Boykin Spaniel

Spaniel breed specific questions. Kennel information requests, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Boykin Spaniel

Postby JTracyII » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:47 am

I went with a buddy to take a look at a litter of Boykins yesterday. He is seriously thinking about getting a puppy. He has never had a hunting dog before and so is very inexperienced. I have more experience with pointing breeds, but I was impressed with the drive to retrieve by these little dogs yesterday. Pretty intense and seemed to absolutely love retrieving. I have a few questions about this breed from those experienced with it. The puppies seemed to have a range of coats from curly to almost smooth/slick. The coat on the smooth dogs may come in more fully later. I am not sure. Is there a preference for the type of coat when it comes to cold water hunting/ upland hunting? What about training these little guys. Suggestions? I know to allow the dog to be a puppy for a while, but I also know that many retriever folks prefer to start serious training earlier than most pointing dogs folks. What is a general timeline for starting different commands sit, fetch, heel, and FF'ing? I know it depends on the dog, etc. Just give me an idea as to when most Boykin owners start this stuff? When did you start? Can they handle much pressure? What training methods seem to work best for you? Good books/DVD's that you would recommend on training the Boykin? This dog will primarily be used for ducks in ponds and lakes as well as some upland game? (dove, quail, pheasant) Thanks for your help/suggestions in advance.
JTracyII
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Boykin Spaniel

Postby JTracyII » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:48 pm

Well I just talked to my buddy and he bought one of the boykin pups this morning so scratch the questions about coat type, etc. I would still appreciate information on the training/temperament aspects of this breed. Thanks again.
JTracyII
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AzHusker » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:19 pm

He'll be along...but search for "crackerd" - check out his posts and pics - he has Boykins. They are awesome little dogs. Tell your friend congrats - he made a great choice.
AzHusker
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby K Locke » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:17 am

I'm the friend Jack is referring to. She is a good looking and high energy pup. I'm looking forward to years of good times in the field.
K Locke
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby JTracyII » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:06 am

It is good to see that you joined. There are a lot of knowledgeable folks here that can be a big help in helping train your pup. Welcome to the forum.
JTracyII
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby suDDs » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:01 pm

Congrats on your new pup and welcome. Post pictures! :D
suDDs
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Steve S » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:42 pm

Kyle,

Welcome aboard. I look forward to hearing and seeing your dog in action in the coming year. I told Jack we all need to get together again. I enjoyed duck hunting with you young bucks. -- Steve
Steve Slauson
Lindale, Texas
580-919-8454

County Line Kennels
http://hungarianwirehairedvizslas.com
Zoldmali Abel “Cash” – FIRST NAVHDA UT Prized HWV in USA
NAVHDA Apprentice Judge
TX-NAVHDA President

"Nose, Desire, Stamina, Cooperation and Obedience all for the Purpose of Producing Game" -- NAVHDA

"Lead, Follow or Get out of the Way." -- Thomas Paine
Steve S
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Coopdvlle » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:22 pm

JTracyII wrote:It is good to see that you joined. There are a lot of knowledgeable folks here that can be a big help in helping train your pup. Welcome to the forum.

I see you are in OK, was the Boykin litter in OK? Frontier Retrievers?
Coopdvlle
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby crackerd » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:11 am

Steve S wrote:Kyle,

Welcome aboard. I look forward to hearing and seeing your dog in action in the coming year. I told Jack we all need to get together again. I enjoyed duck hunting with you young bucks. -- Steve

Kyle, if Steve' here's welcoming you and offering thanks to you and Jack (jtracyII?) for taking him duck hunting, that means you really need to get the bug with that Boykin for retriever training. There are a number of Hunting Retriever Club (HRC) clubs in your vicinity and you can help yourself to great advantage by throwing in with that outfit. And take jtracyII along to the training days and hunt tests - the seduction, such as it is, bringing him to a conclusion that he'll have a Boykin of his own before long.

I told jtracyII that you need to get Mike Lardy's Volume 1 of articles he wrote for Retriever Journal over the years as primo training material, and you can also study his flow chart http://www.totalretriever.com/index.php ... Itemid=102 for the sequential tack of retriever training. Lot of it won't mean anything to you right now, but as you get into the training with a club or training group (another adamant piece of advice for you), you'll understand how it's all part of a program that produces a finished retriever.

Good luck and congrats on getting the lil'est retriever - whose abiding MO is

"Ain't the size of the dog in the fight, but size of the fight in the dog."

MG
crackerd
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby K Locke » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:18 pm

Thanks for the info. I've been reading a lot and watched a video. I read a book of the first year of training and I'm more confused then ever. Do this but don't do this. It's hard to keep track of everything. I got in in the field a week and and introducted her to quail. She got a big kick out it. If I can get through this puppy stage, I think I will like this dog. Steve, I had a great time hunting ducks with you. It was fun watching you dog work. I'd like to see more of what she can do. We need to make plans next fall. I will post a pic of Lilly if I can figure out how. Kyle
K Locke
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby K Locke » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:31 pm

I'm trying to upload a picture. Not sure if it will work.
Attachments
Boykin.JPG
Lilly
K Locke
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby JTracyII » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:57 pm

Kyle,
Every time I see your pup it makes me wonder if I should have one of my own. Great lookin pup. I am looking forward to next hunting season and shooting a few ducks for her to retrieve. :D
JTracyII
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Spaniels