I'd like to see your Silver Lab - post pics please

Retriever breed specific questions. Kennel information requests, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: I'd like to see your Silver Lab - post pics please

Postby Titan » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:16 pm

Why when they're already correctly registered?
Titan

Postby slistoe » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:37 pm

I wonder if weims register their dogs as "chocolate"?

Why do breeds such as dachs and dobes distinguish between "black" and "blue" in their color descriptions?

Could it be that chocolate and silver are not really the same color? Could it be that the registrations are false?
slistoe
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Titan » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:36 pm

Well it's a proven fact that they are a dilute chocolate.
Truthfully, I think it would probably be better to register them as silver just so that people know their dogs ancestry, and it would be easier to distinguish a dilute from a standard color dog. But of course that's not up me. And will probably take time until the general population accepts them as a "real" lab.
Titan

Postby slistoe » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:01 pm

Titan wrote: And will probably take time until the general population accepts them as a "real" lab.

You are a dreamer.
slistoe
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Titan » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:42 pm

Or more like a realist on the subject. Do you think everyone can just continue to ignore them when their is absolutely no proof that there was ever a cross. There are already hundreds of thousands of "silver" labradors out there. It'll be just like getting chocolate labradors to be accepted by the general public. Which wasn't even that long ago.
Titan

Postby Coopdvlle » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:47 pm

Titan wrote:Well it's a proven fact that they are a dilute chocolate.
Truthfully, I think it would probably be better to register them as silver just so that people know their dogs ancestry, and it would be easier to distinguish a dilute from a standard color dog. But of course that's not up me. And will probably take time until the general population accepts them as a "real" lab.

When was it proven that they are dilute chocolate? Where can I see this proof?

Titan wrote:There are already hundreds of thousands of "silver" labradors out there.

You cannot be serious...
Coopdvlle
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Titan » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:17 pm

Probably should have said about hundred thousand. They've been around and known by most breeders for over 20 years for about years, most breeders have multiple litter a year. Each litter has averages around 8. I've personally marked about 200 websites, and there are people occasionally adertising, plus there are so many BYB's that breed without a website. So just an educated guess.
http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2156/6/34 , http://homepage.usask.ca/~schmutz/dilutions.html

Also, if you were to go to the link below and test a silver labrador for coat color then it would say that their genotype would be chocolate (bb) as well as dilute (dd). So silver labs are always bbdd. And charcoal (dilute black) are either BBdd or Bbdd.
http://healthgene.com/canine/colortest.asp?breedid=35
Titan

Postby GPBLITZ » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:22 pm

Titan wrote:http://homepage.usask.ca/~schmutz/dilutions.html

This website talk about silver in wiems and a few other breeds but not Labs.

Titan wrote:http://healthgene.com/canine/colortest.asp?breedid=35

This website on labs doesn't mention the color silver on there chart. :?: Every color has a marker but does that make it right in a breed? There's clowns who think all yellow GSP"s belong and there is not a cross in the blood some where back in the blood.
Last edited by GPBLITZ on Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GPBLITZ
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Coopdvlle » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:51 pm

Titan wrote:Or more like a realist on the subject. Do you think everyone can just continue to ignore them when their is absolutely no proof that there was ever a cross. There are already hundreds of thousands of "silver" labradors out there. It'll be just like getting chocolate labradors to be accepted by the general public. Which wasn't even that long ago.

There is also no proof that there wasnt a cross, I see proof when I see silver labs that look like weims I don't need a blood test to convince me.

Why did you buy a silver dog instead of a chocolate, black, or yellow?
Coopdvlle
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby GPBLITZ » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:22 pm

If silver is a delute of chocolate why have I never seen a silver Chesapeake? deadgrass , light deadgrass but not silver. Deadgrass shades sure don't look silver.
GPBLITZ
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Titan » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:02 pm

lol, they do have Chessies. Scroll down to look at the pictures. Notice how similair they look. And not mention that chesepeakes were used in the early 1900's to improve the labrador. And they also have very common ancestors along with the newfoundland. Both whom carry the dilute gene. Making it not hard to believe the possibility that it is a natural color :wink:
http://www.gundogbreeders.com/classifieds/3062.html

This website on labs doesn't mention the color silver on there chart.

That is because there is no test for a silver gene in any dog, just a DILUTE gene. The dilute gene is what makes all different types of dogs appear the silver color. Silver is just a name to describe the appearence of the dog. Such as how people call their yellow labs fox red or white. Just a name.
And yes, the website does mention labs. (the picture right below the Chow Chow)

There is also no proof that there wasnt a cross, I see proof when I see silver labs that look like weims I don't need a blood test to convince me.

Why did you buy a silver dog instead of a chocolate, black, or yellow?

If you photoshoped half of the field trial labs out there and made them a silver color then you would be screaming Weim! And being that silver labs came primarily from hunting lines and most(not all) breeders are breeding for color by close inbreeding, it's very easy to see why they appear to look like field dogs.

Why do people buy chocolate dogs instead of yellow or black? Or yellow dogs instead of black?
Being that natures camo is shades of gray, I could see why someone would get one when choosing a hunting dog. Color could pretty much be an improvement in the breed itself
Titan

Postby Coopdvlle » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:30 pm

I have not seen any field trial labs that I thought looked like a weim, I have seen a bunch of silver/grey/charcol ones that did though, it would not have mattered if the photo was in black and white. You obviously want to believe that silver labs are a natural mutation because you like them and own one. I happen to disagree with you 100% but hey enjoy the dog and hunt the heck out of it.
Coopdvlle
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby GPBLITZ » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:38 pm

I do have a fair amount of knowledge of the Chessie breed and in my opinion the pup is no more then one of the many shades of deadgrass.

Titan on Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:02 pm

lol, they do have Chessies. Scroll down to look at the pictures. Notice how similair they look. And not mention that chesepeakes were used in the early 1900's to improve the labrador. And they also have very common ancestors along with the newfoundland. Both whom carry the dilute gene. Making it not hard to believe the possibility that it is a natural color
http://www.gundogbreeders
GPBLITZ
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Titan » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:42 am

You obviously want to believe that silver labs are a natural mutation because you like them and own one. I happen to disagree with you 100% but hey enjoy the dog and hunt the heck out of it.

Since there's no full proof, until more information comes out (such as new lines popping up) That's pretty much it, you believe or you don't for the most part.
Titan

Postby Waffenmeister » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:46 am

:evil:

Why do people feel the need to mess with an established breed standard?

This trend towards "designer dogs" has now carried into sporting breeds?

First we have show people breeding hunting instincts out of the dog so they can win fashion shows. Now you have people screwing with the color of Labs.

Read the standard. Black, Yellow and Chocolate.

If you want a silver tone dog, get a Weim.
Waffenmeister
Started
Started

PreviousNext

Return to Retrievers