info about curly and flat coats?

Retriever breed specific questions. Kennel information requests, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

info about curly and flat coats?

Postby hunting_alberta » Mon Sep 29, 2003 12:59 pm

just wanted to know if anyone has any experience with curly coats or flat coats? ive noticed that the flat coated retriever is slightly smaller than a golden, so would it be able to handle larger waterfowl? and i havent seen much on curly coated retrievers, are they good water dogs?
hunting_alberta

Postby slistoe » Tue Sep 30, 2003 12:40 am

Good luck trying to find an honest to goodness working model in either breed . Not that they may not exist somewhere.

You are concerned about a good goose dog - most dogs have ample strength to carry a 10 - 15 lb. goose around. What they need is intestinal fortitude to keep on trucking with the 20th heavy bird of the day or to face down the spread wings of a wounded gander.
slistoe
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Mark Copeland » Tue Sep 30, 2003 9:38 am

Not to knock the breed but I'll second Scott's opinion.

The only Flat Coats I've had experience with until recently was owned by Mary Young from Austin, Texas. After several years of competing and hunting she switched to a lab and named it "It's About Time". That should tell you something.

While training with retriever pro Cherylon Loveland of Wellington Colorado this past August I watched a Flat Coat she had in for gundog training. To much of my surprise this was a nice dog, lots of bottom-end. Cherylon commented that the dog had many lab characteristics and she liked him. However, this was one dog out of 10 or 15 that she's trained over the years that she could say that about.

Your odds are much better with a well-bred lab litter, however, if you're really set on getting one of these obscure breeds I would contact anyone of the above names for advise. The Flat Coat world is very small and they'll be able to direct you to some of the better kennels.
Mark Copeland
Started
Started

flat coats and curly coats

Postby hunting_alberta » Tue Sep 30, 2003 11:12 am

i havent really pushed the idea of obtaining either a flat coat or a curly coated retreiver, i just wanted some info on them thast all. I think ive settled between a lab or a chessie. you brought up a good question, which i have asked myself numerous times. most guys that ive seen with labs in the field, basically go out to target ducks, and will take the occasional goose, i still wonder if a lab will be able to repeatedly go after wounded geese. i still wonder if a lab would be more prone to injury than say a chessie, since it seems chessies are a little larger.
hunting_alberta

Re: flat coats and curly coats

Postby slistoe » Thu Oct 02, 2003 10:28 pm

hunting_alberta wrote:i still wonder if a lab will be able to repeatedly go after wounded geese. i still wonder if a lab would be more prone to injury than say a chessie, since it seems chessies are a little larger.

I really would hate to say "much ado about nothing", but will tell you this. When I was in my goose hunting "hey day" we would shoot geese 5 or 6 times a week for 6 weeks straight. There were 3 of us that shot regularly and we would hook up with a couple others on weekends. I was the only person around these parts with a dog - my Lab E H Lanny (named after Lanny MacDonald the hockey player) fetched them all. The most birds shot in one morning that I was working her was a limit of 60 geese for 12 shooters. I sold a fellow a lab pup about 4 years ago. In his first season the fellow stopped in for an afternoon pheasant shoot and was bragging on his dog doing an excellent job that morning fetching their limit of 40 birds - mostly Greater Canadas. I chuckled and said "I suppose you are going to tell me that he fetched every one of them too." and he queried his buddies about how many they had picked up while Duke was running down a couple of long fliers and came back to me with "No, he only picked up 35 of them."

Of all the geese we shot over those years I never did have a tussle with a dog and a goose. The geese put on a good bluff until that black steam roller gets inside of 10 feet and then they lay down flat and give up - every time. Don't know what it might be like if the dog showed some hesitation or apprehension - I've never owned one like that.
slistoe
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby kiwi » Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:10 am

still good working lines of curly coats in nz. much larger and head strong than a lab, similar to a chessie in alot of ways.
kiwi
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Margaret » Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:30 pm

People in my area shifted to NZ from UK brought flatcoats with them.
Taller than Golden Retrievers, have begun doing some retrieve work with them and apparently show a lot of promise.
Margaret
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Curly Coats

Postby Cora's Shadow » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:24 am

There was an article about Curly Coat Retrievers in the December 2005/January 2007 issue of GunDog. All of the Curly Coat owners in the article bred and trained their dogs for the field. If you are seriously considering a Curly Coat, I would start by calling the following woman and asking her about her dogs. Her contact info is the following:

Mary Veitch
7772 Howell Road
Sneads, FL 32460
850-593-5753
mjveitch@wfeca.net

Also, the Curly Coated Retriever Club of America has a list of breeders on their website. Included in the list is whether or not the breeders breed for field dogs. The address is http://www.ccrca.org/breeders.htm.

I don't know much about Flat Coats, but since they were the main foundation breed for the Golden Retriever back in the day, I imagine you could still find a good working dog somewhere.
Cora's Shadow
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Retrievers