golen retrievers in the upland

Retriever breed specific questions. Kennel information requests, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

golen retrievers in the upland

Postby thunderchicken » Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:49 am

My son recieved a Christmas puppy from his Grandfather a golden. I'm inquiring as to whether of not if anyone here has any first hand experience hunting over these dogs or training them? I don't know anything about the back ground of the dog and know it will be a long shot in the dog actually becoming a good field dog, but I figured that it is here and I would like to try it. Anythoughts?/
thunderchicken
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:14 pm

I've seen a number of them at retriever hunt tests and have been impressed with their temperament and smarts. Might depend on whether the dog's genetics come from hunting or show stock as to it's chances for being a successful hunting dog (and your son's training ability).
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ocsetter » Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:44 pm

I know that with a lot of golden's the hunt is being bred out of them. If the pup comes from good stock it should be great. I have hunted behind a terrific golden in North Dakota. I shot a rooster that went sailing as far as I could see. The golden took off and didn't return for about 10-15 minutes, before returning with the rooster. I was amazed! We figured the retrieve being 1000 yards or more.
ocsetter
Started
Started

Postby Kiger » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:41 am

Ive hunted them for 30 years. In general what youve read so far is true.

If the dog has much field breeding in its background at all you should have a great field dog.

The primary difference is The show folks are breeding for looks and havent done the difficult type of field work that a golden would face at a field trial or a hunt test. I dont knowo that the shos dogs wont hunt, its just that they havent been bred and tested for it.

The show dogs generally have a longer finer coat which is not much fun with burrs. The field dogs coats are shorter and coarser. they still pick up burrs more than say a lab, buts its really manageable. We just trim the problem areas the dog cant reach.

If you can scan and post a copy of the pedigree I can take a look for you.

As for training, I treat them pretty much the same as a lab. Same techniques. Some say they are softer which I think is wrong as far as the field dogs go.

I would get a copy of "Smartworks" By Evan Graham. I have not read it but have read anoher of his books. My bet is that will get you going on the right track.

It would be great if you could find a local club and see if you can find a training group to help you out. You can aalso post your question at Retrievertraining.net I think. youll get more consistent advice there regarding retriever training than you will here. Although Evan Graham has shown up here and he is a very valuable resource.

I would love to see some pictures also! My litters due next week and I dont care what you say, nothins cutter than little golden puppies!!

Ill help as I can. Send me a PM if you have any questions or post them here.

whether it hunts or not, your son will have a best friend!
Kiger
Seasoned
Seasoned

Return to Retrievers