Field Spaniel

Spaniel breed specific questions. Kennel information requests, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Field Spaniel

Postby NavarreBlue » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:33 pm

Met a lovely brown Field Spaniel out of Wisconsin on the street the other day. Can anyone tell me what Field Spaniels are like, especially compared to Boykins or Springers. I don't really know anything about spaniels so apologies if this is a very silly question.
NavarreBlue
Pup
Pup

Re: Field Spaniel

Postby lanco » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:31 am

As far as I know there are basically 0 hunting field spaniels out there. I would stick with a FT line Springer or english cocker or a Boykin with OFA normal parents and grand parents and hunting parents. Those three options give you the best chance of a good working spaniel. Or if you want the V-dog of spanieldom (sorry Wolfgang I know technichaly they are Stoebers) you could check out a wachtelhund.
lanco
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby lanco » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:43 am

Yeah double checked and here are the results of my informal study, although there are a few FS who enter the AKC spaniel hunt tests there were no breeders who had real (wild bird) hunting pics. Also 100% of the breeders headlined thier sites with dogs prancing in the show ring. The field spaniel is in many ways just a construct cobbled together to win dog shows. Today they perist because they are easier to put silly show ribbons on since the competition is limited. I am sure a few do hut well but deifinitely not a safe bet for a hunter.
lanco
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby NavarreBlue » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:15 pm

That is what I figured but I wanted to check. Thanks!
NavarreBlue
Pup
Pup

Return to Spaniels