Russian Spaniels recognized by NAHRA!

Spaniel breed specific questions. Kennel information requests, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Russian Spaniels recognized by NAHRA!

Postby RSC » Mon Dec 01, 2003 2:42 pm

Russian Spaniel has been added to the NAHRA approved breed list! Russian Spaniel Club is happy to share the good news! :D :D :D

If you have never heard of this breed, visit Russian Spaniel Club website for information and pictures. :!:
RSC

Postby bntsetter » Tue Dec 02, 2003 11:49 am

RSC,
Congrat's, just a quick question about them though....WHat makes them any different then a springer (color?) or a english cocker? Being a pointing dog person they look very similar to the above breeds.

Keith
bntsetter
Seasoned
Seasoned

Comparing Russian Spaniels to others

Postby RSC » Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:22 pm

We have created a table that compares Russian Spaniel to other spaniel breeds. Please read through it, look at pictures. If you still have questions, we'll be happy to answer them

Major differences between Russian Spaniels and other spaniel breeds
RSC

Postby bntsetter » Tue Dec 02, 2003 3:33 pm

RSC,
Not to be argumentative BUT your comparison leaves much to be desired as it compares your Russians to show varieties of these breeds. Now in terms of the skull shape and such I am sure there are some differences but since I can't look over the dogs in the pictures this is not something I can appreciate. Also the legnth of the body seems to be something of a difference as well. However please look at some of these dogs for a more accurate comparison.

http://www.fieldcockers.com/photos/meg.jpg

http://www.seeyourpictures.com/Trial%20 ... %205x7.htm

Keith

p.s. I noticed that the description of work is different between the russian and the English cocker does this mean that they are more methodical in the field? OR is it that they work like a springer in that they can step over most things that cockers would have to jump? This is an interesting point as they are similare in size to the cockers.
bntsetter
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby RSC » Tue Dec 02, 2003 4:19 pm

When we made comparison, we used the AKC breed standards, not to specific dogs. The selection of the pictures was made in such a way that would illustrate the differences.

There is no division into working and show dogs in the Russian Spaniel breed. All shown RSs are working dogs. Since there is no separate breed standard to working ECS (for example), all we can go by is what is listed on the AKC website.

I, personally, have seen a number of field cockers (ECS) "in person", so I understand that pictures of the show cockers might ne misleading. Here are the main differences any non-expert would notice:

1. Short coat that does not require trimming, grooming, shaving, etc.
2. Longer legs
3. Elongated body
4. The shape of the head is different. IMO, it looks more elegant...but I'm in love with the breed :-), so you make your own conclusions.

Anna
RSC

Postby RSC » Tue Dec 02, 2003 4:23 pm

As far as the differences in work... think of a Russian Spaniel as ECS on ESS legs :-)
RSC

Picture

Postby bntsetter » Wed Dec 03, 2003 9:50 am

Anna,
Thanks for all the information!!!! I personally like to description of their work

"As far as the differences in work... think of a Russian Spaniel as ECS on ESS legs"

Very Interesting ;)

In terms of the other differences you mentioned I agree that the body does appear to be longer then either of the english spanials and the legs seem to be longer then a cocker but similar to the ESS. As far as the coat goes the fact that it does not require much grooming (every coat requires some) is only expected of a field dog. For example if you look at the field varieties of setters vs. the show varieties you would see a major difference between the coat legnth and structure.

Once again congratulations on the recognition by NAHRA and I hope to see some more good things for your breed.

Keith
bntsetter
Seasoned
Seasoned

coat care

Postby RSC » Wed Dec 03, 2003 11:59 am

When I said that coat does not require grooming, I ment it :-). When my VERY white Russian Spaniel gets muddy, I don't even bother giving her a bath... No I am not a terrible owner :-) ... as soon as the mud dries, it falls COMPLETELY off without leaving any dirt in her coat. Only the long ears need a little brushing. I give her a bath every 3-4 months. That's all :-) Cool, huh?
RSC

Coats

Postby bntsetter » Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:51 pm

Anna,
Sounds similar to my field breed setters. However judging from the legnth and type of coat I would guess that anything that sticks to the coat would need to be brushed out. As apposed to a harsh wirehair coat which does not accumulate burrs, etc.

Keith
bntsetter
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby RSC » Wed Dec 03, 2003 2:12 pm

Yeah, the coat is soft, so it will pick up burrs and such...but but but...they are still the best dogs :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Anna
RSC

Return to Spaniels