Boykin Breeders

Spaniel breed specific questions. Kennel information requests, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Boykin Breeders

Postby youngbuck_13 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:42 pm

Hey everyone,
My name is Jake I am a 21 year old college student, just finishing up my studies. I am new to the site but have often visited as a guest, while doing some research. Anyways let me cut to the chase, I have been strongly considering getting myself a good hunting dog for a long time now. I haven't pulled the trigger yet because when I was in high school my father bought me a Britt and I was no where near ready for that kind of responsibility and time commitment. So this time around I have been patiently waiting and planning for the right time to get myself a new pup, and now feels like that time. So the reason I am interested in a Boykin is that one side of my family are very big into waterfowl hunting and all have Labs. The other side are pheasant hunters and all have Britts so I'm looking to meet in the middle and have a dog that I can take on both hunts. I know Labs are very versatile but I do not have the space for 75-100lb dog. I am from Iowa and willing to travel almost anywhere in the midwest, but I am still having trouble finding a breeder near me. If anyone can steer me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it. Also if anyone has anyone information I may need to know about Boykins or maybe even another breed I may want to consider, I am all ears. Thank you very much for your help and any help I may receive in the future.

Thanks,
Jake
Last edited by youngbuck_13 on Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
youngbuck_13
Pup
Pup

Re: Boykin Breeders

Postby blue04 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:33 pm

I would get the best pup you can find, regardless of the location. Whatever time and money you spend traveling to get your pup is small in comparison to the value you will get over the pup's lifetime with a good dog.

My impression is that Boykins are more prevalent in the southeast US. You may have to make a long drive to get a good pup, but it will be worth it in the long run.
blue04
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Boykin Breeders

Postby lanco » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:49 am

The purchase price of a dog is the absolute least realavant part of owning a working dog. Dogs cost money and working dogs get hurt fairly often so you need to have enough scratch to cover a corneal abrasion, argument with a barbed wire fence and such. Thus if $100 is make or break for you you may not be at the point in life that this is a good idea. That said although you live in apparently the only state without a Boykin breeder there should be some in driving distance in this list :
http://www.gundogbreeders.com/breeders- ... ers_1.html
When buying a Boykin OFA numbers for parents and grand parents are very important. Twenty years ago I would have said that was almost the only consideration since 85% of them hunted. Now however there are lots of beauty pagent and even a few puppy mill breeders turning them out so either the ability to see the parents work on at least a dead bird or hunt test certification would be best. If you PM Crackerd he may have leads for you. Good luck!
lanco
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Spaniels