Time for a Lab puppy

Retriever breed specific questions. Kennel information requests, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Time for a Lab puppy

Postby Steve Anker » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:27 pm

VeeeDawgerz-

delving into the somewhat unknown (for us Longtailed pointing fellas) I'd pose a LAB question to all on this forum,

I'm looking for a Black Lab, of English lines, stocky square build, box head, small size-50-60# range.....any suggestions on a Kennel, references?

Here on the Ponderosa, our duck ponds have just been completed, our first series of ducks have become "native" and the plan is to raise/release ducks and have shoots for our members...plus I always needed a good excuse to get a Lab. My last Solid Liver GSP, she thought she was a Lab, and performed well for our purposes, but it's time for a new Lab pup.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Hoss
Steve "HOSS" Anker
ANKER OUTFITTERS
A-TEAM Gun Dog Training
FEATHER TERROR KENNELS

"Time with my dogs clears my mind, renews my faith, and lets me see the world as it is. My only regret loving dogs as I do, is the misery of their early departure." Robert G. Wehle
Steve Anker
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Time for a Lab puppy

Postby snicklefritz » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:06 pm

Sounds like you would benefit from an inquiry at RTF (http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums/). Those folks are really plugged in to Labs. You also might want to check out Wildrose Kennels. They specialize in English Labs.

Just a suggestion...
"When the sh*t hits the fan, you will not rise to the occasion. You will fight the way you trained."
snicklefritz
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby slistoe » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:08 am

So, you aren't really concerned with having a dog with any endurance in the field?
slistoe
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby crackerd » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:34 am

Steve Anker wrote:I'm looking for a Black Lab, of English lines, stocky square build, box head, small size-50-60# range.....any suggestions on a Kennel, references?

Steve, let's get you hip to the concept. You want stocky square build, box head and ...50-60 pound range in an English dog, this is what you get

Obviously, it ain't a Lab...

You want an English Lab of 50-60 pounds, small size, this is what you get

Obviously, it ain't stocky square build, box head and... but is in the size range.

English (British, Irish) Labs are all but indistinguishable in appearance from our own field-bred dogs and their temperament ain't much different either, no matter the hype that comes with them. (With a US performance Lab of said size, this is what you get

And I'm chuckling because of what you're thinking of using a Lab for--English/British/Irish Labs, 99 percent of them, never go into the water for a retrieve. Never need to; they're worked nonslip on driven shoots. (Not that they can't--my youngster is becoming a dynamite water dog and was the easiest dog to decheat I've ever had--of course she had to be trained.) Conversely, US retriever field trials started, 80 years ago, on "G'island," patterned after British trials only to diverge when water work became the determining factor and has of course been integral to our trials ever since.

Anyhow, good luck, there's a breeder out your way, I got a Christmas Card with her 15 Labs of both show and field type on it, and will try and put you in touch with her.

MG
crackerd
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Steve Anker » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:31 am

- Kinda thought this was a given- The LAB would be used for upland work as well, in case you didn't guess.
I prefer the smaller size for a multitude of reasons,
stamina?
We're not working dogs in a vast Kansas cornfield, just put-n-take Preserve duty, horribly utilitarian.
For a pickup dog at shoots, or the occassional guided 1/2 day hunt, or for a companion in the chilly blind, an English size would be best for us, I believe. Ultimately a dog to be integrated into my own pack, in the house, on the front seat of my p/u. I am open to other suggestions, but being pragmatic is top priority.

Don't mind other opinions-
Steve "HOSS" Anker
ANKER OUTFITTERS
A-TEAM Gun Dog Training
FEATHER TERROR KENNELS

"Time with my dogs clears my mind, renews my faith, and lets me see the world as it is. My only regret loving dogs as I do, is the misery of their early departure." Robert G. Wehle
Steve Anker
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Steve Anker » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:51 am

good luck, there's a breeder out your way, I got a Christmas Card with her 15 Labs of both show and field type on it, and will try and put you in touch with her.

Top Gun Kennels? Jackie S? Ridge, Long Island, NY -SHNIKEEEZ!..it just dawned on me.....

as I've said before...blunt force trama, blunt force trama...
Steve "HOSS" Anker
ANKER OUTFITTERS
A-TEAM Gun Dog Training
FEATHER TERROR KENNELS

Steve Anker
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby crackerd » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:51 am

Nope, a little further up the North Shore, but here you go, Steve: http://rhumblineretrievers.com/

Also, just saw in Labrador Retriever News, the parent club magazine, that Sue's dogs are cited again this year as "Dogs for All Seasons." That would probably unofficially extend to the "sofa season," or living indoors as family, as do my FT Labs.

Good luck,

MG
crackerd
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Steve Anker » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:13 am

CHRIKEY!

Sue and her husband are members of our Preserve, Yep, her Labs are a bit on the larger size, field trial stuff?
Steve "HOSS" Anker
ANKER OUTFITTERS
A-TEAM Gun Dog Training
FEATHER TERROR KENNELS

Steve Anker
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby crackerd » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:26 am

Mostly HTs with a few trial dogs coming from their breedings. I believe Sue no longer runs field trials--sad to say, the venerable FT scene on Long Island has been lost in the mist of time (and lost to development). The Long Island Retriever Club carries on as the oldest in the country but its trials are now run in Jersey. Anyhow, most FT dogs are fairly good sized to go with their athleticism, the smaller ones that I run go against the odds. But you're right, the size of many of Sue's Labs would preclude them from FTs, or preclude their having a viable shot at winning or even completing a trial.

MG
crackerd
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Steve Anker » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:35 am

AWESOME- thanks for the mental JOLT- yes!, just fired off an e-mail to the Carpenters,

gotta stop eating those lead paint chips...

We held an AKC Hunt Test here on the Ponderosa for Retrievers a couple summers back, it was kinda neat to watch, lotsa hard charging dogs.
(Golden Club sponsored the event)

Big crowd at first, then it was sad to see the line of traffic going OFF the Ponderosa as the participants failed to make it to each next series,
Steve "HOSS" Anker
ANKER OUTFITTERS
A-TEAM Gun Dog Training
FEATHER TERROR KENNELS

Steve Anker
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby crackerd » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:03 am

Good luck with it wherever the new pup comes from and it's going to have the great good fortune to become a working gundog on your preserve.

Couldn't let your closing comment about forlorn departures go without noting the irony in it. Yes, the numbers dwindle with each series in HTs, but magnify it on a grander scale of failure for field trials--like a 100-dog open I ran last year, believe 18 dogs got out of the first series. Where the irony comes in is how FTs used to be on your alluvial soil--10-12 dogs in a stake, maybe 10,000 spectators watching them, not to mention the "well-heeled" owners whose dogs battled it out. These days, you get maybe 10 dogs back for the last series, and at the end of great endurance for the few who actually finish the trial, only their owners and perhaps the bird boys and marshall are around for awarding the blue ribbon.

Let us know where your pup comes from and all about it when it arrives.

MG
crackerd
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Alex V » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:41 pm

Steve, my brother, I can not blieve what I'm reading! are you serious ? :shock:
A LAB ??????? :crazyeyes:
Gota love them pointing dawgz
Alex V
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Steve Anker » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:38 am

Alex Veeeeee-

Yeah, need a full time water dog 'round here since we finished the ponds.

Nice to see ya the other day, glad you remembered how to get here, it's been so long....good luck with the brandeee new WHITE SUV. needs some mud on it, fella! Musta gotten a good trade in for the Vista Cruiser. :D

Hoss
Steve "HOSS" Anker
ANKER OUTFITTERS
A-TEAM Gun Dog Training
FEATHER TERROR KENNELS

Steve Anker
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby crackerd » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:41 pm

Steve Anker wrote:Yeah, need a full time water dog 'round here since we finished the ponds.

That being the case, you might've made other smaller inquiries

Ever heard of A. Hamilton "Ham" Rowan Jr. out your way? Ask Sue C. what breed the AKC's old director of performance events worked as a waterdog.

MG
crackerd
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Steve Anker » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:32 pm

YESSIR, he had just moved away from LI when I first got into the competition end of things a few many moons ago.

(pix)Whaaazat? a curly coat? Flat coat retriever?
It looks like a snow goose with a doglooking growth coming off it....

-got a lead on an upcoming litter from Sue,
will keep ya posted,
Steve "HOSS" Anker
ANKER OUTFITTERS
A-TEAM Gun Dog Training
FEATHER TERROR KENNELS

Steve Anker
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Next

Return to Retrievers