won't pick up ducks

Retriever breed specific questions. Kennel information requests, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

won't pick up ducks

Postby Tasha » Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:03 pm

I have a 2yr old lab that my husband and I trained for duck hunting. She will retreive dummy's all day long but when we drop a duck she swims out to it gives it a smell and swims back to us. Any ideas as to what we can do to break her of this and make her pick up the duck?
Tasha

Postby orhunter » Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:57 pm

Does she refuse other birds?

Sounds like time for force fetch.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Tasha » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:17 pm

When we were first training her she would pick up ducks, doves and even sometime pigeons. She will pick them up on land but not in the water.

What is force fetch?
Tasha

Postby Margaret » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:22 pm

Some dogs aren't over fussed on wet birds in the mouth.

What about this; find a narrow stretch of water or a ditch and put a duck on the dry land on far side. Have your dog retrieve so it must go through water to pick up the bird and through water to get back to you.
If this works, you can can start extending the width of the water, then put the duck on the very edge of the water, then in the water at the edge etc. until finally in the water itself.

Make sure your dog is reliably retrieving from land first. If your dog is, then this water training should go quite quickly. Problem is, if the dog goes duck hunting in the middle of the retraining and refuses to retrieve a duck, it may put your retraining back to step 1.
Margaret
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Tasha » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:34 pm

Thanks, I will share this with my husband at this point we are willing to try just about anything to get her to retrieve. It is just so much more fun hunting with a dog.
Tasha

Re: won't pick up ducks

Postby Doc E » Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:40 pm

Tasha wrote:I have a 2yr old lab that my husband and I trained for duck hunting.

What training program did you follow ?
I don't know of any modern Training Program that doesn't contain a section on Force Fetch.

Doc E
HR UH MHR WR SR Casey RIP my friend :(
HRCH HR UH Tucker 1270 HR Ch. points :D
HRCH HR UH Weezle 250 HR Ch. points :)
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Tasha » Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:36 pm

We followed the book called the Water Dog. I will need to read and see if it has anything on forced fetch. I was just asking b/c I hadn't heard of it.
Tasha

Postby TobyTx » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:20 pm

sounds like she just needs exposure to ducks. Get some live ducks to get her fired up. If you only work on dummies, well then she has no clue to what this wet bag of feathers is. Some will say FF, I was in the exact same boat as you and it was easily cured without FF. That is of course you have a well bred dog.
TobyTx
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby terryg » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:45 pm

Tasha wrote:We followed the book called the Water Dog. I will need to read and see if it has anything on forced fetch. I was just asking b/c I hadn't heard of it.

that's a 50 year old book.

get Evan Graham's "smart fetch" . he is a well known expert in the area you are concerend with and posts on this page so you can ask him qusetion if needed, however his system if very self explainitory.

you will be very happy you did.

this problem is very easy to cure with the right technique :wink:
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand guard around the world ready to do violence on their behalf!
terryg
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Tasha » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:32 pm

thanks for the input, will head to barnes and nobles tomorrow.
Tasha

Postby Tasha » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:45 pm

Thanks again for the input, I just order the book and will keep everyone posted on Kodi's progress. Thanks again for everyones input
Tasha

Postby snicklefritz » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:30 pm

Ditto Margaret and TobyTx.
"When the sh*t hits the fan, you will not rise to the occasion. You will fight the way you trained."
snicklefritz
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Return to Retrievers