help out this canadian kid!!

Retriever breed specific questions. Kennel information requests, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

help out this canadian kid!!

Postby hunting_alberta » Sat Sep 27, 2003 12:10 pm

hey everyone this is my first post on the board. im only 20 yrs old so i dont have the most experince with hunting dogs although i have been in the field since i was a tiny guy. anyways, my question is somewhat the same as a previous post on here just a little different at the same time. im looking at purchasing MY first retriever. i have narrowed it down to , chessies, labs, goldens and even flat coats, although ive found theyre a little rare in these parts, as well as chessies. just because of my limited training experience ive heard to be safe and go with a lab or a golden, but chessies really interest me as well. i usually hunt canadian geese or ducks out of a blind in farm fields, we dont do a whole lot of shooting over large bodies of water. we do however pothole jump and target mallards over small sloughs. now im from alberta canada so it does get a little chilly up here in the later parts of the season, and even at the start of prime goose time. so for my knowledge of traingin and for the style i hunt would a lab be best? or is a chessie or golden going to perform more precisely and work longer days than the lab? excuse my limited knowledge, but i am tryin here! lol, thanks again guys, looking forward to your responses!
hunting_alberta

Postby MCTuna » Sat Sep 27, 2003 12:32 pm

My brother runs Goldens and 2 things he has a hard time with (besides Hips) 1 not as great in the Cold as our Grandads Labs were. 2 Finds it hard to get a good hunting line!

I am a VD guy but I would say the same if this were a question about what breed to get of a VDog. You need to look at good hunting lines Titles or hunt over the dog! No matter what you do do your homework and spend the money. If you go to a Backyard breeder you have less of a chance to get what you want.

All 3 dogs if from a good hunting line would be a fit. Check out and talk to some top breeders and ask Questions. If it is possable to hunt over the dogs do it if not don't take peoples word for it look for titles! If you find someone you trust and get good referances then Testing isn't as important but I like to see it in the liniage myself. Also talk to a few Guides and see what they are using and where they get their dogs from. Make sure the Sire and Dame are PenHIP or at least OFA tested! Then when you get the dog join your local club for retrievers and TRAIN, TRAIN, TRAIN.
Best of luck I hope you get a good one!!!!!
Tuna
"Sam" Grey Wynn Franklin's Freedom SDX,RDX, NAVHDA UT 1 (204)
"Delilah" Westend's Buck'n the Wind SD,NSD, NAVHDA UT 2 (200)
MCTuna
Master Poster
Master Poster

heard that...

Postby hunting_alberta » Sat Sep 27, 2003 12:58 pm

thanks for the response. around here (edmonton Alberta) i have noticed that most outfitters use labs, hands down no questions asked. i was wondering if this is for a certain reason? do labs preform better in farm fields? one other thing i have wondered about, since we hunt mainly geese, and big canadian honkers at that, would a chessie handle large birds like geese more effectively than a lab or golden? i have done extensive "research" on what i should get, but kinda at no avail. if i ask a lab breeder or owner, naturally all i hear is how wonderful these dogs perform , and how theyre the best. if i ask a chessie owner same thing, and so on for goldens. basically i want a GREAT goose dog and duck dog that will be attentive and effective in the grain fields, is a strong swimmer and is a good family dog as well. also, ive always wanted to do more upland bird hunting like grouse and such, ive heard that labs will point and flush effectively if trained for it.
hunting_alberta

Postby gusto » Sat Sep 27, 2003 8:37 pm

Hunting Alberta, I am currently working at the Wabumun lake where they do the retiever trials, and got to thinking, why dont you contact the Edmonton retiever club. You probably seen them at this years sportsman show at the agricome. My brother owns a chessie, nice dog, powerful and has a great coat for all weather and nothing sticks to it. I also read they were the hardest of the retievers to train. Dont know if there's any truth to that though. I would put the lab and chessie ahead of the golden.
gusto
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Hunters Edge » Sun Sep 28, 2003 12:55 pm

I guess to be frank you can get a good dog in any of those breeds. The problem being is to find a good dog in some breeds it is exceptional for the breed itseld. In otherwords it is a rarity not average.

From what I have seen or oberved the lab is not only much easier to train but is much easier to find good stock thats available to choose from. They also on average have a good tempermant. In all respect though whichever breed you do choose your going to have to do the homework (research) to find the dog/bitch for you. Health in all retrievers should be where you should start make sure hips,elbows, eyes have been OFA'd or certafied, then look for the qualities your looking for. Good luck whichever YOU choose. If I was looking for a retriever my personal choice would be a lab but then I am not looking to own a retriever, I am more than satisfied with the versatility of a GSP.
Hunters Edge Kennel where Versatile Champions are born. Call on expected whelped dates or breedings, hunters only, please.
Hunters Edge
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby slistoe » Sun Sep 28, 2003 6:29 pm

A good Golden is as good as a good Lab, is as good as a good Chessie. But there is a reason why the majority of the dogs in the field are Labs - good Labs are far easier to come by than good dogs of other breeds. A Lab will have no problem retrieving geese for you - in fact there is nothing that a Chessie will necessarily do better than a Lab will. So pick the breed you like, for what ever reason suits your fancy, and then find a breeder of solid, reliable, working dogs in the breed of your choice.
slistoe
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: help out this canadian kid!!

Postby Morgandale » Fri Jul 16, 2004 11:32 am

hunting_alberta wrote:hey everyone this is my first post on the board. im only 20 yrs old so i dont have the most experince with hunting dogs although i have been in the field since i was a tiny guy. anyways, my question is somewhat the same as a previous post on here just a little different at the same time. im looking at purchasing MY first retriever. i have narrowed it down to , chessies, labs, goldens and even flat coats, although ive found theyre a little rare in these parts, as well as chessies. just because of my limited training experience ive heard to be safe and go with a lab or a golden, but chessies really interest me as well. i usually hunt canadian geese or ducks out of a blind in farm fields, we dont do a whole lot of shooting over large bodies of water. we do however pothole jump and target mallards over small sloughs. now im from alberta canada so it does get a little chilly up here in the later parts of the season, and even at the start of prime goose time. so for my knowledge of traingin and for the style i hunt would a lab be best? or is a chessie or golden going to perform more precisely and work longer days than the lab? excuse my limited knowledge, but i am tryin here! lol, thanks again guys, looking forward to your responses!

I would have to agree with Hunter's Edge. You have to do your home work on the type of lines your interested. Don't just jump in and buy a dog. Make sure it's the breed you know that will work for you. Here are some sites that you can look up info
OFA http://www2.offa.org/
Penn-Hip http://www.vet.upenn.edu.Pennhip/
Eyes http://vet.purdue.edu/~yshen/cerf2.html
and also I have some more links on my website if interested. I'm really big on health clearances. If you don't have a dog thats sound then you wasted your money just for a lovable pet. Make sure also you look into the back ground of the parents and make sure that there's health problems. But theres no dog prefect. And also get into a local club. You will meet people there too.
Morgandale

Postby VersatileRookie » Sat Oct 29, 2005 4:45 am

If you're still in the market, get a Chesapeake Bay Retiever.
Dog Breeding should be done by folks that are knowledgable and have Worthy Specimens
VersatileRookie
Started
Started

Return to Retrievers