's sort of funny and (perhaps?) a bit odd is that when her nose is down on the ground, she acts (is?) practically blind. She's banged her head on the bottom rail of the gate twice pretty bad already, and once flushed a rabbit, but didn't see it bolt.
tam
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby terryg » Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:17 pm

great looking pup tam. i have always liked this breed but with the rarity and the hip problems just never saw many to check out.

keep an extensive digital running diary and put the date stamp on the pix as they will be very valuable 2 years from know.

keep us posted!
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand guard around the world ready to do violence on their behalf!
terryg
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Spaniels