O.K., so about Boykin Spaniels?

Spaniel breed specific questions. Kennel information requests, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

O.K., so about Boykin Spaniels?

Postby R_Man » Sun Oct 27, 2002 9:13 pm

O.K.,O.K., I can hardly respond to all the replies about Am. Water Spaniels, so how about Boykins? I haven't seen one but understand they have a fairly high incidence of hip dysplasia: that seems odd for a smaller hunting dog. I've also heard that some consider them a little small for serious waterfowling. I won't be hunting in the pounding Pacific surf or anything, but I will be hunting in the often cold Snake River in south-central Idaho. So how about it? All you Boykin fans and detracters, tell me what you like or don't like.
R_Man
Started
Started

Postby Hank » Wed Oct 30, 2002 3:27 pm

I know you're interested in getting a smaller dog but I don't know of anybody that has had much success hunting waterfowl in cold weather with a spaniel and I know a few that tried. Since you live in Idaho did you ever consider checking out Bob Farris's Pudelpointer's in Boise (www.cedarwoodgundogs.com)? They're not small- about 50lbs-60lbs- but they aren't quite as big as a chessie either. You may have to compromise here (or get your wife to).

However, if you have your heart set on a spaniel an American Water Spaniel may be your only option if you can find a decent breeder. My Uncle used to have one and their coat is pretty impervious to the cold.

Good luck on whatever you decide.
Hank
bigpharma2002@yahoo.com
Cedarwoods Topaz Dawn (aka Ellie)
Pudelpointer
Hank
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby R_Man » Thu Oct 31, 2002 8:39 am

Hank:
A friend of mine had one and yes, he was a good water dog. He got his dog from Bob Farris but he was hardly a medium size dog: he was close to 90lbs! My friend said he was big for the breed but he was taller than my chessie and weighed almost as much. My friend and I were cleaning ducks and his dog was running around my place and my wife said, "nice dog, but too big for the house". My duck boat isn't very big and I'm getting fatter so I've decided to get a smaller dog this time, and, since I hunt mostly pheasants for upland birds, I tend to favor a flushing dog. I was thinking of a smaller retriever that had a good nose for the uplands. I might get a springer and get a neoprene vest for him/her but I was thinking about a dog with a better water repelling coat, hence, the interest in American Waters and Boykins.
R_Man
Started
Started

Postby Hank » Thu Oct 31, 2002 12:54 pm

Wow, 90lbs is pretty big for a PP! I don't have mine yet so I don't know what to expect from them size wise. Fortunately, a large dog is no problem for me if I get a large one.

A friend of mine got a springer a few years ago with the intention of getting a small dog that could flush and retieve from water, just as you want. The dog is a real sweet heart and I like her so much I considered getting a springer myself. The only problem is that I don't think she can take the frigid waters this time of year and I noticed that my buddy never takes her duck hunting like he'd planned. I never grilled him on why not but will see him at hunting camp this weekend and ask him about it. I do know she does very well on pheasent.

My Uncle owned his American Water Spaniel when I was a little kid so I don't remember much about it. He did do a lot of duck hunting back then and claims the dog was an excellent retriever in water. I don't know how the dog would be on upland birds. I looked at them myself before deciding on a PP but they are so rare it's hard to get accurate info. on their hunting abilities. Wisconsin seems to be where most of the breeders are located since it is the state dog.
Hank
bigpharma2002@yahoo.com
Cedarwoods Topaz Dawn (aka Ellie)
Pudelpointer
Hank
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby fattire » Mon Feb 24, 2003 4:21 pm

The Small Mustlander might be a good dog for you do some research and check them out.

Springer’s, American Water Spaniels and Boykin’s are all great dogs.

Check out different breeders I would think you could find a female lab around sixty pounds or a female PP from Cedar wood or a GWP from Three Devils at around sixty pounds, I used to hunt the Boise river and my buddy had a Springer did great, but if you hunt the snake a lot I would think you would want a sixty pounds dog at least. Good luck

I live in Colorado now, I miss all the water up in Idaho.
Hunting without a dog is just shooting.
fattire
Started
Started

Postby Chuck » Wed Feb 26, 2003 1:27 pm

Rman,

This is my fist post here but I figured I'd chime in since I've got a Boykin (large male tipping the scales at 43lbs). He's not an ice busting Chesapeake but he handles the cold well. I think your wife will be most pleased with their size and demeanor in the house. Most of my hunting is in the southeast but I do occasionally hunt him in cold water/weather. In those cases I've used a neoprene vest and he's never had a problem. He is an excellent retriever - even fur. I duck hunt 3-4 days a week during the season and he thrives on it. He also has an excellent nose and drive on upland birds. IMHO the dove field is where the Boykin has no rival. The only problem I've experienced is with land retrieves on greater Canadian's (a ~15 lb bird on dry land is a little much for him-but he does fetch them in the water) but I don't think any of the smaller breeds are going to work well for goose hunting. Find a good breeder (check OFA & CERF).

Chuck
Shoot where they're goin not where they've been!
Chuck
Started
Started

test

Postby Shawn » Tue Sep 23, 2003 4:54 pm

test time
Shawn
Started
Started

Postby Chuck » Wed Sep 24, 2003 8:56 am

Huh :?:
Shoot where they're goin not where they've been!
Chuck
Started
Started

Re: O.K., so about Boykin Spaniels?

Postby CherrystoneWeims » Thu May 04, 2006 11:43 am

R_Man wrote:O.K.,how about Boykins? I haven't seen one but understand they have a fairly high incidence of hip dysplasia:

Even though I am a Weimaraner breeder I can answer your question about HD in Boykins. I live where the Boykin breed originated and actually know some of the human Boykins. I have switched to using PennHip instead of OFA because of the Boykin breed. Years ago the Boykin Spaniel breed had a terrible problem with HD. They were getting nowhere using OFA. Breeders in my area switched to PennHip. They now have an extremely LOW incidence of HD due to PennHip screening. I have been told this by numerous orthopedic vets.

Pam
CherrystoneWeims
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: O.K., so about Boykin Spaniels?

Postby hunter94 » Mon May 29, 2006 9:58 pm

CherrystoneWeims wrote:
R_Man wrote:O.K.,how about Boykins? I haven't seen one but understand they have a fairly high incidence of hip dysplasia:

Even though I am a Weimaraner breeder I can answer your question about HD in Boykins. I live where the Boykin breed originated and actually know some of the human Boykins. I have switched to using PennHip instead of OFA because of the Boykin breed. Years ago the Boykin Spaniel breed had a terrible problem with HD. They were getting nowhere using OFA. Breeders in my area switched to PennHip. They now have an extremely LOW incidence of HD due to PennHip screening. I have been told this by numerous orthopedic vets.

Pam

pam-

good for you! i have sung the prasies of PennHIP evaluations, but so few folks are open to the new technology (really not that new at all) and they are stuck in the 90's with OFA and AKC as the one size fits all organizations....too bad......good luck with your weims...they are super dogs, but need comitted owners/trainers to be their best!

hunter
read, listen, learn
hunter94
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby CherrystoneWeims » Wed May 31, 2006 11:57 am

i have sung the prasies of PennHIP evaluations, but so few folks are open to the new technology (really not that new at all) and they are stuck in the 90's with OFA and AKC as the one size fits all organizations....too bad......good luck with your weims...they are super dogs, but need comitted owners/trainers to be their best!

Hunter94-

I have asked friends who are human radiologists what they think of OFA vs. PennHip. They agree with me that PennHip is definitely superior to OFA. When humans are xrayed there is more than one view taken! I also don't like the subjectiveness of OFA. One of the ortho vets that I use for my PennHip testing is Randy Basinger here in SC. He is very well known. In fact George Bush Sr. sent one of his dogs for surgery to him.

BTW I have a wonderful stud dog that some people won't breed to because he is PennHip cert. instead of OFA. Oh well! Their loss since it is being shown with the breedings that we have done that he is outproducing himself (he was retired as the #2 Weim several yrs. ago and has field ability to boot!) with BISS and Futurity winning offspring. His offspring are also showing good field ability. He is also producing good hips.

We try hard to keep our Weims versatile. I have to admit that I do show my dogs to their bench championships BUT I also do field work with them. The bitch that I mentioned with the .24 hip scores will be running in Master in the fall. Her son (and my stud dog's son) will be started working on his Sr at that time also. (Weims do better when they are broken at around 2 yrs. of age since they are a softer breed and don't take the pressure well at a young age) They also have retrieving titles on them. In summer we do obedience and lots of swimming/retrieving.

Pam
CherrystoneWeims
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hunter94 » Wed May 31, 2006 4:12 pm

CherrystoneWeims wrote:i have sung the prasies of PennHIP evaluations, but so few folks are open to the new technology (really not that new at all) and they are stuck in the 90's with OFA and AKC as the one size fits all organizations....too bad......good luck with your weims...they are super dogs, but need comitted owners/trainers to be their best!

Hunter94-

I have asked friends who are human radiologists what they think of OFA vs. PennHip. They agree with me that PennHip is definitely superior to OFA. When humans are xrayed there is more than one view taken! I also don't like the subjectiveness of OFA. One of the ortho vets that I use for my PennHip testing is Randy Basinger here in SC. He is very well known. In fact George Bush Sr. sent one of his dogs for surgery to him.

BTW I have a wonderful stud dog that some people won't breed to because he is PennHip cert. instead of OFA. Oh well! Their loss since it is being shown with the breedings that we have done that he is outproducing himself (he was retired as the #2 Weim several yrs. ago and has field ability to boot!) with BISS and Futurity winning offspring. His offspring are also showing good field ability. He is also producing good hips.

We try hard to keep our Weims versatile. I have to admit that I do show my dogs to their bench championships BUT I also do field work with them. The bitch that I mentioned with the .24 hip scores will be running in Master in the fall. Her son (and my stud dog's son) will be started working on his Sr at that time also. (Weims do better when they are broken at around 2 yrs. of age since they are a softer breed and don't take the pressure well at a young age) They also have retrieving titles on them. In summer we do obedience and lots of swimming/retrieving.

Pam

Pam-

to get over the "hump" with some folks, i had my dog OFA rated as well. no since in fighting the old established venues for this, but there sure is a lot more info extracted from a PennHIP score...

again, good luck with your dogs.....

hunter94
read, listen, learn
hunter94
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby JLBoykin » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:45 am

I've been trying to decide between OFA and PennHip for my Boykin. The PennHip will run about $200 and the OFA is about $50. Are there any other costs associated with these tests besides the cost at the vet? Thanks,
JL
JLBoykin
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby CherrystoneWeims » Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:09 pm

JLBoykin wrote:I've been trying to decide between OFA and PennHip for my Boykin. The PennHip will run about $200 and the OFA is about $50. Are there any other costs associated with these tests besides the cost at the vet? Thanks,
JL

There should not be any other costs. The vet sends in the Xrays. It has been a while since I had my dogs done. Email me and I will find out for you tomorrow. My friend is having a couple of dogs that we cobred done tomorrow. I will ask her.

I think it is worthwhile to bite the bullet and pay the extra. It will pay off in the long run.

Pam
CherrystoneWeims
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby crackerd » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:11 pm

If you can get OFA done for $50, the clinic must be accepting Confederate money. Usually the cost is about what you're paying for PennHip. If the dog's getting x-rayed for that low cost, must mean the vet's not anesthetizing the dog, which means you may well get a poor reading/rating because the dog's not still for the camera. You also might want to contact the Boykin Spaniel Society and see what kind of rebate they're offering (if the offer still exists) for OFAing your dog.

MG
crackerd
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Next

Return to Spaniels