Boykin or Springer

Spaniel breed specific questions. Kennel information requests, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Boykin or Springer

Postby hunter474 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:40 pm

Hey Guys, I'm new to this site. I've been doing a ton of research and I have narrowed my search for a bird dog down to the Boykin Spaniel and the Springer Spaniel. I'm from Northern Wisconsin, so I've grown up hunting grouse (never behind a dog). From what I've read a lot of guys use their boykins mainly as retrievers, but I'd like something to quarter and flush. I mainly hunt grouse, but I also love to hunt waterfowl (mainly ducks), and plan to go out west hunting pheasants. I checked out a boykin breeder and his dogs were amazing. They were retrieving machines, my only concern is that they were pretty small (I'd say cocker size) and had fairly short legs. For those of you who have hunter with grouse dogs is do larger dogs or smaller dogs work better? Some of the cover I hunt can get pretty thick. I'm also not wanting to be sprinting behind my dog either while hunting birds, which comes down to training. Which breed do you think would match me best?
hunter474
Pup
Pup

Re: Boykin or Springer

Postby lanco » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:13 pm

Hopefully Crackerd will scan down here (or u can send him a PM) and comment since his experience is greater than mine. I think if this is your first hunting dog a Boykin would be a great way to go. They are good dogs in heavy cover and can often go under where larger dogs have to struggle over or through the thick stuff. They are generally more powerfully built than an English cocker and can power through when needed. That said if you do your homework and get a dog from hunting lines of either breed with proper health certifications you will be well on your way. Plenty of boykins compete in flushing dog hunt test and those "gundog challenge" type timed events and do well. If you want a third flushing option that brings a little more size coat and fur ability you could investigate a Deutscher Wachtelhund.
lanco
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Spaniels