O.K., so about Boykin Spaniels?

Spaniel breed specific questions. Kennel information requests, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Postby hunter94 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:01 pm

crackerd wrote:If you can get OFA done for $50, the clinic must be accepting Confederate money. Usually the cost is about what you're paying for PennHip. If the dog's getting x-rayed for that low cost, must mean the vet's not anesthetizing the dog, which means you may well get a poor reading/rating because the dog's not still for the camera. You also might want to contact the Boykin Spaniel Society and see what kind of rebate they're offering (if the offer still exists) for OFAing your dog.

MG

ok, here is your solution to the problem.....have a certified PennHIP vet (there is a list on their website of vets certified to take the radiographs) take the x-rays (3) of your dog (he will be under anesthesia), and ask for an extra copy of the "extended view" (the only one the OFA reads) and tell him it will be for submission to OFA for grading (they understand and get this request all the time; he will charge you an extra $30-$50 for the extra copy).
The PenHIP vet will mail your copies off to PennHIP for evaluation and give you the extra copy to submit to OFA.
Mail it in with complete pedigree of your dog and $35 which will get you a certificate for hips and elbows and your dogs' name and results entered into the OFA data bse. Be sure to tell your vet you want hips and elbows evaluated (might as well do both).

There are vets who will take the OFA x-ray while the dog is fully awake, but it is kind of ludicrous considering it is likely there will be movement and the resulting poor radiograph.

good luck, definitely worth the money, especially if you are considering breeding...either way, you do your breeder a favor by sharing the results, which will give him/her valuable feedback reagrding their own breeding program..........

hunter94
read, listen, learn
hunter94
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby JLBoykin » Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:57 am

Crackerd,
It's always possible that the receptionist I talked to didn't have any idea what she was talking about on the cost of the OFA. I didn't know who she was, so I'm guessing she was new to the clinic.

Hunter,
I was really leaning toward PennHip, but would like to get the OFA done just because BSS promotes it. Isn't PennHip supposed to be pretty accurate, if the dog is over 6 months old? I think I read it on their website.

Thanks for everyone's help,
JL
JLBoykin
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby hunter94 » Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:27 pm

JLBoykin wrote:Crackerd,
It's always possible that the receptionist I talked to didn't have any idea what she was talking about on the cost of the OFA. I didn't know who she was, so I'm guessing she was new to the clinic.

Hunter,
I was really leaning toward PennHip, but would like to get the OFA done just because BSS promotes it. Isn't PennHip supposed to be pretty accurate, if the dog is over 6 months old? I think I read it on their website.

Thanks for everyone's help,
JL

JL-

yes, check their website, i think it is around 6 months (can't remember) at the earliest you can get the evaluation completed.......but then when the dog is 2 years old, better get the OFA rating as well......

you might check the OFA website too, seems as though they too now have come up with a "competitive test" (imagine that?) to rival what PennHIP has been doing for years, applicable to a young dog under the age of 2 years ....could be wrong, but think i saw something about it when i recently browsed their website.....

hunter94
read, listen, learn
hunter94
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby CherrystoneWeims » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:25 am

OK on Friday my friend was charged $265 for Pennhip and elbow xrays plus she has to send $35 to OFA for them to read the elbow and OFA view. She had both OFA and Pennhip views done.

This was done in SC. Other areas will vary.

Pam
CherrystoneWeims
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Previous

Return to Spaniels